Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

Is it like alcoholism ?

17 years ago 0 533 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jonthedj, I hate that....I am sitting at the puter...then I say to myself Oh time to take a break go have your smoke now....uughh duh...NO lolo You are a NON smoker...I do have to agree...that after eating is really a hard one...Usually I go outside and walk around...Or I stay on the puter......I have realized that I need to do A LOT of self talk...How about you? CHECK OUT OUR STATS! yes! way to go!!!!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 157 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $31.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
17 years ago 0 96 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lolo- im with you, we've both quit about the same time. To everyone else thanks for your kind words. I've temporarily also giveen up alcohol because I know it will make me want to smoke. Im on day 8 now and its getting better. Ive gotten over quite a bit of the conditioning. Still after every meal I still think its time for a smoke for a split second before I realize, DUH you dont smoke. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 156 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $38.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 533 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MAKE IT STOP-- ---OK-----I AM A NON SMOKER...I AM A NON SMOKER....I AM NON SMOKER..... :8o: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/24/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 153 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $31.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow, Freebird! I am glad you posted that! (Impressive stats by the way) It really helps to learn that sometimes, the path to a good healthy life is not so hard as it seems, that others have paved the way with their own sweat and tears. Thanks you for telling us of your experience. It is welcomed and appreciated. What a wonderful inspiration! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,436 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $601.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 15
17 years ago 0 154 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have to agree with Sparky, smoking was tougher to quit than alcohol. Alcohol was having immediate negative affects on my life and when I quit I saw quick results. When I quit smoking, it seemed like it took a good 3-4 months before I started to see the positive aspect of not smoking. It was like walking around in a haze for that period of time, but once it cleared up it became easier. Sept 24, 2005 quit drinking Sept 24, 2006 quit smoking I coincided my dates to make it mean something. I tried quitting smoking a few times after not drinking, but none of the dates seemed to right(junkie thought). So I planned for this date and lo and behold it has worked for me. As far as the urges to drink or smoke, I maybe one of the lucky ones or just stubborn, but my life has turned around 180 degrees and is on the up and up. Repaired my marriage and home life and I flat out refuse to let either one of these habits take it away from me and go back to the hell hole I was in. Hope some of this helps. Good luck with your quit. Freebird ~'~ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/24/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 219 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,579 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $919.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 31 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
17 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes Lainey, you are right about the accessability of cigarettes and, of course, the signs of having consumed too much alcohal are harder to cover up than those of cigarettes. I mean you can keep up a smoking addiction much more easily than you can a drinking one because, after a while, with drink you do start to fall over and the like. Speaking from experience, the two quits are different. Not one easier than the other but just as hard. Today I've been having slight palpitations of panic and know that either a drink or a cigarette would help but then realized it was also because I hadn't been able to access this site for a few days! So I'm in the public library getting my fix and hopefully when I emerge, blinking, into the sunlight I will be a calm and reasonable person with no need for the moment of either crutch. Having said that, I haven't had a drink for 3 years and now don't really consider it any option. Don't yet have the same confidence with nicotine. Gen
17 years ago 0 36 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Jonthedj I agree with you, when I had my old quits, there was the days (2 years down the track) when out of the blue a craving came, but I was able to turn them away. Where I couldn't, was when I was drinking. This is why, I've decided for 6 months, I'm not drinking and then I will think about what I want to do. Goodluck Mitch [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $6.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 16 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
17 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
jonthedj - I'm not a drinker, but I still have days when stressed that a smoke crosses my mind though not often at all, and I just say to myself, if I still smoked, I'd have one right now. BUT I don't, I say with a big smile, and I move on. For me, acknowledging when it comes up keeps me focused and clear - and that clarity supports me in staying grounded in my quit. Blessings- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 422 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,771 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1962.3 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 55 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
17 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jon, Not to scare you but, it has been said that quitting smoking is harder than quitting heroine. Nicotine is indeed as bad as the nastiest drugs out there. I found my quit became much easier when I figured out that I am an addict and I need to treat myself as such! So in that manner it is indeed the same as alcohol or any other drug addicition. The only difference is our drug is legally sold in every little store around the world. What you can do for yourself now thought, is tell yourself, you are over the worst part now, it just gets better and better, and no, you cannot have another cigarette ever. Not if you want to be free of them. It is this simple, smoking is not an option. NOPE! :)Hope this helps! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $601.35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
17 years ago 0 3307 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Alcohol or nicotine, they both are drugs. I have several years in recovery from Alcohol. I can tell you one thing from my own experience that nicotine is harder to give up. I have struggled to get quit and I have not given up. There is another quit in me, I just have to make it my last. At this point I am not sure if there is another quit, so I am going to guard this one like a crazy lady. I think each persons quit is the same and different at the same time. My husband put them down four years ago and never looked back. For me it has been one quit after another. I thank God for his support everyday. Not once has he put me down for smoking again and again. He just say when you are ready you will quit. To sum it up, they both are killers and affect everyone around it. To let you know the desire to drink left me years ago, so I hoping the same thing happen with nicotine. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/30/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0

Reading this thread: