Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,531 Members

Please welcome our newest members: BXAMUELLE CHRISTIEN, Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima

Junkie thoughts????

18 years ago 0 160 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Excellent word picture, Butterfly!
18 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have the occasional junkie thought every now & then and was wondering from all you veteran former smokers how long it took before your junkie thoughts started to go away. I'm not concerned i might slip but it's annoyinig to have the thought pop into my head. BJ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 468 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 22 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
18 years ago 0 75 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Butterfly you have quite an imagination!! Laughing my butt off over here about the crapping birds!!! Hhahaha!!Your right about dismissing the thought, thats what i have been doing because it is a ridiculous though!! I don't think about what i can't have, i think about my clothes & hair smelling better and not worrying about if i have enough cig's to get me through a nite or day or whatever. I think the people who feel like victims or feel cheated because they've lost their "friend" are the ones who have a real hard time. Attitude is everything! BJ [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 25 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 508 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $62.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
18 years ago 0 1 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Regarding junkie thoughts, is that what is happening to me?? SOmetimes just out of nowwhere a thought pops into my head to just go have a smoke. I could be laying down, watching tv, etc. And I have been trying to rationlize why I have thought of these weird things as I have never before smoked in my house. And you said they never go away?
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Punkin.........don't fret. I'm not sure how far along in your quit you are right now, but Katy and Butterfly hit it on the head. You can't compare what you go thru early in your quit to what happens as you get use to not smoking. I read that you pretty much have to go a year before you are "retrained" to handle different situations without cigarettes. Thru all of the seasons, birthdays, holidays, etc. And even then, a very stressful situation may cause a crave to come rushing back. But, by then, you really don't [b]WANT[/b] to smoke. It's just a thought of smoking.......not too much punch behind it. UNLESS you allow it. And that's the big part. Butterfly used a good example - you can't "make love" to the crave. You have to banish it. And that goes for an early crave, or one that hits you after you have been quit for a month or a year or two......If you allow the thought to stay there, you will drive yourself [i]insane[/i], and you are feeding the crave what it wants. Your attention. After 40 days of not smoking, I am stopping the patch. Just decided today to not put it on. That's a huge step for me, and I'm prepared with a patch if it doesn't work. But so far, I have been able to talk myself out of the niggle craves I have been getting, and I stocked up on veggies today. (got some chocolate too, don't tell anyone though) The craves do go away. Trust us.............they do. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 40 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 612 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks Butterfly I needed that. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 49 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,489 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $171.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well they don't go away real soon that's for sure, after a while I thought I was doing so good and then today...BAM, out pops that junkie in me. Unlike most people I can not avoid tobacco since selling it is a big part of my work and I have had to find a power to quit in the mist of smokers. My cravings in the last couple of weeks have almost been mild, so where is this junkie coming from ???? I think it may be that I am trying to talk my self into dieting, so far I can't find the will to do both. I have tried to at least not give into too many empty calories and keep lots of fruits and veggies as snacks. Hang in there BJ, if I have done this so far after smoking for 35 years. The junkie in you does tame but from what I read, never leaves :mad: but we can do it. Have a glass of fruit juice......Eve [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,424 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $164.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 3 [B]Mins:[/B] 45 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sweet liitle birdie, flying upon high, Dropped his cargo in farmer's eye. "Oh arrgh!" said farmer, wiping his eye, "It's a darn gude job me coos can't fly! Don't let nicotine c*ap on you! Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 334 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �235 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
18 years ago 0 672 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Guess what, the 'junky' thoughts never go away, it's how you choose to deal with them that counts, stick with whatever works. We are all nicotine addicts for life. this puts smoking into perspective & is the only way you will understand what the habit actually is. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 391 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,778 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2541.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 56 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
  • Quit Meter

$12,509.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 625 Hours: 22

Minutes: 33 Seconds: 26

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 389 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great analogy ButterflySwimmer. Makes a whole TON of sense to me and helps me make sense out of the nonsense thoughts that have been invading my otherwise very happy brain! Thanks!! N.O.P.E. Janet [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 433 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $63 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16

Reading this thread: