Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

Which is worse?

17 years ago 0 1543 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Great post!! Also a great way to look at our thought process. If your gonna think about cigarettes it is better to think about the quit...than think about what will happen if you don't quit. I sometimes use this technique. If the crave overcomes me and I smoke...nothing really ended as I will only want another one in another half hour. It will just be going back to endless craves. Mercy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/21/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 22 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 458 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $98.34 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
lol my booty off Phil, good one [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
17 years ago 0 24 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Jan, Great post, I choose the not smoking one. When I smoked I was more depress because I was smoking and felt losy half the time. I rather go through five minute craving and being more healthy. Thanks Jan for the different perspective on my thinking :). Congrats on your 30 days, your awesome :) Cheers to healthy life. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/5/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 209 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $56 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Windy! Keep going, keep your thoughts strong and that spot wont touch you. You body thanks you, Im sure! Have a wonderful life my friend, have a wonderful life! Its yours! So proud! Jaset [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,757 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $478.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
17 years ago 0 204 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You said a mouthfull Jan! Glad you have your head in the right direction. Its now or never, or the end. Take your pick. However you look at it, it all comes out the same. We smoke, we get lung cancer, we smoke, we get heart disease, we smoke, we get mouth cancer, we smoke, we get stomach cancer, we smoke, our kids get cancer, we smoke, everyone pays for it. No one gets out alive!!! And the ironic part is that we pay our hard earned money to kill ourselves!! OMG! And the best part is that its not cheap!! lol. We lose no matter how we look at it! Just another mind game people, just another mind game indeed! We cant win IF WE SMOKE, WE CAN ONLY LOSE! And we will take our family members down with us. God help us please!! Jaset [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 11/17/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 87 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,756 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $478.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 48
17 years ago 0 1150 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Worst: the thoughts we had with each cigarette lit. Because the thoughts associated with a quit carry hope. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/29/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 45 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 455 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $225 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 1
17 years ago 0 2631 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
You are so right Jan...The change in my thinking has been so gradual that sometimes I don't notice....But today I was thinking "Maybe if I take this cold tablet my nose won't run in my personal training session", "Yippeee - I get a fruit smoothie tonight", "Tomorrow I'm gonna blow my diet but it's gonna be fun", "I'm getting more fit than I've been in a long time" and "I can hardly wait till my hubby gets back home"....kinda forgot to think about smoking (I usually remember to think about it when I get back home). This week my friend (who has had pneumonia for a long time) told me that they found a spot on her lung and that she went for a biopsy. She is a smoker. I remember that I used to think that I would never forgive myself if I gave myself cancer and that I wouldn't be able to quit if I did. I remember how I was so tired of my addiction...no wait...I was just soooooooo tired. It's good to be free! Windy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 154 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 3,097 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $770 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 15 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 58 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well said, Jaset. Well said. Bottom line: we smoke, we LOSE we quit, we WIN Keep those wonderful quits goin' strong, Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 924 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 9 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
That's the great thing. If we stay quit, there's hope.,,on many different levels. If we smoke, there's depression, fear(of dying-because that's the bottom line here), and just a feeling of lower self esteem in general. I've just been thru what I believe Lady termed as the "30 day pit", and aptly named I might add. The last few days have been tough on me, but its better today, and this thought really helped me feel better. Cheers guys, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 920 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 44 [B]Seconds:[/B] 24
Which is worse, the thoughts we had with every cigarette lit OR the thoughts that go along with a new quit? My thoughts with every cigarette I smoked included: I know these things cause cancer, Oh God, I really should quit. Maybe I'll be the lucky one and get no ill effects from smoking...then again...maybe not. What if I got cancer...OMG...I really should quit!!!!! Cig after cig these were my thoughts. My thoughts early in my quit were: Damn I miss smoking. Maybe today won't be so bad. I'm really in a mood right now!!!!! I'm really proud of myself. I'm really crabby right now. Maybe one puff? NO WAY - keep going. And so I have. The point I'm trying to make here is that there are some pretty miserable thoughts that accompany smoking, just as there are some pretty tough thoughts that accompany the quit. If you quit and stay quit, the miserable thoughts eventually go away, because they are only TEMPORARY. And you're getting healthier along the way. If you continue to smoke, the miserable thoughts will NEVER go away, because they are PERMANENT. And you only increase your chances of getting one of the many nasty diseases caused by smoking. Which would you choose? Just a thought when the quit gets a little challenging. Have a good one, Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/13/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 30 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 914 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $270 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 10 [B]Seconds:[/B] 35

Reading this thread: