Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,532 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Cigarettes gone... next step Coffee??

16 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just found this thread. Never occured to me to stop drinking coffee (or tea which also contains caffeine). I just drink good quality instant (not an oxymoron really Greger!) I agree with Unhooked. What is the point of avoiding all triggers or the addiction has won. Certainly, in the beginning, if it is just too hard to face some situations then think of another way round but otherwise one has to live life but better for the lack of cigarettes in it.G Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 357 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,712 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1,785.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
OK, when your triggers involve underwear & you read my post, let's say it's opposite day, mmmK? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 310 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,200 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,410.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
now I'm all confused. I thought you were saying I need to face my triggers, unhooked. I was just gonna shed em, but I guess I'll pull em back up. But, they are big girl panties, so I guess i'm on the right track anyways :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 362 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,461.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 911 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wonderful clarification Unhooked! It's about fulfillment not deprivation :) Love it! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 427 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,195.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The point is to overcome the triggers, not just avoid them, no? Isn't that one of the awesome parts of quitting, that we are able to enjoy life even more without having to smoke all the time because we learn how to live without addiction? If we avoid situations that might be fun because they could trigger us, & we stop doing things we like because of an association, aren't we still slaves to the addiction? Avoiding or giving up other enjoyable things becasuse they might be triggers, results in that resentful feeling of being deprived, and we all know where that leads. Quitting is not for cowards. When it comes to triggers, feel the fear & do it anyway. That's how you strengthen your quit, that's how you grow your self-esteem, and that's how you know you're doing it. And thanks for putting on undies, Aloha. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/14/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 309 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,180 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,399.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dancing naked in the streets was always a trigger for me..that's why I wear undies now [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 362 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,461.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 31
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with you, Greger! I refused to give up my coffee because I quit smoking. I just made up my mind, that coffee was a keeper, cigarettes were not! End of story! Sometimes you need to use some determination and common sense. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 379 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,475 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3,998.45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, As a connoisseur of fine coffees and a bit of a gourmet I could have told you that, 4 cups of coffee a day are considered safe for a pregnant woman. (AMA) In caffeine that adds up to about 8 cups of Dr. Pepper. I wonder how much Soda is considered safe? Nisty, the first line of my last post "Of course coffee is a trigger and early in the quit you should be careful with it" acknowledges that I am aware of it's affects on smokers. Everything you eat or drink, almost everything you do, could be considered a chemical trigger as blood chemistry is in a constant state of flux. Various nutrients, toxins, chemicals, and whatnot being absorbed, resorbed, used and discarded as you are fighting this maddening addiction to Tobacco. You can do whatever you want, you can eat. drink, dance naked in the streets but you cannot smoke a cigarette. You must face each and every trigger head on at some time. Quitting is just that simple. NOPE. Really. Not one. Ever. Not easy, but simple. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 214 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,136 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $898.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
well my coffee quit day came and went. It was just a couple weeks before I was ready to put away the coffee machine when on the news came a segment about how coffee was good for you!! So, been still having a cup in the morning anyway. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 320 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,000 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,120.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, everything is a 'freeking trigger' but everything isn't a chemical trigger that can weeken some people, and make it very difficult for them to quit. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 610 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 45,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $11,437.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 54 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41

Reading this thread: