Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Just bad timing?

16 years ago 0 53 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm doing good, thanks. Getting into the car to drive to work is a trigger, as is the drive home but with no smokes on hand it can be handled. At work I don't have any problems and at home it's more of an unconcious reaching for something no longer there, but besides the congestion and waking up an hour earlier every day that I have too, I'm hanging in. Not letting my guard down though! Stay strong everyone. Kathy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
16 years ago 0 277 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kartemy, just wait until your sense of smell starts to improve. I think that happens at around week two or three.....(I have done this before, but don't remember exactly) But, I know that when you start smelling everything it is amazing! Except when you smell bad things....like other smokers. You will be surprised that they smell so bad! How are you doing today? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 36 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $12.24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
Oh, and I have discovered an upside to this congestion - I can't smell smoke on other people and be tempted. Of course, I can't tell how clean my house and car smell either but I'll take whatever benefit I can get! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 60 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $22.80 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
Thanks. If I know there's a reason for it and that there is an end, I can deal with it. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 7 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
16 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kartemy, Sinus congestions is fairly common amongst new quitters. It will go away in the first two weeks. When you quit smoking, your nasal membranes become swollen and your cilia (nose hair) starts to regenerate. Your cilia cleans the air coming in to your body by taking out dirt, dust or other pollutants in the air before they pass through to your lungs. Smokers cilia tend to become inactive because they are constantly bombarded with pollutants. As your body continues to heal itself, this feeling of congestion will go away. If it persists or worsen, we recommend going to see your doctor. Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
Thanks, Kristilu. Everything else I've been able to handle fairly well but this thick head is a pain (literally and figuratively). It doesn't make me want to run out and have a cigarette, though, since I know that cold or withdrawal sympton, it will pass. One added benefit to quitting, along with the obvious health benefits, my house will be cleaner than it has been since it was new. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kathy, I used (and still do) a Vicks Inhaler - in fact, I have one in my hand right now and it says on the side "Fast Relief From Stuffy Noses" - it works for me! More intense would be 2 teaspoons of Vicks Vapour Rub in a basin of very hot water. Towel over your head and just breathe! That works too! Whatever you decide, just make sure that you don't smoke!! Good Luck Penitent d1338 :)
  • Quit Meter

$56,793.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 22

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 14

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 392 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kartemy, That happened to me the first time I quit, I felt worse after I quit smoking than before. But the difference was, this time it went away , where, when i was smoking the cough and cold lingered, and lingered until it became bronchitis, until i thought i was gonna die. It will pass, drink plenty fluids and rest. Except of course when you need to clean to pass a craving ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 50 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $13.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 23 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
Thanks for the input. Any suggestions on what might help clear my head? I've got allergy sinus medication but I'm not sure that's what's called for here. Kathy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/14/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 40 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $15.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yup Kartemy, loads of us! It's just one of the prices that some of us have to pay. You'll get through it and feel even better when you come out the other side still not smoking! Congrats on 2 days, just keep on keeping on! Penitent d1338 :)
  • Quit Meter

$56,793.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 22

Minutes: 46 Seconds: 15

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: