Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Treadmills, Are They Good Or Evil?

18 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
redrosie - you sound just like me! I have been trying to convince my husband to buy a treadmill or something! He says it will become a cloths hanger and I say No, really I'll use it! I also have video's an exercise ball, free weights. (all bought over the last 10 years) because I wouldn't let myself buy the big ticket item. Guess what - I say go for it! Think about all the money you'll save not smokin! What a beautiful gift to yourself! Let me know what you decide! P.S. Just came back from a nice walk. Today was a mild day! I think about al the people out there that have huge amounts of snow and can't get out! charlie girl [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 43 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 262 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $86 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
18 years ago 0 32 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, Well, did she or didn't she? redrosie, did you buy the treadmill? charlie girl
18 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Redrosie. Sorry I haven't been keeping up on the posts so its too late to give u pointers on buying a treadmill. I can tell u about my treadmill experience though. I purchased one for xmas but didn't begin to use it til I quit smoking. The kids were on it alot at first but have since lost interest. Where u place your treadmill is important. I have a large bedroom so I put it in there. In front of my tv of course. Now I can lock my door and not be disturbed. I started out small too (5 min) at a time morning and evening. In 3 weeks,I was up to 20 min and can now handle 45.I speed walk as opposed to running though (easier on the knees) You should work up a good sweat. I always watch a show (Y n R) is a regular. It helps to pass the time and makes the workout less of an effort. Good luck and keep us posted as to your progress. :)
18 years ago 0 610 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
redrosie you have inspired me, only I wanted a work out buddy the only one I can count on everyday is my beagle he is over weight too. I don't know what he is going to do when the weather is bad and I go to the mall HUMMM :| my next challange is to get my cat do do ab crunches she has a tummy issue oh so do I. I happen to love to boobs wish I could lose the weigh and keep the boobs. Most of all I love being smoke free and soon I will be lookin good too. Just wanted to say thanks and share a little while I was at it Polly [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/2/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,421 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $192.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
18 years ago 0 228 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh Red, how you make me smile when i need it. I too have been in awe of how much weight I have gained since quiting. Everyone thinks that I am nuts and need to talk to someone. My sister thinks that I look great and healthy (of course she is a size 4, and I just want to smak her), but I have noticed that my jeans are tighter and my BF is now calling me "Big Boobs McGee" (nice huh, LOL) so I have been talking to people about different machines and stuff. I have the pilates tapes. They are great and really do work if you use them. The problem is using them. I get home from work and I look at the tapes then I look at my couch and my couch wins.. Anyhoo I am rambling (have you noticed that this happens more now that we don't smoke) so people have mentioned to me about getting a stepper of some kind. and was wondering if you looked at any of those before you bought your treadmill? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,606 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $344.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey oinkoink, I want to pick your physically fit brain for a bit. By your example are you saying I should be at a 100 -120 pulse rate when I excercise? I am 42 going on 29(ha ha). My treadmill has an ear clip to measure my pulse rate. Also, I find my calfs are what is causing me to only do 5 min. at a time. They feel so tight and sore, I have to stop. Is there any stretching excercise that would help? Thanks oinkoink, your cheque for services rendered is in the mail. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/Sports_sport04.gif[/IMG] This is me but with a grimace on my face, and more hair. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,267 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $431.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
The answer is yes Charlie Girl I did. Last night. I have to say it really made me realize just how out of shape I am. I was on it today 3 times so far. I just did 5 min. at a time. I figured I will start off slow so I don't discourage myself too much. Like with everything, I'm hoping it will get easier with practice. My advice is to get one that you can adjust the incline on. I can't on mine, so it is at quite a steep angle to start on. At least that is what I am telling myself. lol. Oh, well I will just keep in mind that I am probably doing loads better on it than I would be if I was still smoking. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/Sports_sport04.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 52 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,264 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $431.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
Wow Sunshine 5 miles a day is stupendous! That's quite a goal to aim for. How long did it take you to get to that number? Please tell me it took months and months! [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/please.gif[/IMG] lol. Don't worry, I won't get discouraged by anything anyone tells me about how well they do on the tread mill. I have my kids to do that for me.lol. The 3 little darlins have been on and off that thing like little jack rabbits. " Look Mom, I just did 20 min. and burned 85 calories!" " Wow, this is fun!" [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/doh.gif[/IMG] Kids say the darndest things don't they? [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/Sports_sport04.gif[/IMG] This is me but with sweat poring down my face, and 3 kids laughing! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,280 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $439.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
Thanks oinkoink for the info. Here's 40 lashes .... you ol' rule breaker you! [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/spank.gif[/IMG] And thanks everyone else for your opinions and comments. You guys are the cats' meow! [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $439.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
Thanks for the placement tip Cincere. I plunked it down in front of the T.V. downstairs in my rec. room. I hope I can get up to 20 min in 3 weeks. Jess, I'm with ya on the weight thing. My boobage has increased quite a bit too. Too bad that wasn't the only place. I went out for groceries today and bought lots of healthy foods and low fat condiments. I had a healthy lunch of turkey sandwich and strawberries. How many calories are there in a pint of strawberries anyway. lol. Well, almost a pint. Also am drinking massive amounts of water. YUM YUM . Ciao, Chickies. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/Sports_sport04.gif[/IMG] This is me, but with more boobage. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 53 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,286 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $439.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11

Reading this thread: