Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Different Doors, Same House

12 years ago 0 880 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Breather:

So good to see you as well...I do find it a bit odd, but in some way I have found friends here...As virtual as they may be...But there is nothing virtual about the help that you have provided for many here.  I don't write often anymore, but I do read, and I find your comments to be always straight-forward yet full of the compassion that only comes from one who knows how painful this experience can be..

stay well

nonic. 
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1373 Hours: 10

Minutes: 14 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 816 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
nonic Thank you for another thoughtful post. breather
Kelly:

So good to see you here...I have not been around for quite some time, but it is good to find old friends here.  Oh yes, I do tend toward the "thinking it out prior to jumping off the bungy bridge route".  Sometimes I never do make the plunge.  But in this case I am glad I did.  Pen is right, smoking really is just plain foolish.  But because of the way that the addiction works, we can become frozen in a state of inaction. 

I am so glad that you have done well, I know there where times that you wanted to give up.  But you did not and you should always be very proud of that. 

stay well

nonic 
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nonic,

Again, so deep and so totally true.  What would we do without your words of wisdom.  I like Pens idea too, wish that could have worked for me...but I think you and I are more alike.

Love reading your posts..so say what I cannot think of...or something like that.

Kelly
Pen

Yep your right...Some of my friends do say that I think to much for my own good...But I always remember the maxim about an" unexamined life" and such and then I just go and think about that for awhile...Now I do like your way as well...Total spontaneity is good too...Perhaps I will work on that...For that matter what ever works is good when it comes to smoking...I do like that you have been "didn'ting" ever since and that you have hung around to other folks down the road...

Keep on didn'ting 

nonic 
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi nonic, great post.
I was far less analytical than you. I went through a different door to you. I went through the one that says"This is stupid. If you don't want to smoke don't light up" .So I didn't and I have been didn'ting every day for the last 7 years! Kinda worked!  

• Quit Meter

$56,793.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 22

Minutes: 38 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Josie:

Thank you for the kind words.  This addiction is such a complex thing that it is no wonder we have trouble knocking it down.  It wasn't until I understood the mechanics of it that I began to have a clue about how to go about dealing with it.  I am glad this site has been here all along, without it I certainly would not have been able to get this far...

stay well

nonic
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

12 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
NONIC,

Such amazing words of wisdom and insight!  Thank so much for sharing with us!

Josie, Health Educator
Greetings Fellow Travelers

We all come to this addiction through different doors but we are all residents of the same house.  All quits take on a different tone but there is a central melody that is shared by all. Fear is certainly a common element of the entire process.

I am guessing here,  but from what I read, it seems as if many are anticipating the withdrawal demons to come before they have appeared.  That will make your journey toward cessation more difficult.  It is of no use to picture ourselves in the future reeling from the loss of our cigarettes.  Those kind of images only enhance our fear and cause us to accept defeat before we have found our way through the maze. 

I would advise everyone contemplating cessation to take a deep breath, speak kindly to yourself and anticipate nothing.  This journey will not be about your family, it will not be about what others think of you, it will not even be about fear.  It will be about you.  It will be about you taking your life in hand and making it better.  It will be about  realizing that you have the power to change for the better.

Smoking is about more than the physical act of inhaling rolled up weeds.  It is not a passive activity.  It is not about loss.  On the contrary it is about gain.  At this moment you are thinking, without my cigarettes I can;t do this or that or the other thing.  In short you believe that you cannot "get through" without cigarettes.  But I tell you now, if you challenge yourself in a positive way, one day you will wonder why you "needed" cigarettes at all. 

Take a deep breath on this one, stop looking down the road and look down at the road that is under your feet at this moment.  The road on which you now stand is the one that will take you to freedom.  The other road that your mind's eye imagines is nothing more than a projection of your fears.  You can do this, but you must begin with a single step on the here and now road.

We all grow into cessation, no one leaps there.  For me it was a slow steady learning process that made me look more closely at myself.  In my experience, the key to cessation lies within the individual.  Once we begin to comprehend the why of our addiction, the how of our freedom comes into sight...

stay well

nonic       
  • Quit Meter

$66,559.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter