Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Tomorrow...

17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Oh jazphoto...u must be after my heart. I understand completely. When it comes to drinking.....oh yeah. It is the most acceptable activity in my town to go out for drinks and I don't drink at all. I used to, till I was drugged, now I have no taste for the stuff. But if anyone around here asks, and I let them in on the fact that i don't drink, they think I'm nuts, or that I think I'm better than them. What a laugh, I take this as though they know they are doing something wrong, most of the prople here are drunks, and it makes them feel better to see someone else doing the same thing. Like smoking, or doing drugs. As for people wanting to see you fail...that's why no one this time knew I was quitting outside of the people I live with. (I had to warn them, afterall)I got so sick of hearing, 'I'll believe it when I see it', 'For how many hours this time', or a flat out 'Yeah, Right'. So I did it. For me. Because I wanted to live a smoke free life and not be a slave to anything, anymore. This quit is the first time I have lasted over 12 hours without lighting up in 14 years, and now look at me....working on Day 21 and still going strong. Thanks to all my friends here. I know that without the full support I have gotten here, I would not have made it this far. And that's not to take away from what I have done. I knew I needed help, that's why I came here. And it was given, full-fledged, and no questions asked. Everyone here has been right where you are, and we know what it's like to feel helpless against this addiction. So we help each other. (Like the thread on art, I have come so close to giving up because I can't paint/draw lately. But I know it's just a phase and it too will improve. I was an artist long before a smoker.)Just keep going, keep fighting, and we will all be here for you. Even if the people you know in everyday life are not. Anytime you need to chat, just send out a post. We can get through this. Tara [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 534 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $173.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 249 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I remember, not too fondly, Day 1 and 2. Everyone spent the day just waiting to see when I was going to break. I would be fine and then all of a sudden, just start laughing for seemingly no reason. Now I believe it had to do with how proud I felt of myself, how good I was doing. After all, everyone I know is still slive and that's a great start. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 20 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 513 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $165 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
17 years ago 0 89 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yeah, it's kind of strange to me that some people wait to see you fail (when I say you, I mean "you" in the general sense). When I told certain friends I was quiting, they were kinda like "oh yeah, I'll believe that when I see it". Now granted, I always used to talk about quiting, and even tried a few times, but I could never seem to get past 24 hours. Now here I am on day 3 and I feel good! Good because I am on my way to a new, healthy life. Though I am saddend at the same time. Why is it SOOOO many people need to smoke, or drink or do drugs...or any combination of those 3. I actually had someone give me a nasty look because I told them I don't drink...when they asked why and I told them it's because I don't like it...they completely blew me off. It was a bit odd to say the least. I mean anything in moderation is okay...but I don't know many people who are very good at moderating.....it seems like some people don't know how to enjoy life without being "ON" something. However, I am MORE than ready to be high on life. Every morning I wake up and realise just how precious this thing called "life" is. It's more beautiful than I could have ever imagined...especially with some of senses heightend!!! There may be some nay sayers, but I am blessed with an incredible support system. I am remembering to just breathe...... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 47 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
Tara, thank you for your beautiful words...they truely mean alot to me. Yes, as an artist, it is difficult. Especially when attempting to focus intensely on one particular piece and having my brain go in a million different directions...except for me, my medium is photoshop and a camera. Though every day, more clarity comes my way....and if day 3 is like this, I can only imaging what it will be like when I have reached 21 days. Changing, you are just right there cheering me and everyone else on...thanks. Oh, and thank you a billion times over for the visualization technique. I am quite glad you used the beach because the beach is my favorite place to be. Since I am a 3 hour drive from the beach, my mind will have to suffice for the time being...and your visualization was pretty darn close to what it is like when I am parked on my beach blanket!!!! Thank you everyone.... Julie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 2 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 48 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
On to day 2! I was coughing up some NASTY stuff this morning, but it felt good, b/c I realised my body is releasing the toxins, and is in the process of healing. So when a small craving hit this morning, I thought about the nasty stuff....I thought " I need to get this out, not put more in. You are healing. I love my body. Thank you for my body. " I kept repeating this until the craving went away...and sure enough, it worked! I truely hope it stays this easy..... Thank you all again!
Hehe, my boss just went and got ME my morning tea! He did so because is proud of me for quitting. I may just have to use this to my advantage...I am coming up with my plan as we speak... So, it's noon...the straw is in my mouth....and everyone is laughing at me, but in the good kind of way. I kinda am just looking at my computer chomping away with a blank stare and laughing every so often. Laughter helps...I swear!!!! This is the longest I HAVE EVER GONE in 11 years without smoking...I am proud of myself....and that is what is important! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
...well that, and everyones support virtually and in real life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 30 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
Porky...good luck on Thursday. Hopefully that walk will be here soon...I know how soothing a good walk can be. Changing...thanks for checking in! I'm doing pretty well thus far actually. It's a much more emotionally calm quit than I ever had...if that makes ANY sense to you! I really was not expecting this. I truely think the cutting back to like 5 a day from a pack, with a firm quit date in mind really helped. I already started going through withdrawl a month ago. So now it's just the cravings...and I am actually (okay, I hope you can understand this) hearing myself think and I squash the thoughts before they fester into an emotional outburst. Now mind you all, it has only been one day. However, I think I am good to go if each coming day is like this. If not, chewing on a straw will have to do. I rotate the gum, straws and water!!!! Thanks everyone!!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
AWESOME technique and resources....thank you Mitri and Changing!!!! I smoked my very last cigarette last night and when I put it out...I told it I won't miss it...and I won't let myself miss it. I may crave it, but that does not mean I will miss them!!!! This morning the "angel and devil" are sitting upon my shoulders....at least, it feels like they are. My primative mind is so addicted, it's telling me to go have one more cigarette...yet my more evolved mind is staying firm in NOOOOOOOO, not a chance. Thank goodness for evolution!!!! And thank goodness for this site!!!! Today begins the first day of the rest of my life. Along with quitting, I am also going to be changing my eating habits to be more healthy, and will be adding more excersize as soon as my neck is healed. I am ready to begin a healthy life!!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
...will be my first smoke free day! I am excited and nervous all at once. I have cut down from a pack to 3-5 a day for the last month. I figured it would be easier to quit cold turkey after cutting down, than from what I was originally smoking. I also found out last week the pain I was experiencing, was from 2 degenerative discs and one herniated disc. Apparently, smoking can make these things worse as well...yet ANOTHER reason to quit. Anyway, I was wondering, have any of you ever used meditation or visualization to help you get over withdrawl symptoms? If so, do you know of any good books or resources I could use to get me started? THANK YOU!!!!!!!!

Reading this thread: