Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,501 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

I'm flipping out!

15 years ago 0 1843 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Twohazy, do what you need to do.  We're not judging, each of us are different.  For me personally, it was all or nothing.  I needed to get the nicoteen out of my system once and forever.  If you can get down to just 1 smoke a day, then maybe after a while you'll get down to 1 smoke every 2-3 days, then 1 a week, then 1 a month, then you don't smoke at all.  You do what you gotta do.  We're all on a different path in this game called Life. 
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 8/20/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 147
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 5,880
Amount Saved: $1,176.00
Life Gained:
Days: 22 Hrs: 0 Mins: 35 Seconds: 5

15 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

the most important thing to remember is yes, everyone's quit is different.  some people can do it all at once, others cannot. some do it cold turkey - others do not.   i do believe, however, that smoking ONE cigarette is SMOKING.  you are not quitting yet.   maybe you aren't ready to...but one cigarette counts.   it is nothing to beat yourself up over..and in the long run..one is better than 20.....but one is one and it counts.   we are all supportive of your attempts...your success...we will be here for failures and bumps in the road.  you will be a non-smoker when you realize that a cigarette IS not your friend regardless of what it promises....your first real day of non smoking is when that ONE cigarette is not part of it.  it will happen when you're ready...and it's okay if it isn't today....try and stay strong....i cried every day for the first two weeks...i dropped things and bumped into people - i was on edge and sad and moody and felt like i lost my best friend...i had, in a way...that marlboro was there for me through every hard time i ever had.   amazing that my life is still not easy and yet i am surviving..i guess it was me all along and not the marlboro.    please keep trying...we do not judge...those of us who are into this for a few months know how much better we feel physically, emotionally and financially and we wish the same for you.  so...here we are...and good luck.     please keep trying.  NotOnePuffEver.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 2/7/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 342
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 10,260
Amount Saved: $4,360.50
Life Gained:
Days: 40 Hrs: 4 Mins: 27 Seconds: 16

• Quit Meter

$7,226.70

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 798 Hours: 14

Minutes: 54 Seconds: 52

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
twohazy

i can tell by your determination that you WILL do this , welcome aboard and go to the statistics area tomorrow to get on our train ride.

mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 308
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,240
Amount Saved: $2,772.00
Life Gained:
Days: 52 Hrs: 6 Mins: 28 Seconds: 47

15 years ago 0 967 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, I have to say that I agree with everyone on here.  Mike..I too would never have quit if I could control it to one a day..and MM, I am also a pack or two a day or nothing.  I never had control.  I also believe that everybodys quit is different, and maybe this will help TH to deal with the mental anxiety of quitting.  We all need to do what it takes...

No matter what, we are here for you.

Kelly

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 12/6/2007
Smoke-Free Days: 405
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 12,150
Amount Saved: $1,518.75
Life Gained:
Days: 33 Hrs: 17 Mins: 45 Seconds: 54

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Not really.  Everyone quits at different paces and different ways....
However, my own personal experience in this area was not successful.  This is not my first quit and my last one lasted 16 months.  I blew it with a "I'll have just one..."  At other times I tried unsuccessfully to cut back and then I tried a "I'll just have three a day, after meals.", which graduated to a "That's awfully hard, I suppose I'll add one in the morning and one at bedtime."  Until I was back to smoking full-time.  NOPE for me.  I am either gonna smoke a pack or more a day or nothing.  I'm not passing judgement on you.  You do what you think is best for you.  I hope it works out.  Just be careful and wear your cleats.  That's a mighty slippery slope!

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 84
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,360
Amount Saved: $672.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 12 Mins: 13 Seconds: 3

• Quit Meter

$52,300.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 739 Hours: 18

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Why "Uh oh"?  I guess you disagree with what I'm saying.
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 1 Mins: 26 Seconds: 7

15 years ago 0 597 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Uh-oh......................
My Milage:

My Quit Date: 10/22/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 84
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 3,360
Amount Saved: $672.00
Life Gained:
Days: 9 Hrs: 12 Mins: 10 Seconds: 0

• Quit Meter

$52,300.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 739 Hours: 18

Minutes: 49 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

15 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Two,

We are not here to judge only support, so whatever is working for you..do it!

Post often and use the site for knowledge and support.  We do know where you are coming from and we can steer you on the right path.

Josie, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 26 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I appreciate everyone's opinion.  I have already admitted that it is probably the wrong choice for me to allow myself one cigarette but I also don't believe that smoking one a day (if I even do smoke one a day) will cause me to go back to smoking full time.
I know for a fact that it is possible to smoke only one a day because my sister has been doing it for a very long time.  She's not trying to quit but she also refuses to give up that one.
I'm not trying to be like her, on the contrary.  I'm just trying to remain sane and if this works for me, then I'm going to be better off in the end.  I do want to quit smoking totally and believe in my heart that I will be a non-smoker before too long.  I'm just trying to maintain my sanity while doing it.

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 1/14/2009
Smoke-Free Days: 0
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 0
Amount Saved: $0.00
Life Gained:
Days: 0 Hrs: 1 Mins: 16 Seconds: 53

15 years ago 0 901 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
okay , this is just an honest statement and i hope it's not misundertood. but if i could smoke just 1 cigarette a day , i wouldn't even try to quit.

mike/astrofan

My Milage:

My Quit Date: 3/12/2008
Smoke-Free Days: 308
Cigarettes Not Smoked: 9,240
Amount Saved: $2,772.00
Life Gained:
Days: 52 Hrs: 5 Mins: 47 Seconds: 5

Reading this thread: