Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.755 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,684 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Strongyogi*, TNIKKA, SKARYLE KATE, BMARC ANTHONY, MNJD

Help, please

16 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I knew that you could do this Marcus! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 376 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 5,640 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,579.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 35 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 17
16 years ago 0 5009 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Marcus, Well done to you! And if it's any consolation, when I went through these experiences I believe it actually made my resolve stronger in the long term. :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]2/13/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 705 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,150 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �5,287.50 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 114 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 9
16 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, that worked! As I said on Friday morning, the fantastic show of support and great advice was enough to get me through the day. I kept my promise - I didn't smoke, I used lots of the coping techniques I read in your posts, and I rewarded myself with a bottle of vintage Champagne after work last night (cheers, Deck!). Alohakeia, you said "look at this situation as a gift..a chance to learn new ways of dealing with stressful situations...". Well, I tried my hardest to do this yesterday morning, and looking back 24 hours later, I realize that last week *was* a gift. The "stupidly stressful situation" I'd got myself into sorted itself out spectacularly well just after lunch, and once I'd banished the the thought that I could smoke a cigarette to celebrate (easy!), I took a bit of time to think about what I'd learned from the experience. One thing is this - if stress is a trigger, then try your hardest to avoid putting yourself under any stress during the early stages of your quit. Anna, Unhooked, and Tresa - you all pointed out that a cigarette wasn't going to do a damn thing to help the situation I was in. You're right, as we all know, but it DOES help to keep this constantly in mind when you're dealing with stress. Every time the urge became unbearable, I repeated to myself "a cigarette isn't going to make this problem go away - it's just going to give you one MORE problem to worry about, and that's the last thing you need right now". Sparky and Frosty - "If I can make it through this I can make it through anything". "Don't smoke, if you do the demon wins again". Well, I made it through week 3, I've learned from the mistake of putting myself under needless stress, and the next time I AM under stress, I'll know that if I beat it in week three, there's no reason on earth I should lose in week 6. I didn't smoke, the demon lost, and that leaves me stronger and the demon weaker. Sue in NC - "Review your quit reasons, keep them where you used to keep your smokes, laminate them and put them in that pocket..." I didn't have time Friday morning between reading your most and going to work, so what I DID do was this: I took a few minutes every hour or so to mentally focus on WHY I've chosen to no longer smoke. Great advice. Den, MJ - yep, it IS going to get easier, isn't it? All we have to do is have a great eday today without smoking, and tomorrow will be even easier. Sylvie - writing is good therapy. I haven't been doing a quit diary, but just sitting down and putting thoughts to paper helps enormously. Writing posts to SSC or scribbling ideas on the back of an envelope helps focus the mind. Deck - tha's TWO deals I've got - ou ad Den. If you don't, I won't. Nice to know I'm not the only anglophone January '08 quitter living in France coping with stress. Alohakeia - a little bit of pleasure DOES help. OK, I couldn't find a hell of a lot to laugh about first thing Friday morning, but I did try to spend a bit of time relaxing and joking around with colleagues later on. As a smoker, I'd leave the desk every hour or so, announcing "off for a cig- back in 5". Friday, every so often I'd leave, saying "I'm off to not smoke for a bit - see you later", and I'd go for a walk round the block, breathing deeply. Which reminds me... JDK - you're right, of course. Stress is always a question of perception, I think. Whatever you're worried about, you can probably say - "What's the WORST that can happen? Well, whatever it is, it hasn't happened yet, and, even if it does, it's not the end of the world". Thanks again, everyone. I'll be away for three weeks starting next Tuesday, but I'll be back early February, and I'll be a non-smoker. That's a promise. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 18 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 360 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �95.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
16 years ago 0 515 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
MARCUS!! I am soooo happy that you made it thru that stressful time! That is great news!! I didn't smoke either so our deal is still on!! Each time like yesterday will help make you stronger - you are worth it!!! Stay strong!!! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/7/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 11 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 198 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $75.24 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
16 years ago 0 1288 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Memebers, Thank you for the great advice. Hopefully these tips will help everyone get threw the day smoke free! Keep persevering!Sylvie, Bilingual Health Educator
16 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Deck and Marcus, Just checking in whilst I have chance in another stressful day. Hope you too are hanging in there. Stress can be caused by own perceptions so it often worth just stepping and back and seeing the situation as it really is. After all it may not be as bad as you think it is. I'd recommend deep breathing slowly 10 times before you take that step back as by then you will find yourself a lot calmer anyway. Hope the advice is good for you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 190 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,750 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �798.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 24 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are so right Alohakeia. Thanks a million for helping me to put things into perspective. I so so appreciate the help and support from all of you. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19
  • Quit Meter

$408,933.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8155 Hours: 8

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3207 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[quote] I know that the cigarette will do nothing to alleviate the problems nor the stress. I know that smoking will not change my reactions to the problems I am facing, but I can't help feeling that just a little pleasure right now would be sooo welcome. [/quote] You are so right about that, deck!!! So what's your pleasure going to be? Sucking in poison? How about a break for a good cup of coffee? or, i know! go buy a Gary Larsen book or calendar and give yourself a few pages to read when you're feeling stressed. To change a familiar quote a bit, "You can't smoke when you're laughing out loud" [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/22/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 302 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,080 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2,053.60 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 42 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
16 years ago 0 83 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just logged on in order to overcome an extremely stressful situation that has arisen and the a-cigarette-will-help-me idea has been going around in my head for the last two hours. I have just left another stress-producing meeting and I'm sure that the ideas running around in the heads of my colleagues were murder him or buy him a carton of cigs. Believe me if anybody had even shown me a packet I am sure I would have given in. I'm glad now that smoking is no longer permitted in the workplace. I remember the time when it was difficult not to smoke, even as a non-smoker. I know that the cigarette will do nothing to alleviate the problems nor the stress. I know that smoking will not change my reactions to the problems I am facing, but I can't help feeling that just a little pleasure right now would be sooo welcome. Of course I know that if I give in I will be setting myself up for the additional stress of looking for a place to smoke in what is now a very intolerant place for smokers, unless you like freezing your *ss off outside int he cold while puffing on a damp unmentionalble. As they say life is a bee with an itch - Keep hanging on in there Marcus and if you don't I won't - but have a glass of champagne for me while your at it. ;) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/6/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 12 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 420 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $156.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 2
  • Quit Meter

$408,933.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8155 Hours: 8

Minutes: 39 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 140 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
7am here, and I just logged on to my 10 responses. I love you guys. I need to go to work now, but I'll try and check in later today. I'll be printing off your reponses and reading them throughout the day - there's some GREAT advice there. I'm a bit shaky, but everything you all wrote has strengthened my resolve. I will not smoke today, and tonight I shall reward myself ith a bottle of champagne. Den - okay, if you don't then I won't, & vice-versa - we have a deal. Thanks a million guys. Back soon, and I owe you one. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]1/1/2008 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 340 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �90.10 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8

Reading this thread: