Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.750 posts in 47.055 threads.

160,546 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Water&Forest, MBERNICE ASTRID, SLOVELY MAE, BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57

I've Gained Weight

17 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Way to go, TRISH! Three weeks!! Little by slow is the way to go - you're doing it ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 782 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $236.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I was so concerned about gaining weight, but I thought to myself if I start some fitness right away maybe it could offset the weight gain. By the way my idea of wealthy is so have enough money to hire someone to do the workout for you...lol...anyway little by little I try to do some exercise...yes, I don't like it but I can breathe easier now that I don't smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 409 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $110 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 70 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My best advice is to just go to the gym. Make your goal walking/running and NOT weight loss. Weight loss will be a huge perk if you lose but a major upset if you don't (like me). The first day walk as far as you can and far enough to brag about it!
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hudson - You say that you're not an inspiration, but read your post - your story is great & so encouraging! So, I'm going to follow your lead and start off slow and take it from there! Danielle - thanks to you too - it helps when I think of setting smaller/more obtainable goals and working my way up! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,665 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $305.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,475.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5541 Hours: 1

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Changing, Start small. Set a goal for the week and meet it. Ex: 20 minute walk Then increase the goal at your leisure. Ex: 20 minute walk twice this week. If you do your physical activity on the same day at the beginning, it will make it easier for it to become habit. Most important, have fun! Find some sort of physical activity you'd actually like to do. Keeps it from feeling like a chore. Hate the gym, take up a sport, go swimming, whatever you're interested in. Danielle _____________________ The SSC Support Team
Hi Changing! I find it hilarious-ly wonderful you wrote I was an inspiration. That's so not me and I want to thank you for making my day. I always said the hardest part of working out was getting out the door. So I locked the door - LOL! One day I made myself go and I just went. Didn't want to but went anyways. I didn't think about the next day or the next I just went to the gym that day. The first day I walked three mile (27 laps) and it took me exactly 50 minutes and I was bored to death but proud that I could say I walked three miles today! I did that for two weeks until I became even more bored and didn'tlose any weight (very frusterating time - lot's of tears). Still sticking with three miles (walking a day) I decided to see if I could run one lap without stopping. I did the one lap so I ran a lap everyday for a week and walked the rest of the way to complete three miles. Then I ran three laps at one time and felt like Rocky. Then I used an Ipod and wow did that make all the difference. I kept going and going one day and ran a mile! Wow! Did I just do that??? I realized that I quit running because I was completely mentally bored to death and just quit - and I wasn't exhausted. Then I found a program on the net. Eventually using a treadmill I got up to three miles. It took a few weeks but I eventually got to 3 miles. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,730 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $430 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 1155 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hudson - Wow - I'm very impressed! I would appreciate some advice - (1)How did you get yourself to go to the gym that first time? I think that if I started going I would get hooked & dedicated...just finding it hard to get that initial push to start. (2)The first time you went to the gym, did you start running right away? Thank you for posting - You are an inspiration! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,661 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $305.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
  • Quit Meter

$1,135,475.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5541 Hours: 1

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 47

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Trish - I completely agree with you and I'm happy to report that I've blown myself away and am now a "runner". I have gone to the gym everyday since my original post ^^^ and started running. I've never run before in my life, I couldn't run past two houses on my block and never really excercised seriously before. I now run 3 miles everyday. I honestly thought I would have lost more weight but I have lost a total of six pounds and am one pound under my lowest weight since I quit. I'm giving up wine and carbs(boo-hoo) in order to lose more weight since I'm running on a regular basis. PATIENCE is my new motto. HONESTY with my self is a must. I would complain that I worked out every day to others and didn't lose weight but what Iwouldn't admit to myself is that the two glasses of wine with dinnereveynight would matter and it does. FOCUS on new goals. I never set goals and was always too lazy to meet them. I set a goal of running in a 5k at the end of May and it looks like I'm going to achieve it! REALITY - smoking made me lazy therefore, get out and do something which will help you during your quit immensly! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/16/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,729 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $430 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 16 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Iwas determined not to lose weight as well when I stopped smoking. I read somewhere that stopping smoking was the equivelent of 300 extra calories a day. I worked out that if I cut out cheese and chocolate, that should be my 300 calories. It seemed to work. I have actually dropped about 9 pounds since I stopped. But I still miss cheese and chocolate! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 156 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,820 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $780 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 97 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ah, Changing, or young Skywalker, I think you're already a wise-guy ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 390 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $115.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39

Reading this thread: