Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Anyone still feeling bloated after 1 month?

18 years ago 0 1521 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elle, Many members will admit these same types of fullness/bloating after having quit smoking. Your best bet is to visit your family doctor he/she is able to give you the best advice. Take Care, Melanie ______________________ The SSC Support Team
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Elle - I'm right there w/you. My tummy feels so bloated most of the time, and when I eat most of the time, I feel really bloated. And yep, my jeans are very tight around the middle. I ride a motorcycle to clear my head and of course, have to wear jeans to ride. And my jeans are uncomfortable enough now that I am resistant to even put them on to ride! (really gotta do something about that as riding is a must for me):) I am walking at least every other day, which is helping a great deal, and I am also watching what I eat. I read a post somewhere here that talked about the body sort of blowing up when we stop smoking. It made alot of sense and sounded alot like what's going on with me. You may want to do a search under 'bloating' etc... I have learned in my Quit process to go and do my walking BEFORE eating, as I am also lazy after I eat... So that may help you too. Since our Quit times are so close together, maybe someone with more time in their Quit can answer with more detail... Long and short of it, for me, is that I know I've gained weight, and I am being gentle w/myself and I know I can get the weight off, I've done that before. Just taking it one step at a time. We are going through one hell of a process w/our Quit - so weight gain, for me, is a part of the journey. Another challenge, just what we need, right? :) I did have a challenge when at first I realized what was happening, so I came here and asked for support. In the long run, if we can Quit and stick to our Quit, we can definitely lose the weight. It will take time and focus, so how wonderful the practice that keeps us Quit! :) Hope this helps. Blessings- Healer ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 28 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 986 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $67.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
18 years ago 0 34 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey guys, I've been very depressed because my jeans and pants are getting very tight around the waste area. I am fine every where else. At first I thought I was gaining weight because I have been eating a lot more. Btw, I am constantly hungry and always want to eat. But I realized I have this full feeling in my stomach 24 7. My pants are so uncomfortable and am not sure why I feel this way. Can I take some medicine to stop the bloating? My stomach feels full but I am always hungry. This is so frustrating. I have been trying to exercise but every time I come close to exercising, I start to get hungry and then after I eat I feel lazy and don't want to work out anymore. I keep telling myself at the rate I'm going, I'm gonna gain weight. Need to start dealing with this issue as soon as possible. But back to the real issue here. 1. Who else experiences this "full" feeling? 2. How long should I expect it to last? 3. What can I do to alleviate this? I've read some old posts about this but it doesn't seem like a lot of people have this problem. I really don't think it's weight gain right now but I could be wrong. Everywhere else seems to be fine except my stomach. Thanks. Elle [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 33 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 330 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
18 years ago 0 128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Elle, I started experiencing the bloat belly right off in my quit. After asking and asking and research on top of research this is the best I came up with. We put the nicotine toxins in our systems for years now that we are quit our bodies have to detox and that doesn't happen over night. I have read that smokers get belly bloat. I also read that smokers have more belly fat then non smokers. WATER WATER WATER, this does help clean out the system and get you regulated again. It wasn't until I finally broke down and did this that I started to notice a change. Food will be something that you will now have to take control of. Your body is going through a lot right now. MAJOR STUFF GOING ON IN THERE along with the mental you are still going through. Give yourself some time. It's great you want to do something now before it gets really out of control. That was me also. So I started walking. The first 3 days was really forcing myself to get up and do it. Then it became a passion. I felt so much better. And I found out just how deeply I can breath now. I would drink 16oz of water before I'd go, and have another bottle with me while walking, and when I got back home another 8 or 16 oz's of water. Because i did also have water retention badly. It wasn't till I started drinking all the water that that went away. Weird but true. Buy fruits and veg to snack on. When your hungry eat them till you get full, then eat some more. These snacks are good for you and won't pack on the pounds. Your constant hungry feeling is your body really telling you it needs water not food. I can't stress enough that water is the number 1 thing that will help with the bloating and hunger feeling. I still experience bloating of the belly but I've noticed its due to the foods I am eating before the bloat. Water is the answer, plus the foods I choose to eat. Salads, and stir fry veg with chicken, and eating raw veg has been a big help for me to get that belly bloat down. Not all the way yet but it's getting there. I have put on 10 pounds since my quit. I do believe it would be much higher at this time if I hadn't taken control and started doing what I was hearing worked. WATER, FRUITS, VEGTABLES'S *EXERCISE* GOOD LUCK, I hope this helps you
18 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi All, Google �help for bloating� and you�ll find a plethora of information. Healthnut friend of mine says to drink LOTS of water, eat more fiber and walk everyday. Might want to talk to a doc if it continues. Not cravin', never cavin'. Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 332 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,293 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2158 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 43 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
  • Quit Meter

$472,326.40

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5382 Hours: 16

Minutes: 7 Seconds: 39

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 2462 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with hummybird...drink lots and lots of water, make sure you're getting fiber (oatmeal or high fiber cereal is a great way), and watch your salt intake as well. Rusty :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/13/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 475 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 13,322 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1662.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 65 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
  • Quit Meter

$54,828.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 647 Hours: 11

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: