Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

Desperate - I'm Going to Give In

15 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trooper,                                                                                                                                            
I am really glad you've made it through the rough patch.  I know how hard that was, but you're feeling better.  You should feel REALLY proud of yourself right now.  Your tenacity is showing.  And here's to the nicodemon......POW...right in the kisser!!!!!!  Keep movin' forward, Trooper, your stats are awesome.

Cheers,

Jan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 115
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,875
Amount Saved: $948.75
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 3 Mins: 36 Seconds: 44

15 years ago 0 1890 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're really working it, Trooper... I congratulate you !!

patrick

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/18/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 124
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,100
Amount Saved: $1,395.00
Life Gained:
Days: 23 Hrs: 3 Mins: 19 Seconds: 30

16 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trooper,
I hope you've had a good rest and are feeling better now.  Don't beat yourself up or worry about a tiny little slip.  You've gotten lots of great advice here.  So many people care about you and your quit.  Please don't let 112 days of hard work end here.  Have you read The Easyway to Quit Smoking?  It might help you get your mindset in the right place to make this your forever quit.  Before I read that book, I used to feel exactly as you did.  I thought I was giving something up when I was trying to quit.  I suffered horribly and didn't think the cravings would ever go away.  In a very short time I would give in and smoke even though that was the very last thing I really wanted to do.  

The truth is we aren't giving up ANYTHING  good when we choose to stop smoking.  We're actually giving up all the bad stuff like emphysema, COPD, cancer, hardening of our arteries, tooth and gum disease and a whole list of other nasty health problems.  Smoking doesn't end our cravings Trooper, it just causes our next one. 

You've done an amazing job of not giving in to your junkie for almost 4 months.  Please turn the tables around on this addiction...it needs you to smoke so it can stay alive...you don't need or want addiction to live a full, free life.  Keep reading until you find the information you need to feel good about your quit.  Make it your own, protect it, build it up and know in your heart that you really can do this.  We're all here rooting for you and booing this nasty addiction.

Pat

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/28/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 476
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 19,040
Amount Saved: $9,520.00
Life Gained:
Days: 58 Hrs: 1 Mins: 50 Seconds: 43

• Quit Meter

$121,344.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 966 Hours: 14

Minutes: 2 Seconds: 38

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1356 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hey Trooper, I think the fact that you came here and asked for help, you posted tell me that you do want to keep quitting, I hope you put this difficult day behind you and stay the course.

Many of us have a hard time around 100 days, I quit using Chantix and actually had to take a few during that time or else I was going to have to kill some one.

What you are going through is normal, but you don't have to give up, just give yourself some space and time, a few deep breaths, try to re-center yourself.

You are worth this quit, this life, keep going down that path.  We are right here to walk with you and help.

Sue

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/3/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 380
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,800
Amount Saved: $760.00
Life Gained:
Days: 37 Hrs: 2 Mins: 31 Seconds: 56

16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trooper,

I haven't been at the center in awhile.....but I saw your post. Read this and tell me if you still feel like having a cigarette.

Are you aware of ......what exactly is in a cigarette? What goes into your body when you smoke the thing?

Well, the three biggies are –

Nicotine – a fast-acting drug that creates one of the most powerful addictions known. Its natural function in the tobacco plant is to kill insects. It works very well. That’s why it’s used as a cockroach poison.

Carbon monoxide – a poisonous gas that replaces the oxygen in the blood. The higherDogend the concentration, the quicker you die. Also known as SHWO – Sad Housewives’ Way Out – because in the old days town gas contained quite a lot of carbon monoxide. You can imagine the rest.

Tar – that black sticky stuff on the roads. Definitely not designed to live in a human body. But if it is inside you, it will hurt you. And hurt you bad.

The tar itself is a disgusting mixture of things you should know about –

Acetone – also used as paint stripper and as nail varnish remover. You know the smell.

Ammonia – In cigarettes, ammonia compounds speed the delivery of nicotine to your brain. They also distort the tar measurement of cigarettes, giving artificially low readings. “Lite” ain’t so lite.

Arsenic – Yes, really.

Butane – Cigarette lighter fuel.

Cadmium – as used in car batteries. A poison so deadly, and which biodegrades so slowly, that it is a particular hazard to the environment. Cool! You’re still a threat after you’re dead!

DDT – another mass murderer of insects. Why do you want this in you?

Formaldehyde – Used for preserving dead bodies. Which is rather ironic, don’t you think?

Hydrazine – Rocket fuel, would you believe?

Hydrogen cyanide – Now we’re really getting down to business. Used in gas chambers. Tell us before you go. What terrible crime did you commit to deserve this cruel and unusual punishment?

Methanol – more rocket fuel!

Phenol – Gotta love this one. It’s used for disinfecting toilet bowls. Say no more.

Propylene glycol – anti-freeze

Toluene – “an industrial solvent”. That means it dissolves things. Including you.

Vinyl chloride – Plastic. No comment.

Other things are there to ‘taste nice’. For example, coffee extract, sugar, vanilla, cocoa, menthol, oil from clove stems, caramel and chlorophyll.

By the way, when cocoa burns, it produces bromine, another charmer. Bromine is an agent that dilates the airways. Wider airways, more smoke every puff. More smoke, more nicotine.

Menthol is not there for the taste, either. It numbs the throat. So you can inhale better.

What else is in tar? Radioactive polonium and lead, that’s what. To be precise, lead 210 and polonium 210.
Polonium 210 was famously used not so long ago by the KGB – the Russian secret police – to kill a dissident in London. It worked.

So, ask yourself. Why am I inhaling radioactivity? What’s in it for me? What’s in it for my family?

There’s a couple more things you need to know.

First, the tobacco companies are into genetic engineering. The idea is to create tobacco plants with much more nicotine.

Do you want a list of the over 500 things that THEY ADD TO CIGARETTES ON PURPOSE?  I'll send it to you if you like!!

Hope this helps
Mercy

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/21/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 482
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,640
Amount Saved: $2,723.30
Life Gained:
Days: 63 Hrs: 21 Mins: 18 Seconds: 40

16 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trooper, I'm going to say a couple of harsh things. First of all, the craving would have gone away whether or not you smoked. But you chose to smoke instead of waiting. You chose to smoke instead of plowing through. I'm sorry that you wish you had never started the quit. Because you went 112 days without smoking. That's almost four months. One-third of a year. That is a huge long time. The nicotine was long gone out of your body. It was pure addiction that you chose to succomb to. Now what?

Well, I will echo what Breanne and Lou said. It isn't the end of the world, and hopefully it isn't the end of your quit. But they are right. You have to want to quit for yourself. You need to figure out why you want to quit. Because if you really don't want to quit, then there isn't any reason for you to have come back here. But you did. That means you want it. So you have to figure out what you're going to do. Dump the quit? Or dump the addiction?

Do the program. Do other programs...there are others out there also. Do everything you can to save your quit...and your life. Because that's really what's at stake.  

Good luck, Trooper!

Rusty
16 years ago 0 79 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hi Trooper.  Man, do I understand how you're feeling.  I've been on the patch since Feb. 12th & was weaning myself off, only using it every other day til last Wed. the 14th.  I was about to rip someone apart.  I also have the lozengers.  My sugestion is, go to the store & get some.  Oh my Gosh, they really help me.  Especially when I'm driving.  It helps the craving & settles me down.  Good Luck in this CRAZY thing we are all doing.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 95
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,325
Amount Saved: $969.24
Life Gained:
Days: 12 Hrs: 13 Mins: 32 Seconds: 56

16 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Trooper... looks like we were posting at the same time...

Your not a failure...  lets start from here...

Start back over with the program here, write down all of your personal reasons for quiting and get into place some solid coping skills...  You can't quit for your husband... quit for yourself.  This is a hard road, but you can do it!!!  You aren't the first to slip and I am willing to bet you won't be the last.  Remember that PMA (Postive Mental Attitude) is a major key in quitting.  When things get tough try to find the good.... it isn't easy, but can be done. 

Get some rest, you have really worked yourself up today... 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/18/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 395
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,900
Amount Saved: $1,975.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 12 Mins: 7 Seconds: 12

16 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trooper,

Don't be so hard on yourself. I understand that you feel disappointed, but you should also remember that you have already gone 112 days smoke free. That is something to be very proud of.
If you feel like you are caught at a crossroads between continuing to smoke or continuing with your quit, before you pick up that next cigarette, we would encourage you to review your reasons for quitting. We would also encourage you to look back at your slip. What contributed to it? What is the underlying issue? Do you need better coping mechanisms? Do you not know how to deal with your emotions or stress?

Take the time to look back and learn from this slip. You can overcome whatever obstacle that led you back to smoking. You can stay on the right path and if you need help, just ask!

We are always standing at the ready, all you have to do is reach out and post.
Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 706 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Trooper,

Smoking won't fix anything and if you did smoke then you would feel guilty and horible after.  This is a rough battle, but a battle than you can win.  Relax and do some deep breathing.  Get a nice warm shower and don't stress over the company coming over.  Try to change your line of thought... try to get your mind off smoking.  I know it is hard to do, but if you can get your mind somewhere else then it is easier.  You can make it through this.  We are here for you!!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/18/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 395
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,900
Amount Saved: $1,975.00
Life Gained:
Days: 31 Hrs: 12 Mins: 6 Seconds: 23

Reading this thread: