Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,788 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Almost 6 months down and BOOM!

17 years ago 0 4 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmm it didnt attach last time, if it doesnt this time i give up lol
Hey all, im doing much better now, its been a few days and most if not all the thoughts of it seemed to dissipear. Im still coping with anxiety but it seemed to ease up a bit. As for my quit meter, ill attach it for you all to see :)
Thanks every one for the guidance. Ive talked to my mom, whos been a nurse longer then ive been alive (and also a smoker) about the symptoms id have when a "craving" hit. She said it sounds alot like a small panic attack (which ive had before, before i ever started smoking). Plus when i was having them before my life was in a very smiliar situation. When i get this feeling i dont want a smoke, theres no urge to go get one and light it, there no urge to have one in my mouth, infact when i think about it i get queezy because i remember how bad i felt when i did smoke. The only thing that seems to make me think about it is the relaxing effect. I think im starting to get to the point where anxiety is building to the danger level and my bodys looking for excuses or ways to calm it (i have 7 freaking fish tanks, it might suggest that for once! lol). My doctor knows about my anxiety problems as well as past bouts with depression, and infact i do have some anxiety pills here (i thought id thrown them out, until this morning) so when i get this feeling im going to try taking one of them, and maybe chewing gum or putting on a favorite movie. With any luck when the stress goes away so will this feeling. If not ill go to my doctor and talk with him about other alteratives. :)
On the third of Oct. (my 23rd birthday) ill be smoke free for 6 months. This is my first quit and before this i smoked for about three years. I had it easy when i quit, one bad day then minor cravings for a week or so then nothing. Yesterday (Sept. 18th) i was watching tv, just some random show and some one on the show did somthing (im not even sure what) but it triggered a craving, a bad one. I was shocked that i was having one now, after so long with out one. The feeling was almost like pressure in the back of my head, my body got hot, i started sweating and i got worried since this hadnt happened. It didnt last to long. Today around the same time of night i started thinking about it and boom, it came back. It wasnt as bad the second time but it still concerns me. I dont know why its happening all of a sudden. I live with two smokers so youd think it would happen more often but it doesnt. Im terrified ill have to start again due to bad cravings or a mental break down. I think part of this is due to recent problems with my back and legs, its not allowing me to go out or even due anything fun out of this house, so all i do is sit and think. And thats leading to problems, which leads to stress and depression. Id love to change that but at this time i cant. I just need some help or advice because i really do hate this, it makes me feel weak and just bad. Please help
17 years ago 0 117 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This started to be a problem for me also...had to go to the Doc. I would just panick and freak out but did not really want to smoke. One day in my car I went to reach for my lighter, why dunno??? I quit smoking!!! And lost it had to pull over and just froze there lost and confused. That is when I knew the smokes masked something and I might need some help. I think that I have seen the Dr more now that I quit smoking. He does not mind though he has been wanting me to stop forever!!!!! Good for you 6 months [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/21/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 37 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 938 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $129.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shaun, Maybe some Vitamin B would help with the stress levels? Your mum could advise better than I probably, but when I was suffering from anxiety, Vit B helped and stuff like Valerian. Just thought I'd put my oar in!!! Hope you're feeling better. Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 849 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �168 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shawn glad you're doing better. On with the quit one day at a time :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 105 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,586 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $420 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 3131 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shawn, keep yourself busy, and you've gone without a cig for 6 months you know how to do it, self talk, you are a non-smoker you don't smoke. Just a thought ,do you breathe in a lot of second hand smoke from the smokers in your environment? Maybe it makes you crave. Keep strong don't smoke :)Marie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 98 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,476 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $392 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
17 years ago 0 2838 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shawn: Sorry to hear that you can't get around right now, but there are other ways you can occupy your mind. Maybe staying busy will help. I know when I have a lot of 'down' time, that is when I have the urges most. Crossword puzzles and word-searches help me. I never really liked that kind of thing before, but now I am not only building my vocabulary, but I find it relaxing and calming. Perhaps an on-line course in something that interests you. Take up a new hobby to keep your hands busy.....JUST DON'T SMOKE!!!
17 years ago 0 2257 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Shawn - Where is your quit meter???? It's good to post it up everytime to give yourself some affirmation of being quit. Hope you are doing better today. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 185 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,156 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $647.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 17 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42

Reading this thread: