Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

DON?T!

13 years ago 0 10 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go Pete! Had a lot of trouble logging in today so couldn't say so sooner. I too had a great weekend - got way better after Friday night, really helps to stay busy and focus on all the great reasons why we're doing this. Got the back deck, garage, and garden shed all sorted - so much more time now! I read somewhere that the physical addiction is done in 7 days, so we are just about there, won more day.
13 years ago 0 206 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks, Brenda -- Valentine --- Half-way through a Saturday and things are good.  (Okay, so I'm on kind of a manic tear, cleaning everything that's not nailed down, but any port in a storm, right?)  I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend so far!

peteg
13 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Pete and Valentine, you are doing wonderful. Winning each day. It will get easier. Keep moving forward.
Hi Pete, day 4 is feeling much less stressful to me too.

When I picked my quit date I thought about re-framing the commitment from one of  "jeez I hope I can do this" to "I am looking forward to this, it's going to be fun!". Okay, a bit Pollyanna, but I kept the "looking forward" aspect. Each time I notice something positive it is such a motivator - don't have to wash hair everyday because it doesn't smell! Don't need to get anxious about how and where to fit the next cigarette in. Don't need to wash my hands and eat a breath mint every time I have a smoke.

I used to do a lot of international travel and would invest a great deal of energy into figuring out when and where the last smokes before boarding would be, and the first ones after arriving. Funny thing was it never occurred to me to miss smoking while on board, even when the flight was a dozen hours or more, because it simply was not an option! Now when the old inner voice says "I want a cigarette" I repeat to myself in the whiniest four-year-old tone possible "I want a cigarette"... and the non-smoker me replies "so what?". I don't look like Sophia Loren and I would like that too. There are lots of things I'd like that I can't have and I don't let those drive me nuts.

Have figured out lots of things to do on the weekend to keep on the path. Including re-reading this when the boogeyman arrives!

Hang in there Pete!

Cool!  We can hang in there together, then, eh?
Just in time for me to trot out all of my plaid flannels!
Today has been an enormously stressful day (and here I thought it was supposed to be a nice, quiet Friday), and really, what I keep thinking is that if I were smoking, my stress level would be through the roof!  (Nothing like the voice of experience!)  So I'm staying calm while everyone around me is wondering what new drugs I'm on and where they can get some for their own.
How scary is that??  I'm suddenly an icon of calm.
Thanks for writing back!
Pete, I'm sooo in for won day at a time, currently tied with you at 2 smoke-free days. Love your sense of humour (yup, I'm Canadian too) and will hang in there with you day by day. I check in 3 times a day to stay motivated and it works! All the best and keep the commentary coming.
Well just look at what the cat dragged in.
Had a whole new string of loser days (Mahwah, NJ will do that to you), but am back in the saddle yet again.
I discovered that you guys (in the generic sense -- I stopped saying "y'all" a while ago) are more important to me than smoking.  Not quite sure how I missed that little reality before, but there it is.

As for the personal trainer -- we just couldn't quite get it together, so I got a different one, and he's amazing in a truly sadistic sort of way.  The funny thing is, I am so far below the baseline that it will be months and months of daily commitment before I will be considered "out of shape" by normal people.  A goal I intend to meet, alongside with never losing sight of you wonderful people again.

(I think I surpassed my quota of wild oats to sow.  The inner-child in me is waiting oh so patiently to grow up; guess it's time to stop holding him back.)

peteg
13 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete, congrats on winning a day today!
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 758
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 30,320
Amount Saved: $7,580.00
Life Gained:
Days: 116 Hrs: 18 Mins: 6 Seconds: 21

13 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete

Good to hear from you ... I was thinking about you today and hoping that you would pop by.  Glad to see that you took no nonsense from that personal trainer bloke .. you gotta stamp your authority from the get go!

I loved the fact that you referred to your 'beloved' as ... spouse ...  ... you ole charmer you!!

Great that you made it through today ... one day.

Luv Lil x

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 9/9/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 8
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 120
Amount Saved: �37.80
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 19 Mins: 45 Seconds: 24

13 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Pete wait till you are quit for awhile and then have a dream of smoking you will get so mad and then sooooooooo good to wake up and know it was a nightmare, hang in there :) Just stay with it, you are a quitter  Tresa
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2962
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 71,088
Amount Saved: $12,440.40
Life Gained:
Days: 388 Hrs: 23 Mins: 28 Seconds: 45

Reading this thread: