Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,525 Members

Please welcome our newest members: PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH, ALAICA

Tricking the brain...

17 years ago 0 2417 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I agree with you Monica, about being positive and celebrating this journey. Every night I am so proud of myself that I made it through another day without giving in. I also look forward to the next day, I am excited about my double digit day (10). I can only imagine what it feels like to be at day 100! I love being in control of my life now, and I especially love smelling like a woman! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/8/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 10 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 156 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $42 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 43
17 years ago 0 84 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I hear you Monica, but your trick is tough to swallow. Cravings are cravings and mine are bad. I am as focused as the next person, but my day 6 sucks. I had a couple of beers and now I would kill for a smoke. Higher power, trick the brain, whatever. I AM NOT SMOKING TODAY. ARE U? [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 87 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $32.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 32 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
17 years ago 0 591 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Jimmy The Mick, Hey there...you bet it's tough,like Danielle said...you've discovered the trigger and dealt with it. I read another post on dealing with cravings and the one thing that kind of says it all.. We have to develope a Mental Image that "SMOKING IS NOT AN OPTION". I'm using Chantix, a new Rx that almost eliminates those hunger stabbing pangs of craving.It has to be prescribed by a doctor, and it is not cheap. Some insurance programs cover. Your Doctor may even be able to get you a discount, doesn't hurt to ask. I quit once for 10 years (cold-turkey...smoking was not an option) then, like a fool...I started back and remained a smoker for 15 yr. In the last 5-6 years I have tried; cold-turkey again...no good this time, Wellbutrin, Zyban, nicotine patches, nicotine gum, Hypnosis and was about to just throw the towel in until my daughter told me about the Chantix and she and I both agreed to go the Buddy Way and quit together. She convinced me to try this new Rx because several of her friends used it and QUIT! I do not have insurance to cover the med, but the med is cheaper (per month) than the cartons of cigaretts I smoked. The internet has all the information about the med. I was a 2+ pack a day smoker. In one week I reduced to 2 cigs per day. now...I do not smoke. This is not a nicotene replacement drug, it works with the brain to intercept or change the signals. I believe (in my case) that it also is helping with depression that would normally be so strong in these early days of quitting. Tomorrow is my follow-up visit with the doctor and we will decide if I should stay on this med for awhile. Good luck to you Jimmy..keep reading here at the SSC. Everyone has some imput on coping. auntdeb :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 17 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 817 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $82.79 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 29 [B]Seconds:[/B] 25
17 years ago 0 613 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Monica: What a great post! You are just FIERCE about your quit and that's wonderful! You're so right about the mind games -- I like your idea. Thanks for sharing. And thank you, too, for your incredible spirit. This IS your final quit. It shows. Keep the faith [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/8/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 101 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,077 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $808 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 56 [B]Seconds:[/B] 12
17 years ago 0 985 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
During this quit.. yeppers, I'm a re quitter.. but this time around I created a new tool to add in order to cope. That tool is to not concentrate and focus so totally on the quit, on the cig I don't want, and just not smoking in general. I decided to trick my brain and what I've done is to now TOTALLY focus on the GREAT CELEBRATION this quit is! I keep telling myself that it IS a CELEBRATION of a new life, a new beginning, a NEW ME.. Providing me with an enormous amount of great pleasures - renewed taste, smell, and I'm NOT stinky anymore! My skin looks great, my eyes are clear, my teeth are whiter and the list keeps growing!!! SO LET'S ALL CELEBRATE THE WONDERFUL QUIT -- trick your mind! It works! Please feel free to go to my thread "Let's Celebrate" and add some fun to this fight..because it is a fight and the result is ----- WE ARE WINNERS ! ! ! ! Kicking that nicodemon to the curb..right? RIGHT ! ! Join in on the fun.. keep that thread going.. Enjoy ! Live, love and laugh... Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 97 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $36 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 8 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
Absolutely Jan.. do whatever it takes to get you through! You're doing so well.. keep strong and know that I'm watching out for you :) Love and hugs, Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 128 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 17 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
Thank you Lady and faith :) Lady - quitting really is a soul-searching and life changing experience. It takes a lot of struggling, but hey! it's worth every ounce that you put into it. And as I said, I just keep it in the forefront of my mind that this is a time to celebrate the freedom of the quit. This morning I had the worst crave going.. 'bout to punch something, was really 'wigging' out but I kept myself distracted while reminding myself that this WILL soon pass and that at the end of this crave..one will surely follow ..when? who knows.. but just keep a positive attitude and celebrate the achievement to the fullest! One thing I wish to reiterate.. This is my 3rd quit and for anyone new reading this, I just want you to know that I LEARNED many new things about myself during those 2 previous slips and I applied that new found knowledge towards this quit. I added my new coping tools to this quit and now I continue to march forward. Life is just too damn short to be sucked into concentrating on how horrible a quit is.. for me, I NEED to have the UPSIDE and positivity else I will be an unhappy puppy and what use will that do for me? I know, I've rambled a bit here..lol.. Stay strong.. be happy.. sing, dance, and tell that nicodemon to go to h*ll! Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 127 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 5 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
p.s...I couldn't go near alcohol for a very long time! It would always be a butt and a drink..hand in hand... So maybe it's just too soon in your quit to drink? Just a little piece of advice... friend. M. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 52
No.. I AM NOT SMOKING ! And yes I fully understand those bad craves.. suffered through them today several times. It's just that I've got a new attitude towards those craves. It's a mind game with them and I will do anything and everything to squash them with all of my might. And that might and fight comes from my mind! It's not an easy thing to do and I wasn't suggesting in my earlier post that it is.. but with much practice I've been learning that the more positive attitude towards my quit and taking out some of the drama involved in the quit.. it.. the crave doesn't win! It's me or the crave and I'll be damned to let the crave win and I'll also be damned to allow the crave to take away the feeling of freedom and celebration of something that I'm doing to give me a better life on many levels. I'm a re quitter.. I'm not proud of that, that I slipped twice before, but I will say that I AM PROUD that I learned from those slips and now I've added to my 'coping tools' the learn(ing) ability to always focus on the positive of this life changing experience! I'm happy.. :) and positive :) and always celebrating each and everyday as a non smoker :) Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 5 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 116 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 32
Hey Aunt Deb and Anna... You both have great quits going! :) Everyone has a variety of ways to cope with their quits and throughout this site there's a wealth of threads to read and add to our own quits. Sharing is the key and what doesn't work for one, may work for another. It's a tough road with lots of bumps along the way.. it's all how we react to those bumps which makes our quits successful :) Love and hugs, Monica58 [IMG]http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/Monica58/Angel.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/12/2007 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 129 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $54 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 17 [B]Mins:[/B] 26 [B]Seconds:[/B] 44

Reading this thread: