Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

I can?t tell what?s real negative emotion and what?s withdrawal

11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hang in there Workin'!!!

You will probably be a bundle of emotions for a while longer, but that is OK!  Try to keep things in perspective as best as you can and remind your man that you are going through your final quit and that you will require a LOT of positive reinforcement, understanding and support for the next couple of weeks.  And for you, try to keep a Positive Mental Attitude while you are going through this!  Use a lot of positive self talk and utilize what you have learned through the Program about coping strategies, etc.  Last but not least, like Breather said, be real nice to yourself, treat yourself as well as you can  and plenty of rewards, too!  

You  can  do  this!!!  

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 9

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tell myself everyday I do not smoke is a miracle. I also can find a hundred excuses to smoke... Just no good reason. We don't want to say it but we are addicts; addicted to nicotine. Addicts have the only disease that tells them they do not have it, it talks to us. I am very edgy when all of my family comes home on the weekends; normally during the week I am home alone. Yet, I have told them as well as myself, that it is going to take some time for me to get through this. My body, my brain all of me is going through major withdraw, chemical changes, all kinds of things. I am trying to learn new behaviors physically and emotionally while not smoking. The biggest thing to tell your significant other that this is about you not him.. that you may need some time and space to get through the rough part of quitting, or that you may be a little nuts..LOL for a bit. It is all normal.. as far as whether its real.. it is but it may not be HIS fault as much as it is withdraw. Keep up the great work, and breathe, take a bath, go for a walk, journal, whatever it takes to not smoke. You can do this!!
11 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello Working On It  At this point in your quit you need all the help you can get. At 5 days without a cigarette I was full blown crazy ! Keep in mind that if there's a problem it's probably on you ( not anyone else ) because they aren't quitting smoking You are. We could add irrational to the H.A.L.T. list of things to try not to get too much of. Be especially kind to yourself at this stage and try not to let the small things get too big. If it gets to be too much take a walk , deep breathe or have a glass of ice water. Do whatever it takes to get past the feelings. We've all said and done things when we were quitting that we wish we hadn't have said or done. On another note you're doing awesome. Five days without a cigarette is amazing. In the early stages avoiding conflict is a must because once we light the fuse the dynamite is going to go off. Any good addict will tell us that if we pick a fight we'll get to go out for the night or have an excuse to start back up again. Yay for you for not smoking. breather
11 years ago 0 1853 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Working On It,

It is common to experience different and stronger emotions during the withdrawal period.  Feeling frustrated, angry and irritated more than usual is something I've read other members experience in the early stages of their quit. 
Have you noticed if you feel this way with any other people in your life?  Have you been more irritated or frustrated with any other family members/friends or just within this new relationship?  

11 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I may be about to blow a relationship that is in its early stages.  I'm finding myself becoming very irritated with this guy. A couple of times this week, I was downright angry and wanting to go after him like a bulldog. I'm not sure what is coming from decreasing nicotine levels and what's genuine irritation right now. I have obviously been very worked up. At the same time, I have a sense that I am being irrational. I'm wondering if my mind is twisting some of the things he says or if this is stuff that would normally irritate me and it's just magnified right now. 

Has anyone else ever struggled with this during a quit? 
  • Quit Meter

$22,541.55

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 13

Minutes: 23 Seconds: 33

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: