Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Celebrate Your Five Senses!

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, Yes, all my senses are improving and I agree with everything you've mentioned except for the sight part...maybe I always was blind in one eye and couldn't see out the other lol. It is indeed like being a child again in many ways, as I am experiencing many things for the very first time in my adult life without them or my senses being dulled or polluted by a cloud of smoke. Smell and taste have been the most improved here, love the good, not so much the bad (such as I do not want or need as many seasonings...especially salt...on my food and the discovery that I do not like the smell of the deodorant I'd been using for years). My skin is getting softer and less wrinkled too, but since Phil won't let us check his, I'm not sure if it will get as soft as his baby-bottom-type :eg: Pat :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 683 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 57 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
  • Quit Meter

$120,921.60

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 963 Hours: 3

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Couldn't agree with you more, Interesting. This is the best thing I can think of about quitting, now that I'm in the midst of it. I've had sinus trouble for twenty years that suddenly seems to be leaving me (gee wonder what the problem was, Einstein?!?!) so the joy of the renewed ability to smell has gone beyond fixation! Today was the first time since I quit that I got really annoyed at smokers out walking - as I was taking my evening walk, trying to enjoy some fresh air, I seemed to be contained in a perma cloud of smoke. When every offending smoker finally turned the corner, I'd get a gob full of car exhaust fumes. Not to mention passing a few pubs with the doors open - old beer and stale smoke. Rancid. Garph! Urgph! Brrrrapp! (Other exclamatory phrases of disgust!) It got to the point I had to keep raising the arm of my suede jacket to my nose to smell something good (OMG does suede smell AWESOME by the way) But that got me some strange looks after a while...'oy what's with you sniffing yer elbow, sunshine? Outta my way while I blow this smoke up your nose!' So it's now that I send out my much delayed but extremely heartfelt apology to anyone I ever 'smoked out' while I was walking down the street, waiting for a bus, hovering outside a department store doorway. You know, back in the day. I'm a non-smoker now. :) (But sheesh, I really feel awful about that.) Which brings me to point number 2 - smell memories! It not only seems like I'm smelling things for the first time, but some smells are transporting me back to the time 'before smoking' or BS (as it unfortunately abbreviates itself.) I keep walking by this pizza place that smells exactly like the weekly haunt we went to when I was a kid. I've smelled pizza before but whoa nelly, this is beyond paradise (especially since I moved to London from the US and they just haven't seemed to understand how to do good pizza over here. Perhaps I'm mistaken!) Then there's the two guys next to me on the train yesterday. Guy number 1's coat smelled like a dentist's waiting room. Number 2 smelled like an inflatable inner tube for floating around the swimming pool. Dentists and swimming pools. Sure beats the stuffing out of stank breath and armpit. If they ever did a game show 'name tha
17 years ago 0 420 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Taste, smell, touch, hear, sight. I think all my senses have improved since I quit smoking. Food and drinks taste different. I can fully appreciate the smell of coffee and tea. There are things I love the smell of, that I didn't notice one way or the other before. Hearing... I think once the sinuses clear out, the hearing improves. I may be wrong on that one, or maybe I'm dreaming, but it seems to me to be related. I think I hear better. I know that when I drive long distances in the car, my ears don't need popped anymore when I get out of the car, and I don't feel all out of balance like I did sometimes in the past. Sight... Smoking restricts blood vessels, which can play a part in increased progression of macular degeneration in the eyes, so yes... smoking can also affect your eyesight. Taste... that one is obvious, no explanation needed. Touch... I can feel how much softer my skin is, so I'm going to say touch is also affected. I'm so glad I traded the cig for my five senses. I feel like a kid again! I have all my senses (except my common sense?) lol Celebrate your senses!! I am! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 449 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $84.92 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Quite scary the difference in my skin as a 63 year old bloke I shouldnt have skin like a baby's bottom but I have. No checking! me x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 190 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,992 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �997.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41
17 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Interesting, I was so happy to smell things better too. I bought all kinds of showercreams and I loved smelling the new things. Isn't great to be a non smoker?? Yes it is!! Love Dutch xxx [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 319 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,573 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �941.05 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 44 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
17 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good thread! I can now definitely tell the difference between apples and hay... Mr Ed :p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 366 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 10,988 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �2745 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 59 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35
17 years ago 0 2614 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
:) AWESOME! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 362 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,057 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2896 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 59 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 37 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
17 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Your senses do become heightened when you quit! This is a great observation, so please feel free o share with us what you have noticed with your senses :) Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: