Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

I'm falling asleep at my desk

16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
For sure Cassy it is normal. At the moment if I listened to myself I would probably be sleeping fourteen to fifteen hours a day. As a matter of fact I often gave up on some previous short quits because I simply couldn't function. I did in fact fall asleep in my office on one occasion. You should however get in as much sleep as you can, it is relaxing, calming, and rejuvenating, it also gives you time out from the cravings. Not bad for something that is quite easy to do. Keep up the good work [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 770 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $286.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$408,942.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8155 Hours: 14

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 20

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 45 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank you so much Mercy. Today is a better day for me propably because I took the money I would have spent on cigarettes and bouth new shoes. I love shoes. So I'm really bouncy. Thank you for all of your support Mercy and every one else who posted. I appreciate it. I think that all of you are the reason why I have not touched a cigarette. It really helps to know that I can always come here and people will be there to listen.
16 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cassy, It's all normal and lasts for awhile. Your body and brain is screaming for something IT DOESN'T NEED.....but has become dependant on. For years you pancreas has secreted abnormal amounts of insulin...your adreanal glands have lived in a "fright and flight" pattern.... your brain has delt with an overload of serotonin and your heart has been beating as if in slow jog all day long. No wonder we are so out of wack when we quit. You feel slower because your body is natrually slowing down. Your poor blood vessels don't even know what to do with oxygen!! It has to learn. Your adrenal glands and brain chemistry will adjust along with your body dealing with the proper amounts of oxygen. In the mean time...... SLEEP AWAY!!! Sleep is healing....calming and a way your body heals. Eat right and give youself the nutriants it needs to fix itself. Isn't it really an exciting journey? I know it was hard for me......but gosh.....it was fun too and very interesting. Your doing sooooooooooo great. I'm proud of you!! Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 367 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,640.49 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 48 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
Thank you so much for your advice. All of you. You've been great. I'm hoping that by next week this sleepy thing will go away. I'm doing a little better today, but I went to bed yesterday at 9:00 pm. Even my 8 and 6 year old were laughing that mommy has an earlier bed time. Oh well whatever it takes to never touch these nasty things again.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cassy, The problems you describe are quite common and can be attributed due to the following... 1) Nicotine is a stimulant 2) Increased levels of oxygen can make you feel tired initially 3) Disturbed sleeping patterns due to patch use 4) Dip in blood sugar 5) Dip in metabolism 6) Your body is healing and does this the most when sleeping. Tips to help? 1) Sleep more than usual. Go to bed early or nap if necessary. 2) Consider an NRT as this can help alleviate the severity of withdrawal symptoms, this is though a personal choice. 3) Fuel your body! Complex carbs such as whole grains and proteins can help boost your metabolism for the day and keep your energy up. 4) Frequent small meals can help stabilize your blood sugar. Again, complex carbs & proteins are the best choice. 5) Vitamins - Smokers are often deficient in vitamin C and B, consult your physician, nutritionist or pharmacist for an assessment. (Hint: Bring a completed 3 day food diary to maximize what you get of their assessment.) 6) In times of drowsiness, liven it up by listening to music, taking a break, taking a walk. 7) Lastly, break up your tasks into smaller pieces, taking mini-breaks in between. Hope this helps. Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cassie, i got a hammer and a shovel for that junkie! -- Are you taking any vitamins? Maybe that would help? Maybe a quick breather in the fresh air (AWAY from the smoking section)?? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/21/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 25 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.88 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
I am 10 days into my quit. The last few days was ok. Today, however, it's hitting me bad. I have never felt so sleepy. Well maybe when my children were first born and I had to feed them every two hours but other than that never.
16 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cassy, How far into your quit are you? Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's normal. And it won't last forever. You may find that you won't be able to sleep at some point. lol You're doing wonderful - hang in there, and reward! (Maybe with a NAP!) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 554 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 41,550 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10,387.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
I slept great last night. I have no idea why I'm so blah today. This is horrible. I seem to completely be loosing my head. I'm havint a difficult time drafting simple letters. Thank goodness I have a sympathetic coworker or I'd be SOL right now.

Reading this thread: