Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 7:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 9:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Cognitive Exposure

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Alex 2 1
lara 1 0

Most Loved

Browse through 411.751 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,573 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RREYES, TBACARO, RMUEGA, LARISTOTELES, DeeTart

I remember these side effects - gas & sleeping

14 years ago 0 567 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi there & Welcome back Serendipity...

The gas problem was a bit of an issue for me for quite some time...I would say it probably lasted for about 6 months. But, I seem to be on the upper end of the timeframes. I can tell you I exercised frequently during that timeframe--but maybe it would have been worse if I didn't exercise. Just stay close to windows and a dog you can blame it on..

Just stay the course--know that the body does adjust to a new baseline. It is so worth the freedom. This is do-able--please hear that. I was a hard-core smoker. Quitting was the BEST thing I ever did for myself. Just don't smoke 1 day, 1 hour or 1 minute at a time. That's how you do it:)

Rooting for you,
Deb

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/1/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 598
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 23,920
Amount Saved: $5,382.00
Life Gained:
Days: 70 Hrs: 5 Mins: 18 Seconds: 46

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Serendipity, I planning to attend meetings beginning Thursday.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 165
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,620
Amount Saved: $1,790.25
Life Gained:
Days: 18 Hrs: 0 Mins: 1 Seconds: 48

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh yes, I stunk for many years. I love my new smell!!
Now my perfume smells great!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 262
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,930
Amount Saved: $393.00
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 20 Mins: 33 Seconds: 57

14 years ago 0 108 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I tried to quote on Rock - but some reason there was an error...

Here is what caught my eye on his post:

I never realized how bad I smelled until I quit smoking.  I saw a smoking friend last night and I couldn't get over how bad she smelled of smoke!  I want the world to smell the fabric softener on my clothes, not cigarette smoke!

Here was my reply:

♥OMG - I so agree with you Rock!!  My Mom smokes and when I went to see her the other day and walked up and gave her a hug...and WOW...I went home and apologized to my never-smoked husband for all of the years I smelled like that!  You never realize it until you quit!♥

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 9/25/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 17
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 425
Amount Saved: $106.25
Life Gained:
Days: 1 Hrs: 11 Mins: 24 Seconds: 8

• Quit Meter

$454,240.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5355 Hours: 4

Minutes: 51 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi serendipity, I've had problems in the past with gas while quitting.

As for being embarrassed because of the COPD diagnosis, no one says they want to be an addict and die a smoking-related death. Granted we choose our behavior, but not the outcome.. No one would choose emphysema or liver cirrhosis or AIDS... And many smokers, about 75% don't end up with lung cancer or COPD. There is something about the biology of those who do.

But I don't want to glorify smoking, either. I want people who have never smoked, and are vulnerable to it, to know that smoking is like playing a game of Russian Roulette. We don't know what secrets are genes hold. My father, the second youngest of his brothers and sisters, died of lung cancer. His older sister quit smoking 5 years ago. No lung cancer, and she is in her mid-seventies. All of his brothers and sisters smoked. All have lived longer and smoked longer. All went through a long period where they smoked filter-less cigarettes. Go figure.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 163
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 4,564
Amount Saved: $1,768.55
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 20 Mins: 28 Seconds: 10

14 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi!
I also experienced gas and bloatiness. I avoided  foods that could make this worse like cabbage,broccoli anytipe of beans and I tried to drink more water.
I don't know if this was helpful but everything dissappeared after three weeks

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 261
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,915
Amount Saved: $391.50
Life Gained:
Days: 29 Hrs: 16 Mins: 53 Seconds: 30

14 years ago 0 1080 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Seeking that great sense of humour will see you through this 'scented' phase I am sure! Take our Rock's advice and blame who ever's nearest- and Christina is also right, these early unpleasant side effects will soon subside it really is the body getting rid of all the....well fill in your own words there! And post away, if it gets you through the day, then thats what we want for you- virtual cyber hugs to you (((((()))))))
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/10/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 519
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,975
Amount Saved: $7,785.00
Life Gained:
Days: 61 Hrs: 5 Mins: 55 Seconds: 25

14 years ago 0 251 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, you know Rock is right. Nothing beats the smoke scent - don't miss it at all. Now I can say I smell the smoke on others as well as in my house - mind you we never smoked inside - just in the garage. Still, my new sense of smell is really picking up on that scent. So I guess it is Fabreze time and a big clean up... Not helping that my husband still smokes. But oh well, it is at least for my sanity.
I have a different problem than gas - the bowel movement is not even close to normal. But I read and read about it, so I know that too shall pass. So, don't worry, the gas will go away too, eventually. If you are like me and chew gum 30 seconds after you wake up, it seems that is part of what causes the gas. The sweetener in the chewing gum to be more precise.
Good luck and stay smoke free.
Cristina

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/5/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 6
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 210
Amount Saved: $27.30
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 14 Mins: 14 Seconds: 16

14 years ago 0 11216 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Seeking,

This is a sensitive and sometimes embarrassing subject for many. Please know that you are not alone in experiencing this withdrawal symptom and there is much you can do about it.

Smoking increases gastro intestinal motility(how your intestines move)when you quit, you intestines slow down. Your food spends more time travelling through your gut and naturally produces more gas.

Try cutting out foods that naturally aid in gas production, carbonated drinks and chewing gum. More air swallowed, more gas you'll have. Lastly, regular physical activity has also been helpful as it encourages your gut to start moving.

Hope this helps and please feel free to share what tricks have worked for you!

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
SS, blame it on the dog or another mom if it happens!  Serve baked beans to everybody!   And in the big picture, 5 seconds of gas isn't as bad as a day of stinky cigarette smoke.  I never realized how bad I smelled until I quit smoking.  I saw a smoking friend last night and I couldn't get over how bad she smelled of smoke!  I want the world to smell the fabric softener on my clothes, not cigarette smoke!
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 417
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 16,680
Amount Saved: $4,170.00
Life Gained:
Days: 62 Hrs: 5 Mins: 10 Seconds: 44

Reading this thread: