Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

just noticed something...again

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Brenda
Addiction is cunning and baffling, Working On it. I don't buy the argument that it has zero IQ. If that were the case, we would surely be able to outsmart it. I treat mine like it's a genius and simply steer clear of it, since I cannot outwit it. I suspect that if you were to smoke after being 6 months clean, you would experience anxiety because of more reasons than what you cited. The disappointment of caving in, or becoming hooked again because you decided to experiment with your addiction, would cause a lot of it. Don't treat your addiction like it's an idiot. Continue to have a very cautious respect for it.
Wow, Brenda. Reading your words caused me to envision actually smoking one....and it sucked. It felt all yucky in my chest, gross, and unfit. 

I guess that's the type of paired association (cigarettes= yuck) I need. So that little mind-trip was a good thing.  
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 11

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Addiction is cunning and baffling, Working On it. I don't buy the argument that it has zero IQ. If that were the case, we would surely be able to outsmart it. I treat mine like it's a genius and simply steer clear of it, since I cannot outwit it. I suspect that if you were to smoke after being 6 months clean, you would experience anxiety because of more reasons than what you cited. The disappointment of caving in, or becoming hooked again because you decided to experiment with your addiction, would cause a lot of it. Don't treat your addiction like it's an idiot. Continue to have a very cautious respect for it.
11 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're doing great!  I struggle with those same type of stress triggers.  We're still trying to undo years of conditioning that looked for any and every excuse to fire off another hit of nicotine.  Keep searching and trying other substitutes.  I love the front porch swing and deep breaths.  While it seems, at times, that time is simply passing me by I find it extremely refreshing to know that I was in control of the 'moment' and won.

Continue to win one moment, minute and day at a time.

Keep the Quit,

Dave
  • Quit Meter

$50,471.10

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 11

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 3

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Working on it,

You have it absolutely right. Stress is a common trigger for many and learning new ways to cope with stress is a very important part of quitting. Actually many members who have had long quits and then slip usually do so due to a stressful situations.

So it sounds like you need to start working on new coping mechanisms to deal with stress. Taking a break and sitting on the porch sounds like an excellent coping mechanism! Taking a few deep abdominal breaths while your on the porch might make that break even more relaxing. What are some other coping mechanisms you can think of that you can start working on?

11 years ago 0 618 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Working,

You have been doing some self-analysis on the boards this week!  It's very helpful for everyone. 

These sneaky craves that arrive after you have been quit for a while are a nuisance, but isn't it great to be able to treat them as such.  They seem huge at the time, but if we were able to summon up the craves when we first stopped, and compare them, we'd see how low in intensity those sneaky craves are.  I hate to tell you, but they will continue to arrive unexpectedly for some time yet....I like the analogy to Pavlov!

Now we can reward ourselves for laughing at the crave!

Love Lolly.  
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Today has been a little bumpy. Not god-awful, but bumpy with 3 quick craves that popped up.

I just noticed something with the last one. The crave was in response to me having to do some work at home, feeling pressured to get it done, and wanting a little break/ reward after going at it for the past hour. What I noticed was that sensation of a little volcano building inside of me. That is what would have brought on a "cigarette break" in the past. It's not that a cigarette would bring relief for this feeling. After not smoking for nearly 6 months, I suspect it would actually raise my anxiety level by causing my heart to race, etc.

So, what's really going on is that I still sometimes associate the feeling of being stressed with smoking a cigarette. It's a paired association, as opposed to a cause and effect thing. In other words, I'm like one of Pavlov's dogs. The bell rang, so I began drooling for a nicotine feed.   That doesn't mean I'm actually hungry or that the "food" will make me feel any better. It's just an old association that will fade if I no longer provide that association by smoking. 

And writing about it gave some relief just now.  (sigh) I think I'm going to go sit on my porch now. I am still allowed to take a break. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,536.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 11

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: