Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Anybody who has lost/is losing - can you help?

17 years ago 0 135 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Serenity, this is a rather long post but I just wanted to let you know how I have been doing it.. From July 2006 till present I have lost 25-30lbs.. I don't know the exact amount because I didnt weight myself for the first 3 weeks.. I've been counting calories, you are probably familiar with it since there is a long post here about it.. It really DOES work but it's not easy.. Just like quitting smoking you have to have to be in the right state of mind.. I went to the gym, did weights and cardio 3-5 days a week.. I cut out processed foods almost completely, ate ALOT of food, smaller servings but ate around 4 servings plus snacks.. One of the tricks is NOT to let yourself get hungry. If you do there is probably a chance that to food choice you will make at that time isn't going to be a great one..I keep cut up veggies in the fridge so all I have to do is grab and eat them, you don't have to wash, peel and ect, it made it alot easier to eat then just grabbing a cookie r 2 from the cupboard. Carry a healthy snack in your purse with you at all times.. I always have a slimfast, all bran or special K bar in my purse.. I also keep a box of one of them in my car just incase.. The point of this being that supposedly the more often you eat the faster your body will let go of the excess fat b/c it will get used to having food all the time.. Im not sure how much truth there is to that but it seems logical to me.. Now this is what my daily menu looks like.. Breakfast: 1/2 cup of Special K, 1/2 cup of Fibre 1 w/ skim or 1% milk.. For the days when I am running late I will eat a slimfast meal replacement bar or shake.. I dont like to do that, however, it is better then being hungry and taking a chance that when you eat your are going to make a bad food choice.. ~Snack: carrots, a fruit, 1 piece of bread w/ peanut butter ~Lunch: tuna sandwhich/low fat turkey sand. (w/ cheese and/or mayo every second day) Snack: Low fat yogurt or all bran/special k bar Dinnner: Chicken breast w/ Salad or grilled veggie kebobs and steam veggies 1/4 cup of rice and a glass of milk If I have left over calories to eat after dinner I choose my snack depending on my calorie allowance.. I hope this helps you out.. If you are on CC, add me to your friends list, my name is the same over
17 years ago 0 51 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I don't know what kind of shape you are in or how your diet is right now, however, a daily walk would be great. Just make sure that you're getting your heart rate up some while walking. You should still be able to talk, however singing should be somewhat hard. Also, Rusty is right about the weight lifting. I started losing weight while only doing aerobic exercise and counting calories, but by adding some weight lifting I started toning up and my clothes fit even better! Good luck! Joyce [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/23/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 56 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Serenity - I'm a "slow" loser but the first 5 lbs came off pretty quickly. The first 5 came by increasing exercise (so doing more than you already do) and cutting back on how much I ate. The next 5 is a little harder so now I am again increasing exercise and trying to focus on healthy eating habits. Weighing in tomorrow and hoping I have lost at least another pound. I seem to be averaging a pound a week since the first 5 lbs but I've noticed others who are losing more. They might have even better ideas. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 138 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,768 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $690 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
Sounds like you are off to a good start serenity - If I was honest, I would have to say that I usually cheated once a week and blew my calorie counting all to heck (usually when someone else was doing the cooking). I am planning on a great BIG cheat this weekend because I am going away with my sisters, sister-in-law and Mom and we are going to have a great night out with the girl's! (plus I don't have to go down the elevator every half hour for a smoke - woooweee!) I have to exercise ALOT because I haven't got the diet part down pat yet. My advice - Eat all that chocolate during PMS time and then burn it off at the gym. (All that exercise AND chocolate can't help but make you feel good!) Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 140 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,817 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $700 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
Hi Serenity - I gained 10 lbs (5 was over 2 months and the other 5 was in one week)...I was exercising while I was gaining weight (3 - 4 times a week 20 mins to an hour) but I was eating constantly (including extra helpings of mashed potatoes and gravy, nutty buddies, sour candies by the handful, etc.) The first 5 lbs I kept the exercise the same but cut back on the serving size and changing to sugar-free candy) The next 5 lbs I started counting calories (using an internet site) 1150 - 1550 per day and exercising about 5 - 6 times a week 30 mins to 90 mins. (I've been pretty consistent with the exercise but not so consistent with the calories.....oops!) I do weights at least 3 times per week too and drink lots of water. Boy - that seems like alot of work to get back to where I started???? But....it is becoming a habit now (Hmmm....a healthy habit..now that's something new???) Good luck to you on your weight loss! If I see you on IM, I'll give you the name of the site...it's pretty good. Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 139 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,792 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $695 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 1006 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Serenity2, I reckon a brisk walk every day would definitely help. Walking is a really good exercise, you get the fresh air and some lovely exercise! Go for it!! Deli [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 179 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,689 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �537 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 2 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
17 years ago 0 243 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm just gearing up to start tackling my 8 pound gain. So I just wanted to know what exercise others have used to see a difference. I mean, I want to figure if a half hour walk daily would make a difference or if I have to be doing more serious gym type stuff! LOL - I don;t want to give myself unrealistic expectations then get down because it doesn't work! Thanks guys, S x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,689 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �288 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
Thanks for the tips guys. I have signed in to the other thread, started my day with some porridge, stayed (mostly) healthy all the way through and did an hour in the gym. Fingers crossed. My problem will come when the PMS kicks in and I crave the chocolate. Anyway, the plan is to ramp up my exercise and see how it goes. Felt quite good today. S x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 50 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,778 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �300 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
Thanks guys. Windy - how much did you gain and what "extra" did you need to do to lose the slow 5 punds? lol Thanks, S [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/10/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,724 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �294 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
17 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Serenity2, You've received some great advice from your fellow quitters. Walking is a great start! If you need more tips, be sure to read through a few of the threads in this section. Many quitters have found many different methods to battle the gain. Pick something that is easy for you to incorporate into your life. Personally, I was never big on going to the gym so I joined a dance class instead and took up rollerblading. Both are great cardio workout! Danielle _________________________ The SSC Support Team

Reading this thread: