Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,522 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

So THIS is what an emotion feels like...

10 years ago 0 54 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just cried reading this. I haven't smoked in almost three months and sometimes it is still really hard, so I admire your strength in the face of so many difficult things. Thanks for coming back to share this with everyone. It was just what I needed to read today.
10 years ago 0 984 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

Hello.  Long time.  This seemed like an appropriate place to say this, so firing away.

I'm two months away from being quit 7 years, and may I freely admit that this emotions thing, friends, is still a MAHOOSIVE issue.  Smoking however is not.  I am never going to smoke again, this I know.  And I wish I could take that thought, extract it, and inject it into the brain of everyone who is new at this quitting thing, everyone who is climbing walls and screaming at their friends and family and alienating even the family dog and desperately eyeing the 7-11 on a drive by thinking 'justonejustoneifIjusthaveoneitwillallend...'  Yes, it will.  It will all end.  So don't.  Take this thought, virtually inject it into your old bean and hang on.

Hang on.

I have determined over the past few days that it is only because I was able to find an outlet for dealing with the emotions that cropped up in the early days that I have been able to quit smoking and to stay quit.  For me, that outlet was exercise, fast and furious, slow and steady, however I could get it. For you, it may be jigsaw puzzles.  Or underwater basket weaving.  Or scrubbing the bathtub.  Find that outlet and love it.  Take it on a date.  Buy it a diamond ring and a six pack of Bud.  Marry it and drink it in.

The emotion thing rages on in my life because quite simply my life rages on.  If I were to believe I may have been a particularly rotten egg in a previous live to be dealt some of the blows in this one...well, what am I saying 'if'?  I clearly was a right cow.

In February 2012 I had meant to come back and joyously celebrate the birth of our first child and say 'yes that is one of the reasons I quit!  I'm elated!  Life is perfect now!'  I had meant to come back and say those things, but when our son was born with Down's syndrome and the doctors scared the bejeezus out of us with their astonishingly low expectations and the rest of the family began behaving as if my husband and I weren't able to raise him properly, that we needed help and he needed fixing (read: therapy) by 'professionals', well, I didn't think it was a good time to come back.  What we did to deserve such little family support when we most needed it?  Only the big guy upstairs knows that one, but it has lit an inferno in me.

But I haven't smoked.

Today, my son remains my light and my life.  He is healthy and strong and so mildly affected by this condition that although concerned for what his future will hold, we are no longer afraid.

As a smoker I could not have handled this unexpected scenario.  I could not have been strong enough to understand that the cards we are dealt have been dealt for a purpose.  That purpose may be because we have been a rotten cow in a previous life.  Or that purpose may be because there is something we are missing and we are needing to learn.  The stress of being gestational diabetic and the condescending medical bods all around us before his birth didn't help ease us in to this new and amazing life.

Yet all that stress and I didn't smoke.  I didn't feel any need whatsoever.

Late last year, my father fell ill with what they thought was pneumoia and was later diagnosed with stage 4 lung cancer.  We raced home for a last family Thanksgiving because we didn't know how much time was left.  He saw his grandson thriving and that lifted me more than any Marlboro ever did.  He chain smoked for another three months and on my last solo visit as he was under hospice care from two of the most amazing people I have ever had the privilege to meet, he passed away in his recliner - an old brown corduroy job, liberally peppered with burn holes - precisely one hour before I left his apartment to fly back home.  For reasons I won't include here, my only brother and I are now irreparably estranged.

And I didn't smoke.  I won't ever smoke again.  I have seen what it does.  Dad once was a big scary man.  He died a frail, scared man.  From smoking.

What I did do since I quit smoking is to train for, and run a 10k to raise money for cancer research, in memory of my Pop.  I am still no runner, in fact, I've still got a pretty good overuse hip injury, but that there was the most important thing I've ever done.  And I suspect anyone reading this will perfectly understand why.

What I did do was find my voice.  And I have a BIG mouth.  I was bullied back in the day and now with nothing to quash my anger, fear, irritation, whathaveyou, I speak up and I speak out.  It is causing a problem in the family.  Yet I will not go quietly.  I will not be walked upon.  And I will not smoke.

And nor should you.

Hang on.

x T

11 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nicely done Jim!

This is a great way to support !

Josie, Health Educator
11 years ago 0 2778 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You're welcome Rose!

I've decided to go through Forum topics and if there has been no activity for a few days, I'm bumping up a thread that I think will be helpful for someone!  At least that way there's something new on the boards and hopefully someone will read the posts, get something out of it and respond!  Feedback from members to members is important!  So, be on the lookout for threads you haven't seen before!  Bound to be something helpful to read!  I've bumped a few in the last couple days under different topics.  Check them out!

Have a great smoke-free weekend!

Jim

• Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1059 Hours: 12

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the Bump Jim...The emotions are the hardest part to staying quit for me..I really needed to read this post..It helps to know I am not loosing your mind and that others have had a hard time with letting themselves feel the emotions for the first time too.  That they have learned how to feel them and been able to move past them to a brighter future..

Red...

You are welcome, Carlos!!

There are so many great posts on these forums from many who have conquered the nico-demon before us!  When you have time, just browse through different Forum categories and you will find more great posts!  If you find an old one you think will be helpful, reply to the post and it will bring it forward for others to read!

You're doing great so far, buddy!!!  I'm proud of you, too!!!  Keep up the great quit you have going !!!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

11 years ago 0 124 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks jim, great post and it made me understand what I am going through

Bump for Carlos and anyone else who is going through some emotions!

Jim 
  • Quit Meter

$44,265.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bumping a post from our perennial 37 year-old who has at last admitted to being 40!!!
  • Quit Meter

$56,782.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 18

Minutes: 25 Seconds: 58

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

13 years ago 0 2508 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Cristina,

Thank you for Bumping this thread today you are a God send!!!  This is what I Really needed today.  I could really relate to
Six days on the Beach and Also the first post on this thread....Actually all of the posts are on this thread are really helping me  a lot today...  I am sure they will help many others too....  I will be back to read this over and over again as I learn to feel and dealing with my emotions for the first time in my life......  Thank you Todash and everyone so very very much for sharing your feelings and your journeys with your quits!!!

Your Friend

Rose

My Mileage:

My Quit Date: 5/30/2010
Smoke-Free Days: 38
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,520
Amount Saved: $494.00
Life Gained:
Days: 5 Hrs: 7 Mins: 32 Seconds: 49

Reading this thread: