Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,528 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

A Bicycle!

16 years ago 0 177 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Unhooked - you made my blush. Okay, not really, but you made me think -- Sue, you might have to respond to that statement for the good of the group! John - I am sooo impressed. My husband gave me an 18 speed for xmas last year. I want SO bad to ride it but I am terrified. The one time I did ride it I forgot where the brakes were and let's just say I had an intimate moment with a bush. I just can't figure out the gears - any help? 20 miles - I am getting a bit dreamy now. Sorry Sue but a man on a bike in tight black shorts... Oops, sorry, that is my neighbor. Back to confession! Have fun and let us know where those pictures end up - I LOVE photography! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/18/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $279.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
16 years ago 0 541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hehe, Yes amongst other things I suppose your right there Heather. :) So, I put more air in the tires and went for another spin. A bit easier but still nothing like my younger days on my ole 10-speed. These new bikes are weird, I feel like I am riding with all my weight on the front tire. Had to adjust the shocks so they don't compress as easy. That too was something I was not used to. Did 20 miles so far (2 days) results? Gained a pound! Augh Off to the mountains now to get some fall photos, wish I had a bike rack for my car. See you all in a few days. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 167 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,175 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $584.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 3541 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
John, I don't ride a bike, but I would guess that isn't the only thing you do at 1/2 the speed of when you were 15. Just sayin'. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 156 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,716.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
Candi, did you find it unusually more difficult to get speed up on the bike? I went from a Road Bike to this new hybrid or "Comfort Bike". I too havent riden since I was quite young, 15 (now 45) I now seem to be riding at about 1/2 the speed I used to cruise at from my younger days. It is still a lot of fun, boy I am out of shape! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 166 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $581.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 25 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 23 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just got back on a bike today. Havent been on a bike since i was 14 years old. I hooked up a kid seat in the back and rode all the way to my moms house which is a state over and its only 4 miles there. Its been an Indian Summer here so it was a beautiful day. Hoping to go again tomorrow. My 1 year old loved the ride I am hoping it help me loose some weight already gained 10 pounds not too happy with the weight but very proud that i went a month now if this weight would come off i be well worth it. Cuz little depressed with the weight [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]9/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 31 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,240 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $241.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
I saw a similar post on a different board. Apparently people have forgotten that we are to share the road. It is also a shame that people get so angry these days. The roads around here have about 2 inches to the right of the white line before you are in the dirt. One town has made 4 foot wide bike lanes on some of their roads which is nice. I think it is awesome that you can ride to work Navigator! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/3/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 156 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,900 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $546.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
16 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Navigator I underatand your concern, I too ride a bike and suffer the same difficulty. I believe that riding on the sidewalk is a matter of local law and as such is different in different places. Here it is against the law, so for the most part I stick to streets. Unfortunately. Most people in this country are tied to their cars and have never ridden. Therefore, they do not understand the perspective of the bi-pedal commuter. Most honestly do not even see us and there are some that will take their own pent up rage out on you for simply being there (those are the kinds I would like to confront one of one)... Riding is my passion and I will not give it up...I wear a mirror on my helmet so that I can keep an eye on the traffic behind me...I find that it actually a very good tool...You can get one at any bike shop... Stay well out there and safe, it is a great way to increase the lung capacity and over all stamina... nonic [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]12/25/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 285 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,550 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,992.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
  • Quit Meter

$66,580.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 19

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 12

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 213 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I started cycling to work everyday, during off peak driving hours to be able to fit some exercise in my day to day to routine. I live the perfect distance from work (4 miles). This is the problem I am having. Drivers of vehicles seem to think I have no right taking up their road space and either pass me so close that a flinch of my handle bar will put me under thier tire or they get in front of me and slam on their on brakes. It is illegal to drive on sidewalk (legally I am intitled to one lane) and driving to the far right in the gutter only puts me at further jeapordy for the road rage who seems to think they are the only person on the face of the earth who the roads were built. Any ideas to help me with this problem? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 477 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,540 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,717.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 46 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
JDK! no we don't have any snow yet, although it is in the forecast for tomorrow. We just put away the "summer stuff" this time of year and the bikes go too! November is usually when the snow flies, but we have had it stay in October. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 214 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,257.70 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 26 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a great smoke free life you have coming your way!! oohh the joy of it. mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 256 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,144.32 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 33 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5

Reading this thread: