Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,635 Members

Please welcome our newest members: RBARDAJE, CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON

Quit now or be left out to dry!

16 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This whole thing is almost criminal. I actually heard a man on the radio say," The revenue will not be lost, because people can't quit, they are addicted, so they will pay the extra money." I couldn't believe my ears!! We all know thats the truth, but for someone to actually come out and say it??? I almost wrecked my car. But my main concern is when these folks are done with smoking, where do they turn there attention next? Slowly but surely all of our freedoms are being taken away. Frankly, I'm tired of other people telling me how to live my life. I wish I could be a fly on the wall in a history class 500 years from now, just to see how they represent this time period in history. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,656 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $931.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 41 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
  • Quit Meter

$37,714.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 991 Hours: 22

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I think all the goody two shoes lobbyists who are getting these stupid laws passed should pay the difference! (Pardon my nastiness) :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 186 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,650 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,962.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
16 years ago 0 2534 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Lainey, The tax burden on smokers here is so high that it would be folly for any government to ban smoking as the revenue would need to come from other sources, primarily income tax and governments who raise income tax do not do well in General Elections! Need I say more?! :mad: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]5/18/2004 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1207 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 24,140 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �6,035.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 193 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
  • Quit Meter

$56,969.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 1128 Hours: 9

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 43

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

16 years ago 0 3875 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry to hear that Greger. What I am saying is that cigarettes that kill should not be on the shelves, or for sale anymore, and the gov's should be setting up programs to help people quit smoking. Its time they starting treating this drug like a drug instead of outlawing those addicted to it! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 186 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,650 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1,962.30 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 22 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 38 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Gen, The difference is that non smokers are not constantly exposed to dangerous second hand smoke. I had a sister in law who was a cocktail waitress all her life in smokey bars, a non smoker, she died a few years back of lung cancer. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 504 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 26
16 years ago 0 1056 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is my big bugbear (sorry Mr 1939). I think the total smoking ban was short sighted or at least not thought through. All the smokers now gather outside the pubs (of which there are a few are near to my house) and the noise level has increased 10 fold. Fag ends all over the pavement don't help either. I went to a country pub last week and noticed they have built a very tasteful smoking shelter with lattice sides to get round the 'enclosed space' aspect and with a nice table and benches. So what's the difference. People are still smoking - just in different places. The government seemed to think that by instituting this ban suddenly people would just stop smoking altogether but still the cigarettes are on sale and huge revenue is made all round from their sale so they will never go away. Smoking from the ears now! Gen [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 163 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,608 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �815.00 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 21 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
16 years ago 0 248 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a very simple answer for those poor nicotine addicts who are being pushed out the door. Skoal or Copenhagen. Think it's disgusting? Not near as stinky and disgusting as smoking nor is it dangerous to everyone near you. I could dip on airplanes, in restaurants after dinner, while I shopped for groceries, anyplace you can chew gum you can dip. Spitting is not really required once you get the hang of it. You can even go to sleep with a dip in your mouth. Dear God I'm glad I'm finished with all that. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]8/17/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 504 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $88.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 18
16 years ago 0 1113 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Kiwi's post reminded me of an article in my local newspaper, who have been following the smoking ban progress regularly. The article was following the rise of the social smoker. They showed this picture of a guy happily puffing away outside a local pub with other smokers. The thing was, he only started smoking after the smoking ban came into effect. The reason he gave is that he was bored being left on his own in the pub every five minutes. The other angle they are taking at the moment is the number of complaints about noise pollution since the smoking ban due to sheer amount of people laughing and joking and being noisy outside in the smoking area. It made me think of areas they had not thought about when issuing the ban. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]7/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 57 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,425 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �239.40 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 4 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 34
16 years ago 0 1148 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm with you Lainey and Unhooked. I watch what's happenning with the smokers (I'M NOT ONE!) and wonder what this momentum will want to consume next. The ground is being broken here and our backs will be next. It's more than a shift in opinion. We're creating laws, putting this in stone with penalties and legal discrimination that could prevent one from existing in society until they conform. Alcohol is next and who knows after that. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]3/15/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 176 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,520 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $739.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 28 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
16 years ago 0 363 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Nice Lainey, I couldn't agree with you more. This is the danger of self interest groups. You give them an inch, they take a mile. What is going on in my country is almost communist. I have always argued that if it's so bad, remove it from the shelves, make it illegal. Now mark my words, and it's already happening in some places, next are the fast food places. Now they're going to tell us how to eat, and if we want that Big Mac, we're going to pay extra for it. I believe in Detroit they have already passed a fat tax, charging higher taxes for fast food. Just another way for them to tell us how to live. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B]6/2/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 97 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,656 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $931.20 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 14 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
  • Quit Meter

$37,714.95

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 991 Hours: 22

Minutes: 41 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: