Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

logo

Social anxiety disorder

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Most Loved

Browse through 411.758 posts in 47.059 threads.

160,770 Members

Please welcome our newest members: MereM, browcari, Cas151, Britanica78, m_ladyschoolme

How I Make It Through The Urges-How do you?

17 years ago 0 25 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Most of my cravings come from tension and boredom. Boredom hits on the ride to and from work (1 hour). This is when the caving comes quicker, but doesn�t last as long. They seem to be easily distracted by fresh air, radio, water and sunflower seeds. I think these craving are mostly habit, because I find myself reaching for a pack where they always sat, so I keep gum there instead now. Tension craving aren�t as nice. Have you ever seen a show where an angle sits on one shoulder and a devil on the other? This is how I feel during these cravings. My neck gets tighten, the jaw is locked up and my chest feel like it�s being squeezed like an orange. On one shoulder I hear, �just drive to the store and get a pack and it will all go away.� On the other I hear, �stay strong and remember this quit is to prosper your life for your daughter.� During these times I tried many things: relaxing the arms and allowing my head to fall forward while breathing deeply and rotating the neck side to side, Get up from the desk and get a glass of water, step outside and breath the fresh air for a second, log on SSC and read some post� Some combination of these has worked so far, I just pray the voice on the left doesn�t kill the right. If anyone has other tension remedies please share. I have to stop these voices in my head�. Just kidding. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 208 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $35 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 31 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
  • Quit Meter

$254,564.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8467 Hours: 16

Minutes: 13 Seconds: 36

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 848 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Rainie. I can relate to your story. That's the kind of craving that made me slip up last week. I started sensing that kind of crave coming on the other night and I handled it differently. Talked to hubby about it, I think I posted about it (or at least read posts) and also took something doc prescribed to chill out a bit (anything that relaxes you would prob work - tea, cocoa, etc...) and went to sleep. By morning it seemed I cut that crave off at the pass. Anyway, thats my story. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/29/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 199 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $65.28 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
  • Quit Meter

$119,668.19

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6408 Hours: 4

Minutes: 24 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 925 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rainie....you rock! I usually go make a knucle sandwich :eg: and I like Phil's answer too ;p Pat Keep up the great work girlfiend xoxo [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/28/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 695 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $238 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 43 [B]Seconds:[/B] 3
  • Quit Meter

$121,920.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 971 Hours: 1

Minutes: 6 Seconds: 42

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
tryagain, sounds like a great plan!! tue-shea Do you guys remember that movie called "Cold-Turkey"...Dick VanDyke remember what they did when the urge hit? LOL.LOL.........LOL (wish I still could...hee hee) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,281 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $213.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 4
tryagain... ahhhhh...I see that you are using ....nicotine replacement gum...? Try replacing the NRT gum with a regular chewing gum... you are feeding your addiction. auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $213.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
Good one Rainie it happens... I take a breath and think..I don't smoke... (and from experience..I know these feelings, urges, what ever you want to call them ...will go away) and sometimes...I just get up and walk around a little. Phil...yeagh...sleep is good and the laugh...the Best Remedy! Pat..ummm a knuckle sandwich..now that sounds different LOL Auntdeb [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 44 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,223 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $209 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 2 [B]Mins:[/B] 48 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
When I get hit with one of those KNOCK ME OFF MY FEET cravings I have two major distractions which always seems to help me to ride out the crave.. 1. I cook! I mean I REALLY REALLY cook A LOT of food! Keeping my hands and my mind super busy for a few hours in the kitchen and doing a full clean up of all dishes. Afterwards I feel so much better and hey! I don't have to cook for at least the next 3 days :) 2. This one I use when the craving almost feels as though it's debilatating.. I take a long hot shower, wrap myself up in my favourite thick comfy housecoat, slide under my comforter with remote in hand and watch an uplifting movie! (usually a comedy) In the time it takes for the movie to come to an end I'm relaxed as the craving has now passed and quite often I'll fall asleep for about an hour and awake quite refreshed! Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 682 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 7
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Yes Susie, take a long hot shower and take in the day one moment at a time! The constriction in your throat and the tummy ache is a symptom that many of us have during a crave and hon it does pass -- but all the same it's far from a pleasant feeling. However you should feel so proud on how far you have come and embrace and celebrate your smoke free days :) (((((((((((hugs of support)))))))))) Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 683 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $306 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 23
17 years ago 0 3908 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rainie SO right many a time I just go to bed early to forget it and it works! During the day just get uo and DO something, anything to get rid of the craves... Best remedy is a laugh!!! Phil x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 8/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 190 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,998 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �997.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 50 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
17 years ago 0 95 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Morning all! I had to come here as soon as I woke. Yes......supercrave. Well I think that's what it is. My mind is in overdrive. Today is going to be a busy day and likely to be a bit stressful as well. On top of that I will have a smoker in the house. AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!. I found this thread and it has helped so much. I don't know why the thought of others suffering helps? Anyway My crave is also in my throat and feels like a constriction? Like maybe I'm going to cry? My tummy is still upset and on a daily basis, I am running to the loo. Feel such a wimp. Anyway going to take that hot shower and get ready to face the day. Must stay in the present. One day at a time. One hour at a time. Have a good day everyone :gasp: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/31/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 15 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 454 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �112.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 24 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32

Reading this thread: