Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Things to do when you're having a tough day

10 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
The Martha Stewart comment made me laugh!! Thanks for that!!
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Sugar86!!!

Welcome to the SSC and congratulations on your 39 smoke free days!!!  Way to go!  You are doing great so far!  If you haven't done so, be sure to reward yourself for your accomplishments!  

I always like to recommend that quitters new to the SSC read through the Program (drop down box above titled MY PROGRAM) and also use the Tools!  There is a wealth of information there, as well as here on the Forums that may help you understand some of the feelings you are experiencing.  Remember, many of your new quit buddies here have gone through many of the experiences you are going through or will go through.  Ask if you have questions!  You will get answers! 

As far as the 72 hours go, that is normally how long it takes for all of the nicotine to leave your system.  After that, it is the mental aspect of the addiction you are battling!  We call it the nico-demon.  With every battle you do with the demon, you will get stronger and stronger!  Vow to yourself to never lose a battle in your war!  You CAN do this!

Now, as far as feeling like your childhood ADD is back, maybe it is!  Nicotine is a very powerful and addictive drug and when under the influence of it, it mask some of the other issues we experienced in a cloud of smoke!  Many of our members needed to speak with their health care professionals to decide if additional counseling or medication was required to bring their minds and body back into balance.  You might want to consider talking to your doctor about this. 

One last thing.  While on this journey, many find that they need all the support and advice that they can find!  I was definitely one of those!  Sometimes it takes more than your immediate village to get through this!  Personally, I spent a LOT of time here reading, learning and distracting myself from smoking!  We are dealing with a serious addiction, so do what you think is best for you!

Hang in there, buddy!  Positive Mental Attitude and plow through this one day at a time!  We're all rooting for you! 

Jim

PS...  Did I mention rewards???  I'm still rewarding myself daily for making it through another smoke free day!!! 
  • Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 1140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sugar86,

Yes, there still is some mental/ emotional work that has to take place after the first 72 hours. Although you are not still physically craving (thank goodness, since that was awful), it's easy to get ino those old yearnings for a smoke. For me, those yearnings tended to be associated with either 1) old habits (like I used to smoke at ---- time each day), 2) stressful situations or 3) boredom.

I have found that going through an old routine without the cigarette a few times does a lot to decrease that association. As far as stress is concerned, I've had to replace my smoking behavior with deep breathing (deep breathing with a strong mint in my mouth is very satisfying), exercise, taking a short walk, etc. . I deal with the boredom by playing on my smart phone or doing something else to occupy my hands. So I am building new habits to replace the old one.
  • Quit Meter

$22,546.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 602 Hours: 17

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is my first time posting, but I have now decided to join a forum and wanted to express how I feel as well. I am on Day 39!! Wow, it feels good to say that and strange at the same time. It is so bizarre, which is really the best word I can use to discribe withdrawal symptoms. One minute I am happy, next minute I feel a craving and am in my own world. The ideas I have had since I quit are definitely off the charts..weird. I must say though, everyday gets better! My husband, parents, sisters, and friends have been a such support!! Although, I have noticed that when others have talked about their own problems, I start to get anxious, like I am not ready to take on hearing other's problems yet. Does anyone else feel like that as well?? I really enjoy reading the stop smoking forums, my husband thinks it is a bad idea because I keep focusing on the fact of smoking, but somehow brings strong relief to me. Now that I have quit smoking, I truly feel like my childhood ADD is back in full effect, if I stay busy I do pretty good, but sometimes I feel like I can snap myself out of it! I am so ready for the cravings and symptoms to be gone completely! Whoever said it takes 72 hours must have never smoked a day in their lives!!
10 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice one, Sparky!!!

Thanks for bumping this thread forward!  I'm sure that it will be helpful to many of our new quit buddies! 

Jim
  • Quit Meter

$44,272.50

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 15

Minutes: 45 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Enjoyed reading this. Funny how sometimes we need permission to stop and rest and guilt is such a useless emotion. I will be doing more relaxing and deep breathing . today. Out in the garden and walking alongside the lake. Viv
  • Quit Meter

$28,428.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 515 Hours: 15

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 30

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

10 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the Bump Sparky..
I have been here off and on for a few years and never saw this.
It is appreciated..

Oh by the way be sure to post when you get on the cruise ship..
I want to make sure I am here to celebrate this special day with you..
I bet you'll be having a great time relaxing and playing on that cruise too!!

Red..

10 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
bump
I finally found something Rusty posted.  She always had wonderful tips.  Many I have printed off or saved them.  Hope this helps you.

Keep the Quit
Sparky 
15 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
That's hilarious, Patrick!

Paula, you have to make time for you. Write it in your calendar if you have to.  I understand that you have to care for your Dad. We all have our jobs and families and school and bills and things pressing on us from all sides. But without rest, we cannot sustain ourselves to do the things we need to do. Even God rested on Sunday! Try a night without cleaning. Set aside a night for you -- to take a bubble bath, to watch a movie, or to do a yoga cd. Just do it. Your body, your mind and your spirit will be so much happier.

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1276
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 65,076
Amount Saved: $14,642.10
Life Gained:
Days: 113 Hrs: 21 Mins: 12 Seconds: 12

Reading this thread: