Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,654 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Julia725, RFULLERO, OJOIZA ALTHEA, PKENNETH LANCE, JSABAS

Don't do this but it worked for me

14 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cristinas:

Ok but before you do it, don't do it as I did...Try to get a medical opinion, I am not real big on Doctors as I think they are to ready to prescribe and hide.  I am sure that most have good intentions, but I never felt that they have enough time to work with individuals.  It is after all a business just like any other and that means that they have to keep the conveyor belt moving.  We need therefore to do our own research and ask questions all the time.  In this case I had an objective and I went after it in the most direct manner I could. 

Look into rice, I don't think it ever did anyone harm.  Grapefruit juice also seems to have properties that effect cholesterol levels.  There was a study in Israel using Ruby Red Grapefruits that appears to suggest this.  Again this is all speculation and you really should find someone who knows more about nutrition than I do...

stay well

nonic  

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/25/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1104
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 33,120
Amount Saved: $11,592.00
Life Gained:
Days: 216 Hrs: 2 Mins: 54 Seconds: 39

• Quit Meter

$66,748.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1377 Hours: 6

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mmmmmm, i love carbs. They're natures metabolic primers.

Complex carbohydrates are best as they give you slow release energy and help to burn fat + help regulate food cravings by keeping you full for longer.

If you ever want to loose weight fast, ditch sugar.

tbh i would avoid the Soy tho.
Roast potatoes... nom, nom. nom.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/1/2005
Smoke-Free Days: 1827
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 63,945
Amount Saved: $16,625.70
Life Gained:
Days: 264 Hrs: 20 Mins: 48 Seconds: 58

• Quit Meter

$12,564.78

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 628 Hours: 16

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 49

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic, as usually you manage to bring in me a smile and a "thinker pose" at the same time. I have to admit that the no meat thinggy is something I would really, really dread... so chances are that I will adjust your rice diet just a tad. But in general, I like it. Rice over potatoes - yes. No fried foods - definitely. Soy milk - I'll stick with the low fat, thank you... But yes, since it is resolution time... I will give it a shot. But you know that even the best of the Spartans could not do it from time to time without a very important thing - the kick in the rear... So I will be looking for you around buddy for that one. Deal?
Keep the quit
Cristina

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 89
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,115
Amount Saved: $404.95
Life Gained:
Days: 8 Hrs: 12 Mins: 4 Seconds: 52

Samantha

You are quite right and I do hope that I am not giving anyone bad advice...I do tend to do things in a Spartan like fashion and that may not be best for everybody...However, I did find the basics of the Rice Diet to have a lot of merit.

stay well

nonic

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 216 Hrs: 2 Mins: 18 Seconds: 59

• Quit Meter

$66,748.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1377 Hours: 6

Minutes: 37 Seconds: 35

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for sharing nonic, as you mentioned this may not be suitable for everyone. Before making any drastict changes in our diet it is advisable to consult with our doctor. Each person has unique conditions, deficiencies..etc.
I am glad that your numbers have improved and that you are feeling much better. Congrats on sticking with your quit for so long, continue to check in often!

Samantha, Health Educator
Following my quest to rid myself of cigarettes, I took on the second item on my little list- weight gain and getting a handle on cholesterol and have had some success...However, I will tell you this from the get-go, what I did is probably wrong and I do not advise doing it...Having said that I will give you my solution...
I started by having a blood test done, part of which produced the dreaded cholesterol panel...Here are the results:

Cholesterol: 234
Triglyceride: 72
HDL: 60
LDL (calculated) 160

weight: 181 lbs height 5'10...

For my age and overall physicality I was 34 points over the limit on combined Cholesterol, ok on triglycerides, ok on HDL and 30 points over on the dreaded LDL...

My risk factors for heart disease are high...My father passed from heart problems at the age of 68...

It was time to step it up a bit...

My doctor immediately said "No eggs, cheese, fried or fatty food"...Oh yea and by the way here is a prescription for Lipitor...

So of course, I immediately said thanks doc, you can keep the script and you will need to find another patient, because I can see that you have decided that there is no other way in this matter, except to sell me out to the pharma industry... I don't think he cared for that...But I have to protect myself and I will find a better solution...

So...Here is what I did and again I say...I do not advise it...nor am I suggesting that anyone do as I have done...Everybody has to make their own decisions with regard to health and well being...

9 months ago I left all of my favorite foods behind.  I stepped up my bike riding from 20 mile trips to 30 mile jaunts, I stopped lifting weights because I knew that the diet I was about to begin was not going to put any more musculature on my frame...Instead I went straight out on the aerobics...

I looked around for a basic food that would give me most of what I needed without the fats and associated cholesterol...I have been in enough places around the world to get the fact that a good portion of the human race manages to exist on rice as a mainstay...So that is where I began...Rice became my basic food...

For that period of time I ate nothing but rice, vegetables, soy milk, high fiber cereals, wasabi, tuna without mayo, salmon steaks, walnuts, grapefruit juice (by the gallon)...I have become a real devotee of cheerios.  My job entails constantly traveling from place to place by car so I always had a box of those little guys with me at all times.

That is it and again, I am not advocating this for anyone (except myself that is)...But here is what got done in terms of the numbers:

After 9 months

Cholesterol: 146
Triglyceride: 88
HDL: 41
LDL (calculated) 87.4

weight: 161 lbs height 5'10...I am happy to report that I have not gotten any shorter...

I have since learned that there is in fact something called the Rice Diet.  It was developed in the 1930s by Dr. Walter Kempner in an effort to fight obesity, diabetes and other diseases.  Apparently he had some initial success and the program does exist today.  The program itself is not simply about consuming rice, however, it is a rather elaborate set of lifestyle changes that is based on his work...If you have the money and the time it is possible to participate and go through the program...However, I would certainly recommend that anyone interested in the whys and wherefores of metabolism have a look at what this man has to say...The folks who do this thing call themselves Ricers...I am not big on that kind of thing, but there is a great deal of beneficial information available around the basic concept...

My protein numbers are down a bit, but I am working on that...And my niece says that I look a bit gaunt...But that may be the result of working 70 and 80 hour weeks for the past two months...So ok give me some turkey...I am not a complete nut you know...My niece of course disagrees, but I think she loves me anyway...

So that is it and I am sticking to it...I do like to eat closer to the ground and dearly love working my vegetable garden and all...My nephew likes to remind me from time to time that there is nothing more boring for him than watching old people garden...I think he means well by that and if I where his age would probably feel the same...I tell him hang in little brother, you too will come to know the power of the calendar...But for now "May you be forever young"... 

stay well

nonic

My Milage:

Life Gained:
Days: 216 Hrs: 2 Mins: 0 Seconds: 20

• Quit Meter

$66,748.50

Amount Saved