Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,520 Members

Please welcome our newest members: FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA, JD7, Ww12

California dreamin'

15 years ago 0 375 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bob--

Yes!  It's disturbing that it can happen that fast.  Thanks for writing about that experience for you.  I KNOW we are not alone, and am wondering if anyone read the rest of this thread.

Since I cleaned the car out, I feel like I'm back at a muted square one.  Craving a bit, needing to chew gum, "smoke" on straws.... eat.  I had gotten past that and had really had no cravings.  Oh well.  It takes what it takes.

Hey, Rock!  It is now cold here.  Hope you are enjoying San Jose and please forgive for the hot advice.  Things can change at the drop of a hat weather-wise and I am currently under a blanket with all heaters blasting.  :)

D

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/8/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 24
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 576
Amount Saved: $172.80
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 11 Mins: 20 Seconds: 34

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
deb,

I love that pic! Hehe how clever
Congratulations on 3 smoke free weeks. I am glad to hear that you are determined to remain smoke free, and that you won't give up
Stay strong, and as you know, we're always here for you.

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 625 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
you did GOOD!!!

It got easy for me.......and I started thinking I truly had it beat.  Next thing I know I'm like you were.........almost lighting up and not really even thinking about it. 
It was so easy and quick.........Ann left her pack on top of the bench in the garage and I was walking outside.  I grabbed them and pulled one and looked for a lighter.  I use a different route to the back yard now.

These "tests" happen fast and at times we don't expect at all.  This addict is very sly.  He will lay back for days, even weeks and let you get complacent.  Then he'll strike.  Pay attention to what deb and I are saying.......it can happen anytime......to anyone.  Stay ready and remember N.O.P.E.

Bob

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/27/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 62
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 1,860
Amount Saved: $260.40
Life Gained:
Days: 13 Hrs: 0 Mins: 36 Seconds: 21

Thank you Moss and Marnini,

I've had so much good energy, and have gotten so much done.  But!  I was sorely tested today.

I need to scoot off to bed, but wanted to check in because I had a very close call.

I cleaned the car out today-- haven't really cleared it out for a month.  With a five-year-old, there was much to clear!  Coloring books, crayons, juice boxes, cars..... but also empty cigarette boxes (not from him of course).

And I hadn't cleaned my ashtray since I quit....AND I also found a full pack of ciggies.

So I was cleaning away and found these things and in the time it takes to say, "no", I had a cigarette in my mouth.  I thought to myself that I wanted it.  And the weird thing was, I haven't had a craving in almost a week.  I hadn't craved at all even when I was cleaning the car.  I've been feeling great. 

Thank God there was no lighter around.  I actually searched for one!  But it gave me just enough time to realize what was going on.  Lots of thoughts around that, but the short of it is that I realized how tender the quit still is.  I realized that even though I feel like I've got a handle on it, a crave can come out of nowhere and take over in the blink of an eye.

I'm still smoke free.  I don't want to give this up.  I won't give this up.  I am 3 weeks smoke free, and I am committed to staying this way.  I love how my life has been since I quit, and can't believe that it could have been gone that fast. 

I really believe that the dream was a message.  I want to see my son grow up.  I want to see us laugh together, watch his baseball games, help him through school, send him off to college...............but most of all, I don't want him to mourn his mother.  He has no one else but me.  I need to be here.  For us.

d

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 22
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 528
Amount Saved: $158.40
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 6 Mins: 27 Seconds: 49

15 years ago 0 916 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb
Congratulations!
You are doing great! You are past the hardest stage of this quitting process! Third week was the hardest for me!
So Deb, you already know, it gets better!
Today was a great day for me! I felt great!!!!!!!!
Marivi

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/23/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 65
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 975
Amount Saved: $97.50
Life Gained:
Days: 7 Hrs: 11 Mins: 50 Seconds: 56

15 years ago 0 649 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deb...

Am glad the dream strengthened your resolve.

And a BIG CONGRATS on reaching 3 weeks today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Moss

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 11/19/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 496
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 7,440
Amount Saved: $1,674.00
Life Gained:
Days: 80 Hrs: 21 Mins: 8 Seconds: 14

Oh Rock!  How cool you will be so close!

I'm not sure where you're coming from, but beware-- it is really hot right now-- especially in San Jose.  It's in the 80's here today, and it's usually 10 degrees hotter there.  I was just there yesterday, in fact :) 

If you're coming from southern ca, then this will be no big deal for you.  We are a little ridiculous around here..... tend to flip out about the weather whenever it veers above or below 70.  :)

And Ew la la-- you sound like a native....   This is me swooning..... some guy had to catch me.

(Breanne is probably rolling her eyes).

Bob, I didn't realize I was going to have 3 weeks tomorrow until you wrote that.  Yeah!

Thank you MM.  You're a wonderful inspiration with a wicked cool sense of humor.  I hope your quit inspires your daughter.

Impala-- definitely not bouncing off of any more walls..... not right now anyway.  I've been working in the garden all day weeding and planting (and buying more "rewards" from the nursery).  I'm with Bob-- I've spent two years worth of no smoking money on rewards.    BUT.... I'm happy and the garden looks fantastic.  So I'm just going to shut up about spending.  I'm not smoking.  And I thank you all for putting my head back on straight about that.

My Milage:

Smoke-Free Days: 20
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 480
Amount Saved: $144.00
Life Gained:
Days: 2 Hrs: 3 Mins: 2 Seconds: 27

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Bonjour mon amis!  SVP ne fumez pas is please don't smoke.  Maintenez stoppe is keep the quit.  Or so my online English to French translator says.  Isn't it weird how our mind works.  The dreams we have, its like there is a message we have to receive, and it sometimes works better in a dream.  I'm just so happy that you are 1 day away from three weeks quit!  I'm also happy that this dream helped strengthen your quit!  I'm heading to San Jose Monday morning for the week, so I'll send happy thoughts and warm wishes to you during my week in California! 
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 220
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 8,800
Amount Saved: $1,760.00
Life Gained:
Days: 32 Hrs: 21 Mins: 19 Seconds: 8

15 years ago 0 639 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Deb - great message!  The man sounds like me 3 months ago.  The good new?  That was then...this is NOW!

You are making great progress on your journey.....good to read a message where you aren't bouncing off the wall!!!

Keep the Quit..............How do you say that in French?  Then we can integrate this into our the language and become bi-lingual dreamers (just like Breanne)!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/19/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 68
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 2,040
Amount Saved: $561.00
Life Gained:
Days: 11 Hrs: 4 Mins: 10 Seconds: 58

• Quit Meter

$50,480.15

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1124 Hours: 15

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 5

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow.
Wow.
Wow!
That was some dream.  Weird, but last night I had a smoking dream---and I have not had one in quite some time.  I dreamed my (smoking) daughter was visiting and I started smoking with her while we were sitting on the front porch watching her baby play in the water hose...?
I am so glad your dream was a quitting dream.  And a very insightful one as well!  I am so proud of you, Deb.  You are doing really G-R-E-A-T!!!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 157
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 6,280
Amount Saved: $1,256.00
Life Gained:
Days: 17 Hrs: 17 Mins: 1 Seconds: 54

• Quit Meter

$52,350.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 740 Hours: 12