Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

Empty again.

10 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather, This makes sober reading. When I read your message of June 13th I felt it had great impact on me. I have thought about it daily, usually when I get my daily little craving thought. Firstly I feel pleased I am no longer caught up in the whole addiction treadmill. Secondly a little apprehensive in knowing that I too could be a prime subject for some life threatening disease. Sparky, I do get where you are coming from, one would think it was a no brainer but addiction is such a powerful thing! I too am working to complete one day at a time. I believe I am moving on by recognising all the situations that prompt me to think of wanting to smoke. Then trying to deal with situations without the aid of a cigarette. I now see this quit is about me learning to deal with life's problems, frustrations or whatever, without smoking and further damaging my health. It's getting easier by the day. This does not mean I don't have those thoughts about what if some decease is already in progress. We could die from a road accident. But after all we've been through in life we owe it to ourselves to take control and be healthier for the time we have left? I reckon we are doing pretty well right now we just have to keep it going! Thanks for your thoughts on this subject as it lets us know we're not alone. Have a good day N.O.P.E. VIV Xx
  • Quit Meter

$28,393.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 515 Hours: 0

Minutes: 19 Seconds: 48

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Sparky and Samantha. It seems to me that you're doing great this time Sparky. It wasn't until I stopped working and put that stress behind me that I was able to stop smoking for any length of time. None of us know how much time we have left on this planet but by not smoking our quality of life is greatly improved. I guess the lesson to be learned here is to make every day count. Excellent for you Sparky. breather
10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather, I just read this.  I am so sorry to hear about your neighbor.  Maybe you don't remember one of my struggles to stay quit.  I had two sisters and both died from lung cancer.  One had quit for 13 years and still got lung cancer and the other didn't quit until she was diagnosed..  One was 63 and the other 64.  So my stinking thinking was one quit for 13 years and smoking still killed her and the other continued and it killed her.  So what difference does it make?  Then my brother had heart disease and bladder cancer all caused by life style and yes he was a heavy smoker and I do believe that was a huge factor in his health.  Why has it been so hard for me?  You would think with three siblings it would be a no brainier,yet I struggled and fought and yet kept returning to smoking.  I have walked though some really difficult life situations and stayed sober, but I never could stay quit smoking.

This quit has been different and I pray to God it is my final quit.  The stress that has been in  my life is gone and I am learning to live a different life now.  I still have not found a good reason to smoke, but that doesn't mean that there are times I would give anything for a smoke and we know where that would lead.  So I continue one day at a time and try not to get to  Hungry, Angry, Lonely or to Tired 

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
10 years ago 0 2606 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi breather, 

It is terrible to hear about your neighbour's condition. We can only hope that hearing this will inspire others to stop smoking or stay smoke-free if they already have quit. 

Samantha, Health Educator
Cancer is just a word until it hits close to home. My neighbour is just diagnosed with throat , lung and who knows wherever else that it's spread to. She's just gone through losing her husband five years ago to guess what ? That's right , the "C" word. This is the horror I'm talking about. And yes they both smoked. The inconvenience of stopping smoking now pales in comparison to the pain and suffering that that poor woman is about to endure. If you haven't already stopped smoking stop now before it's too late. Excellent for you for not smoking today or any other day. breather
When I think about withdrawal symptoms one word comes to mind and that is empty. It's a hard road for those of us battling our addictions whether it be smoking , drinking or whatevering. By continuing to be active in our addiction we're ensuring that we stay in a constant state of emptiness. As humans we were born with all the tools that we need without the need for any mood or mind altering substance. Stopping smoking is one of the hardest things to do but one of the most fulfilling things that we'll ever do. Any rational person would wonder why anyone would keep doing this to themselves. By continuing to smoke the emptiness continues but once the cycle is broken we begin to feel good about our new found freedom the way that we were meant to feel. Get mad at your addiction and do whatever is necessary to rid yourself of this horror of an addiction. Don't be empty. Excellent for you for not smoking today. breather

Reading this thread: