Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,657 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PGOMEZ, Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE

Having extra bad stress and it's making me want to smoke

17 years ago 0 102 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm sorry to hear about your troubles, the only thing I can say is that I'm sending a big hug and a lot of strength! Brenda [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 99 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $30.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
17 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I know where you are comming from mama, my husband worked at a major health insurance company and was laid off. We were making over 150 a year so we were all a little spoiled. Then we sunk our savings into a compnay that went bankrupt and between the strees of all that and having to move into my mil's guest house made me start smoking after a 2 1/2 year quit. I'll let you in on a little secret though...smoking that cigarette didn't get my husbands job back, it didn't make that company take off like we had hoped it would and when I look out my bedroom window each morning it's still my mil's house I see. Smoking didn't help any of my problems go away. It only made them worse because now the money I could use to take my kids to McDonalds or some other little treat goes to buying cigarettes. I have a teen, too (15yo girl) and giving up her cell phone just about threw her into a tizzy, lol. I also have a 7yo who doesn't really understand what "financial problems" are she just wants that toy. But they both understand what smoking is and that its bad for you. I'm sure your kids will adjust, give them time :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] -16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
17 years ago 0 772 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are never alone we are with you all the way. I know that you loved going to the health club, maybe there is an alternative? You can get good workout videos on DVD these days, that would burn a lot off. I think being skint is pretty good. I was skint when I quit smoking. I HAD to quit. I had �20 to live on for 2.5 weeks and i had to get petrol for work to anther city out of that, so I HAD to quit.. And I ended up still having money left at the end of the month. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 838 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �247.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
Good news Mama! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 869 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
Also, with the money. Write down your incoming and outgoing. Be honest. If there isnt enough for this month then CONTACT THE CREDIT COMPANIES. Dont bury your head in the sand, that will just make matters worse. Work out a budgeting plan. AND STICK TO IT. If you are short just for this month, see what you can get away with skipping just for this month contact the companies and explain. Things will be ok. I know that you go to church, so remember that God never gives us more than we can carry. Just learn from your experiences, and i am sure the month will fly by and you will be surprised at how well you have managed. In fact you might be very proud of yourself. We need to be challenged sometimes to see what we can really handle. Whatever, for sure smoking will make matters worse not better.. you will have a lot less money if you are smoking ALL DAY EVERY DAY! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 832 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �247.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
Hello Mama! x I am sorry that you are going through a tough time right now. I want you to think about the following, its important. Ok first of all, money is money. It comes it goes.. we get stressed about it, but can you remember a time in your life when you did not have enough money to eat food? No. I bet you cant. Secondly, you know that you CANT just smoke ONE cigarette or even a packet. If you smoke, then you will be smoking all day every day. How much is that going to cost you. Thank god you dont have to smoke anymore, thank god you dont have to spend any more money on it.. every single day. Have you forgotten how much it cost? Thirdly, and I think almost most importantly. Smoking wouldnt take away your stress, it would only add to it. People that smoke are more stressed than people that dont smoke because a) they need to consistently relieve withdrawal pangs b) we only remember cigarettes as relieving stress, because it withdrew a pang for nicotine. But you only needed one drag on a cigarette to withdraw that pang.. but i bet you didnt just smoke one drag of a cigarette huh? You can see clearly now. How fantastic is it that for the first time you are beginning to learn NEW COPING MECHANISMS.. you are no longer burying your head in the sand.. or rather in a cloud of smoke! You cant hide anymore. You can deal with life, you can live life. What freedom! Well done you! Remember when I posted that my heart was broken, when I had split up with my partner? (and i did feel terrible like my insides had been ripped out) we did sort things out and things are ok again. Now i wanted to smoke then.. i really wanted to smoke. But I didn't instead I handled the situation WITHOUT smoking, and I feel so proud of myself for doing that. i felt stronger in my quit for doing that. Smoking will not help your situation. It will FOR SURE only make matters worse! Ok, now for your teenagers! I had kids like that. My world fell apart a few years ago and I thought i was going to lose my house etc, I had to fight for it. My kids instead of being supportive, they added more stress and continued to place demands. I put my foot down. You know what that actually taught them something. Last month I went out for dinner with my eldest, and she said,
17 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have very surprizing news! My 24 year old son came to dinner tonight and gave me 300 dollars! I can't believe it. I feel wonderfull and bad at the same time! I have really raised a great young man and he considers it to be pay back for all I have done for him. This will get us through untill the 15th of next month for food and gas and stuff and then, we'll have to see how the next check is but we are ok for now! Praise God and Charles! He is sooooo awsome! Love, Mama [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,135 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $159.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
  • Quit Meter

$74,962.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6526 Hours: 4

Minutes: 32 Seconds: 9

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Well, today I feel better. I got some rest and so did the kids. They seem more agreeable now but we will see how it is the first time they can't have something. Also, I went grocery shopping for the week (without the kids, I sure didn't need to hear begging) and bought just the essencials and got away with $76.00! (I have a lot of stuff in the freezer too). I never would have gotten away with that when I was smoking, just the cigs would have been $45.00! Now I just need gas and then we are at least set for this week. My son is going to summer camp (it was already paid for), so we won't have to deal with him. I am having to cancel my health club membership too. That is the thing that is breaking my heart but it is not a nessesity. So I will need to learn to keep my weight down and get enough exersize with out it. It's good to know that this has happened to other teens and they didn't die. Mine are having fits about everything and I am sure it will take a while but maybe they will eventually adjust. We need to really cut back because if something does happen to my job, there is no way to get a job that pays nearly that much because I am in sales and I would be starting over. So we need to save some money for an emergency. Anyways, I am feeling better and I am glad that God has taken care of us for this week. I'm glad I don't have to stress about the money for cigs. I'm glad I won't have to worry about big medical bills if I get lung cancer or have a heart attack. Thank you so much for your help! It's good to know I am not totally alone in this! Love, Mama Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,098 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $153.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
  • Quit Meter

$74,962.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

I am having really really bad finacial problems and problems at work. My kids and I are going to have to make some major lifestyle changes and it is extreamly stressfull. It is especially bad because I have spoiled teenagers and they are really resisting this because they have never had to go without before, and now all in sudden, everything is going to have to change. I am also feeling very guilty because some of this is my fault. I blew too much money when things were good and didn't save anything. In the past, I would have sat and smoked and smoked and not faced these feelings. I don't know how to handle them now. Isn't it silly that I am saying all this money problem stuff and then wanting to go spend 26 dollars on a carton of cigs? I don't know, nothing seems to make and sense to me anymore. I also think that some of this is panic. You see, my company is being sold. So if I lose my job, we will really be in trouble. But the truth is, no one knows what is going to happen or if anyone is losing thier jobs. But my check was really short this month because my sales are way down. So we will be struggling just to eat, and I can't make all the credit card payments. Help!!! I would love to just sit in my chair and enjoy a few cigarettes! What a relief that would be! Love, Mama Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
  • Quit Meter

$74,962.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Sorry, I think I better go to bed now before I do something I will regret. I will look at your responses in the morning and appreciate any I get. I hope things will look better in the morning. Love, Mama Melba [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 6/18/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 26 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,078 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $148.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
  • Quit Meter

$74,962.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: