Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Cigarettes gone... next step Coffee??

16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Of course coffee is a trigger and early in the quit you should be careful with it, add sugar if you like it black, drink it black if you like sugar or avoid it altogether, Food is a trigger. Sex is a trigger, walking the dogs is a trigger, Talking on the phone is a trigger waking up in the morning is a trigger, a drink is a trigger a snack is a trigger. driving to work is a trigger, break time is a trigger coffee or no. Everything is a freaking trigger but it's cigarettes I wanted to quit not life. The best part of quitting was that cool spacy feeling I had at first wish I could get that back! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,088 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $890.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For the first few days after quitting, caffeine works double duty and contributes to that shaky, outer space feeling. Cutting back or changing out to tea sometimes can help with that as well as the trigger aspect. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 33,292 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,161.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 170 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 51
  • Quit Meter

$54,828.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 12

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 1209 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I thought maybe having a cup of coffee in the morning would be a trigger, but it hasn't been. I only have a couple cups in the morning usually and once in awhile I treat myself to a Latte. I know there is controversy about caffeine. After stroke the psiatrist I saw told me not to quit.. the caffeine would help to stimulate the brain... and If I got fatigued to have a cup.. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/10/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 35 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 595 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Greger, For some people, coffee is a trigger and they choose to avoid coffee in order to make their quit easyer on them. They think of coffee and they automatically want a cigarette. Congrats to you on your quit! Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
There are many fine Swiss Water Process decafeinated coffees available, they can even be purchased as green unroasted beans if you are a total coffee freak like some people I know. The beans can then be roasted at home for a freshness and quality that many are simply unaware exists. I've been known to suck down a Mountain Dew on a hot day for a caffeine fix but for the most part prefer that black elixir of life Coffee! Ya I'm a coffee snob LOL If you love coffee I can teach you many things, If your just addicted to caffeine for the sake of the buzz then coffee still wins, it has more caffeine than Mountain Dew! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,088 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $890.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
16 years ago 0 447 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gregor I did exactly as you've said. I started doing half and half a while before I quit thinking I might be able to quit easier if I didn't have so much caffeine. I have switched to caffeine free pepsi of which I have one a day so my caffeine intake is down. I don't even use half caffeine anymore and I love coffee. Terry [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/17/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $42.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 30 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
I saw this thread and was mildly shocked that anyone would see a need to stop drinking coffee. Diet Dr. Pepper? By all means stop using that unnatural and poisonous blend of chemicals. If you see a need to reduce caffeine then cold turkey is most definitely not the answer. Taper it off slowly by mixing caffeinated coffee with decaf, Excedrin will cure the headaches almost immediately, it contains caffeine. My own oppinion is that cigarettes spoiled the taste of my coffee for all those years, if you find your coffee doesn't taste quite right, buy better coffee. The stuff you were drinking was probably crap anyway. If you can't afford better coffee then get a better brewing system. Those 'coffeemakers' on everyones counter produce crap coffee even if the beans are of fairly high quality and recently roasted. Look into a French Press Pot, it brews better coffee and takes up a lot less space. It's just a tiny glass and steel pot, you put the coffee in, pour in the hot water, stir and wait a minute while it brews. Then press the coffee grounds to the bottom with the plunger and pour. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 212 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,088 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $890.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well you guys? Did you give it up or not? I'm broke and found myself out of diet dr pepper yesterday and woke this morning with the worst headache you could imagine! So much pressure in my face and head that I thought it would explode! I brewed some tea and am getting my caffeine in that way, but let tell you - this scares the crap out of me when I think of giving cafeine up! Anyone know of any way to avoid or lesson the head pain when you get off of caffeine? Tylenol and Motrin didn't touch it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 590 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 44,250 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11,062.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great advice Freedom! Josie, Health Educator
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Coffee, that�s a strange one. When I was smoking, I used to drink an ungodly amount of the stuff. However, I have found that since I no longer take my pleasure from smoking, the need for coffee has slowed to a mere trickle of its former self. I have not yet figured that out. It may be that there is some yet undiscovered link between caffeine (sp) and nicotine. It may be that the two have a chemical symbiosis. In my case that certainly was true with nicotine and alcohol. Perhaps you will find that as you leave nicotine behind the other will follow. nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 405 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $4,252.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 75 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$66,591.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1374 Hours: 1

Minutes: 5 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: