Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Gaining Weight!

11 years ago 0 186 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have just quit smoking for 16 days now.I changed my eating habits and lost 28 lbs before I quit.
I am already starting to gain even though I am still watching what I eat and I exercise at least 5 times a week.
Getting a little scared, both things are hard to do and I do not want to loose the results I have gained from either.
11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Original Post by: Roses
Bump!!!

Bumping this thread up for all of us who gained weight on our quits..
It is a  reminder that smoking never helps anything..
Never has Never will..

NOPE  Not today...
Red...
Yep, Roses. I am heavier than I have ever been in my life right now. That is because I focused first on simply quitting. I also go into pigging out in those initial quit days (since my blood sugar was so wildly off) and then continued those habits just because they felt good.  Exercise program and eating in moderation has only been implemented in the past few weeks here. (No diets. I don't do diets.  )

Nonetheless, I am confident that I can get into decent shape here. In fact, I think I will be in better shape as a result of not smoking.  Since my heart and lungs aren't struggling with all the carbon monoxide, I expect that my workouts will be more effective, allowing for better muscle development, etc. Plus, I think I will eventually be able to work out longer and harder than in the past; again I think that's due to my heart and lungs being in better condition. ...In the meantime, I can already see some results in terms of toning, less soreness, and better endurance. 

A while back, I read something in Freedom From Nicotine about the weight gain. It basically said that there is no point in returning to smoking in response to weight gain, since that only results in an overweight smoker, who puts even more pressure in his/ her heart and lungs. I also have a friend who had to do several rounds o quitting before reaching her final quit. She told me that she gained weight at each quit attempt, but never lost it upon returning to smoking. So she just got heavier each time.  

I guess the moral here is that we can't turn back the hands and we can't undo any weight gain by smoking. What we can do is accept ourselves, even be proud of the fact that we are no longer smoking, and work on the diet and exercise if we really don't like the extra weight. 
  • Quit Meter

$22,510.65

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 601 Hours: 17

Minutes: 10 Seconds: 55

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bump!!!

Bumping this thread up for all of us who gained weight on our quits..
It is a  reminder that smoking never helps anything..
Never has Never will..

NOPE  Not today...
Red...
11 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I am pretty glad that you can quit smoking. I do it 2 years ago and I really feel so free and happy. I get extra gain too after quitting it. But only your strong desire to lose weight can come back to your form. Good luck, dude!
13 years ago 0 230 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well im giving an update to an old post.  I'm a week away from being smoke free a year and im still 10lbs over my pre-quit weight.  I gained 22lbs total when i stop smoking.  I didn't eat anymore either.  Things just slowed way down. I've never had a weight issue before. I've been trying to diet off and on for months now.  If i had it to redo, i would of started cutting out a few calories back when i first started my quit.  But can't go back, so now all i can do is diet this weight off and its NOT easy!(not sure which is harder, lose weight or quit smoking)  lol.......I really wanted to be at my pre-quit weight on my one year annivesary, but i'm not gonna make it.  I'm not on this forum much anymore, ive moved over to the healthy weight one.  Even tho i gained all this weight, im still happy to be a non-smoker!!!  
13 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
3 pounds is amazing!!!!!!!  Great job Gimm
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 10/24/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 254
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,540
Amount Saved: $952.50
Life Gained:
Days: 19 Hrs: 20 Mins: 6 Seconds: 52

• Quit Meter

$544,872.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4807 Hours: 17

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Hi sfree, good luck with the 5k!  I have a treadmill in the house and a bike that i'm using.  I rather get outside, but its so hot and humid right now.  I've lost 3 pounds already. 
My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 230
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,200
Amount Saved: $2,300.00
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 5 Mins: 21 Seconds: 57

13 years ago 0 61 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gimm-I can sympathize with your struggles with the weight gain.  I too gained a few lbs, oddly enough it wasn't right away it took a few months.  But I feel better now than I did when I was smoking so I am writing off those stubborn 5 lbs!!!  Do you know any other quitters that live near you that you could walk with? I signed on to do a 5k in the fall so I can start training for it by walking and running.  This way I can actually cross the finish line and in order to do so I have to train or I never will make it so I'm stuck-which has proven to be good for me.  Stay strong and remember WE WILL get there, but one step at a time.  Keep the quit

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 10/24/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 243
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,430
Amount Saved: $911.25
Life Gained:
Days: 18 Hrs: 23 Mins: 42 Seconds: 37

• Quit Meter

$544,872.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 4807 Hours: 17

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Gimm,

It can hear your frustrations with the weight gain. It sounds like you know how to get the weight off, make yourself a plan and stick to it. Set yourself small goals to achieve along the way. Decide how many times a week you will exercise, start meal planning...etc Do what has worked for you in the past. We are here for support if you need it.

Samantha, Health Educator

I've gained 20 pounds in last seven month!  I went on a diet and got most of it off, now i've gained it back.  I'm still gaining.  Well i was until yesterday, I've started on a diet AGAIN.  Never had a weight issue until now. 

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 11/6/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 228
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,120
Amount Saved: $2,280.00
Life Gained:
Days: 25 Hrs: 22 Mins: 45 Seconds: 17

Reading this thread: