Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,517 Members

Please welcome our newest members: AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12, Fwcl

It feels like a marathon and my endurance is being tested!

17 years ago 0 948 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bingo, Great post! Thank you, it makes us feel better when we can have something to look forward to. Hi Karen, You can do this. We all can with each other help. I was extremely glad to find this site too. It has been so much help to me and I have made so many good friends. Can't say thanks enough to everyone here!!!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 48 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,211 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $240 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 11 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
All, It's been 29 days for me and I was thinking I was the only one feeling like the 'madness' had suddenly taken a step backwards. I am so happy I found you all! The postings tell me I can do it!! Thanks, Karen
17 years ago 0 1985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Bingo, Very good post! We are cut from the same cloth. Let me continue some of the detail: I can only speak for myself although I have said and will say again there ARE similarities in quits, and I also find that no two quits are identical. I have watched others quit along with me. For the majority of quitters, my option, in the six to nine months time frame they have it nailed, not to say that they could not relapse, but the quitting intensity is way, way down and in many cases nearly gone. A smaller number are in a faster boat of three to six months, and another boat load is in the range of nine month to about a year. There are some beyond a year, but not that many and they have tamed the craves significantly. It is not all over in two months, but you are getting better with each day. Sometimes it is two steps forward and one step back. From my own experience, I smoked a pack a day or so for 40 years, two to three months was a real turning point and I remember the one hundred day milestone as a big one and the six months put me over the top. It may seem like a marathon, however that is very temporary feeling. There are ends to all marathons you know. Just keep it going, don�t look back, move forward and rack up those points. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 447 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 8,063 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2458.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 83 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 50
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hiya Changing! Let me start by saying this: You ABSOLUTELY can get through this. I'm the biggest self-defeatist in the world and I'm doing alright. You CAN do this. Each and every single day you have under your belt is one more step to this all being a vague memory. All I can do is relate my own experience. I was a hard core full pack a day smoker. On a good day I could down a pack and a half to 2 packs. For me, I noticed things were gradual. One day I'd realize I'd gone all afternoon without even thinking about smoking. Then on another day I'd notice I'd gone all night without thinking about it. Soon, I'd notice I'd go a whole day without thinking about it. It wasn't all that long before I noticed I was going right through my old smoke break times without even batting an eye. At around 6 months I even could handle going out to the smoke break area if I felt I really needed to talk to someone (My boss doesn't smoke but often wanders out there to chat with the smokers). While I didn't LIKE doing it since I wanted to protect my own quit and not even put myself in trigger situations, I was able to do it without it being a big deal. I really can't put a finger on it, but I'm thinking it was around 3 months or so that I was noticing I was going all day without thinking about smoking. Not every day to be sure, but here and there it would hit me 'Hey, I didn't even think about the fact that I've quit today!'. I hope some of this makes sense. It really does get better. In my opinion, it won't happen overnight, it won't be a big dramatic lift. It's just each and every minute, hour, and day removes one more bit of that weight off your shoulders. Eventually, it becomes enough to notice that that 800 pound Gorilla is only 500 pounds, then 200 pounds, then a little squirrel-sized gorilla. For me, I very rarely think about it now. It's very much a vague memory. I don't even really remember 'smoking' me anymore. Bingo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 356 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1068 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
17 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] At times I feel really strong but then ALL OF A SUDDEN, "Let me tell ya Pilgrim, that craving almost parted my hair." [/quote] LOL!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks, Tutti!! That one helped restore some perspective for me, and tickled my funny-bone all at the same time! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 39 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 995 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $360.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Changing, the marathon eventually becomes a walk in the park. I remember back to stopping for 6 months, I still thought of cigarettes but it was only when i sniffed one out or visited here. After 2 years this is still the same but thats o.k. cos i've built up this huge forcefield that says 'up yours' ! (to tobacco) You may call me demented but i like putting myself in situations that tests this forcefield to see if it still works & it does, it just gets stronger it gets. My message to you... May the force be with you [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 833 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 20,839 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5414.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 120 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$12,495.24

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 3

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 34

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe you just posted yours at the wrong time and it seemed no-one was going to respond but then you got all this great reaction to an honest post. I am still a baby quitter really. I didn't have any preparation but I started with a bang of enthusiasm, tinged with confusion as to how to proceed. Then I had a few days of seeming to cope really well - the novelty and excitement carried me along - but this last couple of days have been bad and I have had all sorts of demons whispering in my head. It is, as I said about 15 days ago, like losing a lover. That awful wrench when a cigarette is no longer an option because it is just not there for you any more and can never be because things have altered and you have to move on with your life without them........ Analogies abound. Running marathons, losing lovers. Anything that puts another smoke free day on the clock and keeps us lot talking about it has to be good. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �119 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 54 [B]Seconds:[/B] 53
17 years ago 0 763 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
changing.....I DID feel this way....you are only 48 days quit....and let me make perfectly clear that while that is only 48 days it is the MOST important, the most difficult days that you will not smoke at this point. That is why a quitter with a small number of days should be shouting it from the rooftops "more" than a quitter with a lot of time.....the first part of quitting is lots harder than the later part of quitting. This feeling of an endless struggle WILL pass....you will begin to find the time increasing that you "don't" think about smoking....finally you just "won't" think about smoking, or at least not in a way that is a struggle. I promise you that this will be the greatest thing you EVER gave yourself. You hang tough....reward yourself....be proud of your time quit...and try to take some time to relax....get pissed about the "thinking" taking your time....drive it away. You are doin' GREAT! Katy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2002 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1926 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 77,055 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10978.2 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 254 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$158,942.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5342 Hours: 14

Minutes: 43 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 106 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Please everyone, don't misunderstand my previous post. I'm not saying I've got this whipped in ANY way shape or form. I know better. I'm just saying it helps ME to disassociate myself from the smoking urges and thoughts and see it as a process my body and mind are going through. I'm done with smoking! They need to get used to that idea. If it takes a year or more, it'll be a tough year, but worth all of the yuckiness. Mike [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/11/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 63 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!! I have a bit of experience along the way. I have had days (December 26th was the best) when smoking has not crossed my mind but they are few and far between. I took months to get off the patch and the gum but I did. I have put on weight but I am now losing it. I started to drink more but have cut right back. I post here as often as I can every day of my life.This means I am putting something back into this world. I hope I am helping others to stop smoking. I will hit 250 days stopped in the morning. I have met some lovely people on this site. I have saved an awesome amount of money. I should live longer. I dont smell anymore (I hope!) I feel so much better in myself. I feel that after one year I will finally be free. All of this has happened in my life and more because I stopped smoking! So to quote you... When these "times" come up, it takes all of my strength to just keep going. Look at my list and forget the craving always look forward NOT BACK! Challenges in life can be fun and SO rewarding... Phil [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 249 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,480 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �1307.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 49 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13

Reading this thread: