Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Bad breath and Dry skin?

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
TheNeek, You can expect to feel nicotine withdrawal symptoms after you quit smoking. However, they usually improve after the first three or four days, depending on your level of nicotine addiction. Each smoker has different withdrawal symptoms - yours will be unique. Although they may be unpleasant, they do pass. When you experience withdrawal symptoms, remind yourself that each symptom is a sign of recovery - your body is in the process of healing itself. Think of withdrawal symptoms as growing pains. If you have a symptom that persists or seems worse than you expected, you should immediately consult a doctor. It�s possible that your smoking has been masking symptoms of some illness, and when you stop smoking the symptoms abruptly become noticeable. Hope this helps, Melanie ___________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 506 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm confused- why don't you chew gum anymore...maybe that's why your breath was so "fresh" [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,358 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $297 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
18 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek this is normal. Your body is working very hard to push out years of accumulated toxins. Your skin chemistry was based on chemicals that aren't there anymore, so it is adjusting. The skin that's peeling might very well just be that layer of tar and nicotine that gathers there, other people have posted about it on this board. As for your breath, your lungs are pushing out toxins as well, and the chemistry in your mouth is changing (healing), which is why people get mouth ulcers and sore gums. or bad breath! However bad your breath is now, it HAS to be better than smokers breath. Also, sinus issues can make your breath bad, and they are cleaning themselves out as well. Give it a few weeks. Congrats on 25 days! Meg [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 204 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
  • Quit Meter

$72,468.66

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 757 Hours: 21

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 208 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have just started to notice the bad breath myself... now if I'm noticing it just think how everyone else must feel ;-). I'm glad you posted this because I was wondering if it was related to not smoking. It just isn't fair, we should have wonderful beath if we aren't smoking ;-).
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Neek.. Grab some dinner mints.. plant them in your car.. ready at all times.. The gunk coming out is better than it staying in your body.. The skin peeling.. I don't know about that one.. could be just your body clearing away some old smokey skin.. some people say their skin gets better after quitting.. Drink more water.. hydrate yourself. Great 26 days !!! Hang Tuff ! Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,260 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $175 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 92 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks. It's hard for me to convince her that I have been ciggie free when my breath smells like this. I don't chew gum anymore, I don't do anything different, I just don't smoke. So I get home after a 10 hour day at work and I guess my breath is a little ripe. I just hope it goes away soon. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 454 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $117 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
My girlfriend, mentioned today that my breath hasn't been as "fresh" as it usually is. I am a die-hard flosser at night and I probrably brush longer than the normal person. I can't imagine that my breath smells bad because of something other than the fact that my lungs might be pushing out something kind of rank? My nose is peeling as well. My skin is VERY dry much of the time. Dandruff, my back, etc. I didn't used to be like this. Should I see a physician about these things, or have others in the past complained of such things? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 439 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
I quit chewing gum as a way to keep my quit alive. I closet smoked for a week (reason my first 16 day quit stopped). I realized I did it, because I had gum to cover my breath. So I decided to stop chewing gum so that I had no way of covering up the nasty smell. Does that make sense? It sounds weird. But to my surprise my breath stinks ANYWAY. Super! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 484 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
She's great, period. I love her so very much. Seeing her hurt when I snuck around, and it did really hurt her, was enough of a kick in the ass to take this seriously. I think that being serious about your quit is just as important as being prepared. Quitting like it is a "good idea" just isn't enough. You need motivation, you need drive, you need clairty. Many of these things we lack on our own. I've told her how hard it is, how difficult the urges are from time to time. She's been there through it all. She's so very happy for me and us. It's important that I quit. I think that our relationships is so much stronger than it was before. Her father smokes a pipe and my dad smokes cigarette's quite a bit. So it's important to her that I quit. She started out by saying it "bugged" or "bothered" her. Now it's really important. Sometimes I feel like she tricked me into quitting LOL. It's all for the best and I'm happier now with myself. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 485 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
I think the only thing I can really do is ride it out, just like everything else. Stay strong, keep it going. My roommate has a pack of cigarettes in the house (sucks). He was kind enough to NOT tell me where they are. He went to Mexico for spring break with some old college buddies of his. Said he smoked a ton. Now he has a pack of smokes in the house. I'm worried for him. I'm not so sure about the breath thing. I think I might just think of it as a good thing. The stinkier it is, the more junk is coming out of my lungs. HURRAY for stinky breath. Since you know my story you know that my trust level with the girlfriend is kinda low in the smoking department, so that is where my concern comes in. I know I've been clean, and I can't have proof to that effect. The bad breath just means she brings up the question "did you smoke today". It sucks, but something I have to deal with. Here comes an addict thought: Seems like the only way to prove that she can trust me is to have a smoke and tell her I did. Of course I'd never do that, but it's funny of much of a catch 22 I'm in. I smoke, I lose. I don't smoke, I feel bad because she asks me if I have smoked. I'm going with option B). Don't smoke. COME ON 30 DAYS!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 485 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $126 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38

Reading this thread: