Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

I cant stop eating....

9 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I would rather be eating a little to much than smoke even one more cig. However you need to be careful not to replace one addiction for another good luck if you need to eat more for awhile do it but be careful
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Shannon!!!

My exact thoughts for like the last 5 days!  I'm now going to have to start eating like a rabbit again... lettuce, carrots, celery... and maybe some lean protein in there, too!  One thing about quitting is that for most of us, food tastes soooo much better now!  Another thing is that our metabolism slows down so we really have to be conscious of our caloric intake and try to get the exercise in to counteract those additional calories, right?  Yeah, right! 

In the end though, we need do whatever it takes to protect our quit.  If nibbling helps, so be it!  You're doing great!

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,287.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1060 Hours: 0

Minutes: 50 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks guys...I will try to take it easy on myself for a couple of days.  I just don't want it to get out of hand.  I got some exercise in today, so feeling good
11 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Hopeful,

Litsa is absolutely right. Try not to be too hard on yourself. Try to eat healthy snacks, exercise and drink water but make your quit your number one priority. Even if you gain a lot of weight the potential health problems are far less then the health risks of smoking. You can always lose the weight when you are smoke free and feeling fabulously healthy. 

So stop the guilt - if anything that makes the eating worse.

Congrats on day 4! Over half way through Hell Week.
Ashley, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 43 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Hopeful,

Try not to stress too much about the eating. You are on day 4. At this stage you can be as grumpy and eat as much you want! You are changing your whole life for the better and change requires a bit of struggle.
Why not try to eat low carb type of food? Celery sticks, carrots - things that take a long time to chew. Someone once also mentioned sucking on a clove. Apparently, it has antiseptic qualities and numbs your mouth a bit.
My substitute for smoking has become tea (with no sugar). Every time I am craving a cigarette, I make myself a cup of tea. The fact that I am moving around and doing something also takes my mind off the craving, I think.
Stay strong!

11 years ago 0 86 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Day 4 and I can't stop eating.  It is the only thing that is bringing me comfort.  I know I should not substitute one addiction for another, but I am giving myself whatever it is that I need so I do not smoke...ahhhh!

Reading this thread: