Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,671 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MNJD, kybrg, Jhancke, CKYLA ASHLEY, PGOMEZ

Shortness of breath....

16 years ago 0 1040 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Correen, I've attempted to quit twice and this has happened both times. This time it's been due to 3 different bouts with bronchitis since I quit smoking. But even without the bronchitis... your lungs are cleaning themselves out, and the congestion can effect the amount of oxygen you're getting. As others have said... if this becomes an ongoing concern or if it becomes severe, seek medical guidance. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/6/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 115 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,875 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,063.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 18 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
16 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have also experienced this difficulty catching a good breath in the last 2 days as well. I'm feeling it's probably part of the healing process, but will certainly visit my GP if it doesn't clear up in a few weeks... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 8 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 120 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �20.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 123 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Correen, I experienced something like this for the first couple of days of my quit... Like there was a weight onmy chest and I just couldn't breathe deep enough. It cleared by itself but I agree if it persists and you feel worried in any way see your doctor... Hope you feel better soon... Krissie
17 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I had that problem last year at this time. Went to the doctor and had a good case of bronchitis. Gave me antibiotics and an inhaler. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,027 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $185 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I did, and I had bronchitis. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $214.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Correen, I was the same on and off before i quit, mainly when it was humid. Are you breathing through your mouth or through your nose? am asking this as i have chronic sinusitis and a deviated septum so it really effects the amount of air i am able to breathe in through my nose and it gives me the sense of not being able to get a full breathe, makes me feel like im gasping sometimes too. When i breathe through my mouth im fine. It is frightening but as you see other members have experienced this also. You're on 22 days, thats awesome :) PrincessC x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 592 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $255 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
17 years ago 0 1128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Correen, It more likely was. If you had put the other symptoms down that you were feeling i probably could have told you thats what it was lol :) There is a sister site for anxiety, i cant remember the name of it right now but im sure one of the moderators would be kind enough to post it for you. When it happens again, i know it can sometimes be hard to do but try relax and know that you are safe. :) PrincessC x :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 27 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 628 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $275.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
17 years ago 0 94 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Has anyone experienced that? Like you can't breathe or can't get enough in. I just keep taking these deep breaths and they dont seem to be enough. I was doing this before I quit smoking but it seems to have started up the last day. It is rather scary. Is it anxiety? Is it a symptom of withdrawl. It has not been all day but just spells of feeling like I'm gasping or something. Geesh I sure dont like it. I have not had bad cravings or anything. Thanks, Correen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 903 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
Thanks so much! I breathed alittle better just knowing that its not way out of line when you quit smoking. Well for a little while, right? I tried to hold my breath a few seconds and then was more able to get what I felt was enough air.....a deeper inhale. Does that make sense. LOL Then my mind felt like it had some relief. Thanks Correen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 933 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $86.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
You know I was just reading on BGs thread.....someone brought up Panic attacks. I wonder if that what was happening to me yesterday?? Hmmmm, Had this feeling of not being able to swallow on top of feeling like i couldnt get enough air. Then was frighten, a couple times i even thought i was gonna have to call emergency.....and that there is something i would never do. Then i would start telling myself this is just not having nicotene??? I have had anxiety attacks.... that the same right? I just remember the breathing thing. I hope i am making sense. I am at work and shouldnt be on here :8o: so i am rushing. LOL Thanks a million, correen

Reading this thread: