Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,509 Members

Please welcome our newest members: ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise

Yep - enough weight gained - now its time!

15 years ago 0 955 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
  freespirit,
Gaining weight when quitting smoking is a common concern. Two things seem to cause this weight gain. First, your body metabolism slows down when you quit, so you don't need as much food as when you were smoking. Second, you may use food to replace cigarettes and end up eating a bit more than before.

Tips to avoid gaining weight while maintaining a quit:
Eat healthy, tasty, well-balanced meals as much as possible. Avoid fad diets.
Since food may taste better after you quit, you may want bigger helpings. Try to eat the same amount as usual.
Nicotine withdrawal can cause constipation. Drink lots of fluids.
Eat low-fat snacks like crackers, fruits, veggies or toast, instead of donuts, candy, or potato chips.
Moderate your use of alcohol. Keeping your hands busy with smoking may have slowed up your drinking before. Without a cigarette, your rate and number of drinks may increase along with your weight.
Get up and get moving! Physical activity can help to counteract any weight gain.

Start with a small achievable goal. Example: Walking 10 minutes everyday. Once you’ve gotten into the routine, change the activity goal. Example: Walking 20 minutes everyday, attending a fitness class once a week, join a sports team, take up a hobby that gets you moving like rock climbing or dancing.

What is key to remember is that increasing your level of physical activity requires changing your routine, therefore selecting a goal that is in tone with your current lifestyle in the beginning makes it a more manageable change and thus more sustainable over the long-term.

Members, feel free to post your thoughts and experiences on weight gain here with us, we all learn from each other.

Stay close to the boards freespirit and continue to let us know how you are doing!

Sarah, Health Educator
  • Quit Meter

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 0 Hours: 0

Minutes: 0 Seconds: 0

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 447 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good for you on your quit and your determination to lose weight.  When we quit smoking our metabollism changes and you gain weight no matter what in most cases.  I am 8 months into my quit and have gained 15 lbs.  I gained an additional 5 at about 5 or 6 months quit.  I am a very healthy eater and always have been but do not worry to much about eating anything if I want it.  You are going to have to exercise like crazy as well.   Try to remember that food does not have to be blah and boring just because it is healthy.  Another thing I know is that eating healthy becomes a great habit and then the food you once considered exciting and yummy will soon not taste as good to you as it did.  That's a good thing.  I am tall and thin so the weight that I have on isn't all that bad and excersing will put it all in the right spot eventually.  LOL
Terry

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/17/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 234
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,340
Amount Saved: $351.00
Life Gained:
Days: 26 Hrs: 15 Mins: 28 Seconds: 58

15 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Laurie! can't believe you are almost at 50 days! way to go hon- thats just terrific- you must be so proud of yourself, well done you!!
Oh the weight gain- Laurie I wish I was as focused as you and also that I had just put on 8 pounds I reckon I have put on almost 12 pounds and my husband is the same.
The funny thing is the gain is all around our middles, our tums, not really anywhere else?? and neither of us have ever carried weight before so the whole gain/diet thing is all new to us.
BUT....we have joined the gym and are trying to improve our diet and ignore the sweet cravings we seems to have that have replaced the smoking!
We console ourselves this way though. We no longer smoke, and yes we have gained a few pounds, and now we are well enough into our quit to try and deal with the weight issue- so good luck with yours and I'll let you know how we get on too! 

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 151
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,775
Amount Saved: $2,265.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 18 Mins: 43 Seconds: 18

15 years ago 0 19 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
K 49 days no smoke - 8 pounds gained.   Got a handle on the quit - now its time to get off these pounds before they start taking over.   BUT oh boy did food ever taste so good (since I quit smoking) but enough is enough!

I'm on day two of the 6 week body makeover:

I did this eating healthy routine about 1 yr. ago and lost quite a bit so I know it works.  I just get tired of eating the same ole foods over and over again.  

I have a goal to loose at least 10-15 pounds by March for our Hawaii vacation - so healthy bland foods here I come for round two!  So if I stick to it I should be able to loose that much in the a lotted time frame.

Any suggestions on what others are doing they may work?

Thanks,
freespirit

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 49
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,225
Amount Saved: $260.31
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 9 Mins: 54 Seconds: 0

Reading this thread: