Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

This Is The Hardest Thing I've Ever Done

14 years ago 0 855 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
 Hi Thats what i said too, but now that seems so far behind me, it does get better and better just stay with it , 127 days is huge, you got it !!! you will do this :) Tresa
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/8/2002
Smoke-Free Days: 2586
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 62,064
Amount Saved: $10,861.20
Life Gained:
Days: 335 Hrs: 22 Mins: 13 Seconds: 44

14 years ago 0 136 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda, I'm really proud of you and your 127 days. You have worked really hard to get where you are and I'm glad this time is working for you. 

Rusty

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/13/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1728
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 88,128
Amount Saved: $19,828.80
Life Gained:
Days: 156 Hrs: 1 Mins: 19 Seconds: 25

14 years ago 0 1904 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone, what I meant to imply in my original thread is that this is the hardest thing I've ever done when ALL of the past quits are included. (I think I do say that.) Overall, I'm not having much of a difficult time this time. As a matter of fact, compared to some prior attempts this is try is relatively easy. Plus, I want to remember this attempts (which includes all past attempts) as a very difficult thing to do. I am not likely to relapse since I believe this is not something I can do at anytime.

As for the breathing, I was using nothing before. Now I'm using Advair and Advair works. Needing nothing, however, was better.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 127
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,556
Amount Saved: $1,377.95
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 21 Mins: 58 Seconds: 9

14 years ago 0 278 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Brenda,

Sorry to hear about the breathing being worse after quitting smoking.  I do have some days myself where it is tough, and days I felt better when I was smoking.  However, the end result is always going to be in the long run that your breathing will be better without smoking than with.  If you find that it is not getting better, talk to your doctor about the Advair.  Not all inhalers work for everyone.  I had symbicort work for me, and advair caused irritation in my lungs.  There are different options that you can look at there, and your doctor will be more apt to help you when you have done your part by quitting smoking.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/3/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 155
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,325
Amount Saved: $1,162.50
Life Gained:
Days: 16 Hrs: 22 Mins: 54 Seconds: 43

Thanks.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 127
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,556
Amount Saved: $1,377.95
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 20 Mins: 44 Seconds: 21

14 years ago 0 1127 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda,

Try to think different about smoking. Think positive and think about this: Do you miss the smelly breath? No. Do you miss the chance to get cancer? No. Do you miss the stains on your teeth? No. Do you miss the money that you needed to buy ciggies? No....you just gain all that money.

Quitting smoking is the most positive thing you ever did and right now you think it is the hardest thing. You can change your mind if you want. It takes the same energy to think positive than to think negative.

You can do it girl, you did it one week, you did it one month....you can do it the rest of your life. Believe me, you will feel so much better once you get used to not smoking.

I wish you good luck.

Hugs....Dutch

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 4/1/2006
Smoke-Free Days: 1252
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 37,560
Amount Saved: �5,915.70
Life Gained:
Days: 162 Hrs: 16 Mins: 20 Seconds: 53

14 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Brenda,

Just keep your eyes on the prize and clocking up the days!!

This thing WILL get easier just like it is easier for you today on day 126 than it was on day one.  Extrapolate that to infinity and the urge to smoke will become a spec in history. You are moving happily along that line.

Good Luck
Penitent

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 5/18/2004
Smoke-Free Days: 1935
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 48,375
Amount Saved: �12,093.75
Life Gained:
Days: 327 Hrs: 17 Mins: 43 Seconds: 54

• Quit Meter

$56,716.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1123 Hours: 6

Minutes: 9 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Thanks Folks. Actually, I don't think I'm having that difficult of a time with this quit. I crave sometimes, but nowadays they aren't very intense, although they may last a while. They are really just thoughts. I do not have to act on my thoughts. They are striking me as harmless, and I'm at a point now where I can even handle reading about other peoples' slips and relapses. I couldn't do that a month ago.

My difficult time is coming from medical issues. Actually, my breathing has been much worse since I quit smoking. My asthma was almost daily this summer, and the night times were particularly bad. Now I'm using Advair along with a rescue inhaler.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 125
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,500
Amount Saved: $1,356.25
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 17 Mins: 20 Seconds: 13

14 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey Brenda! You are right, you are doing one of the hardest things there is to do, from the point of view that you are recovering from an addiction.  The fact that you know you can't ever smoke another cigarette again, tells me that you are very aware of your efforts and very serious about it.
I do want to point out to you that you have alot of good stuff to focus on now and doing so will help you to realize that you are doing great, and that you are indeed accomplishing quitting smoking!
-You have over 125 days smoke free! That is a long time, its over four months and that is awesome!
-You can breathe so much better already and it gets better each day!
-Your skin is clearer and brighter, your eyes are clearer and brighter!
-You smell sooooo much better!
-You have alot more free time now!
-You have alot more money in your pockets now!
-You have added thirteen days to your life, you are saving your own life!
-You have more energy now!
-Your breath is fresher, your teeth are healing!
-You are discovering your feelings more now, as the veil of smoke that choked them out before, is now gone!
-You have an online family here, full of support and kindness, ready to help you when ever you need it!

Brenda, I would say you got alot going for you, and focusing on all of these wonderful things, will help you through any tough times! Congratulations, you are doing fantastic!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/5/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 913
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 22,825
Amount Saved: $9,632.15
Life Gained:
Days: 120 Hrs: 20 Mins: 55 Seconds: 51

14 years ago 0 90 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey ya Bub, You were one of the first people to greet me when this kiwi from the bottom of the world crashed in !!!! I look at your meter and it inspires me. I know you are dealing with all sorts of demons from time to time but you are on top!!! Someone once told me that "a thought is just a thought, it has absolutely no power until you act on it, some thoughts do not deserve such power"
Keep posting Brenda, we are all watching out for you, and we care.

Carlos

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 7/1/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 64
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,600
Amount Saved: $480.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 15 Mins: 14 Seconds: 48

Reading this thread: