Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,623 Members

Please welcome our newest members: SJOLINE GEL, Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING

Share your "WHY"...

17 years ago 0 11 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Pink, I quit because I enjoyed smoking too much. I'm not sure if that's the addition talking but smoking was something that was controlling my life more and more everyday in a world that doesn't allow me to smoke as freely as before. If I don't quit now, it's only going to get harder. In addition, I quit because $11 a pack is money that could be better spent elsewhere. I have to admit that I don't miss the nasty smell in my car and on my clothes either. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 13 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 138 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $52 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 21 [B]Seconds:[/B] 36
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, everyone. I quit because of my health but also because I did not enjoy smoking that cigarette. After lighting up, I always wondered why I had light up. The cost was starting to get outrageous and I just figured that if I could do something that would benefit me in the long run than I would gain. As far as I could see it was a win-win situation.
17 years ago 0 3 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My why is for health reasons. At least at first that's the main reason why I quit. But I also quit because I really did not enjoy having a cigarette anymore whether it was with a cup of coffee or not. I just figured that if that was the way that I felt about smoking than maybe it was time... When I went to see the doctor and he told me that my blood pressure was a little higher than it should be. He asked me if I smoked and I answered him with a bashful yes. He said that I needed to get my blood pressure under control first and then work on trying to quit smoking...Well I did it the other way. But I also now have my blood pressure under control and I do feel 100% better than I use to. I have been smoke-free since March 23,2004 and at times it is a struggle but no matter what life may throw at me and sometimes I've had crap storms, I just haven't given in. I just keep on thinking as to the original why of quitting.
17 years ago 0 132 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
After smoking for 3o years I was sick and tired of it. I could only find good reasons to quit and none to continue..... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 234 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $72 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 35 [B]Seconds:[/B] 45
17 years ago 0 37 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a great question to post! My WHY is for numerous reasons. The first and most important is for my health. I've probably already done a lot of damage by smoking for about 15 years.....that's actually really gross for me to think about. I want to be healthy and full of energy and not have to ever find a smoking room in an airport ever again (yuck). I quit for the kid(s) I will have in the future. I quit to smell better and look better. I quit to save money, and spend it on things/people that are important to me. I quit to be there for my parents when they get older and need me. I could go on and on and on.....it helps to write and read these reasons and see them in print as constant reminders of why we should not smoke. It's obvious that we all share something very important. Thank you to everyone who has shared their WHY's....it honestly helps! [font=Arial]Text[/font][size=4]Text[/size] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/16/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 4 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 70 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $16 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 46
17 years ago 0 47 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I'm a 55 year old, former professional athelete. Last January, I decided I needed to get myself back into some kind of shape. I have lost over 20 pounds and have been working out at least twice a week. However, I was still smoking. Those are minor milestones in trying to get my body back together. Now that I have quit smoking, I can really begin to feel that I am getting fit, again! [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/19/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 29 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $3.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 8
17 years ago 0 156 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit because I was feeling myself dirty.
17 years ago 0 87 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
My "WHY" I litterally hated taking in each drag of smoke, how terrible it made me feel. If I didn't like it why was I doing it? I hated inflicting it on everyone around me. I hated the smell, the mess, everything that goes with it. I didn't want my little girl to grow up and be a smoker. I tried a while back to quit but did so along with exercise and felt great, I miss that wonderful feeling of endorphins and the natural high from it. Was running up to 3 miles and never had done that before in my life! One bad day I had a smoke, and I tried running later on and could mabe get through a mile. I could feel the difference. Amazing how smoking will cut the lung capacity. I finally gave in and gave up. Because of smoking, I'm missing out on so much. Hell week almost over, and Heck week to come.... Bring it on!!!! BTW I started walking a bit today! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/14/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 6 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 104 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $21 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 5
17 years ago 0 41 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Well, July 4 last year, hubby Mike & I quit. I made it about 10 days using Commit and then we traveled to a wedding and we started "cheating". It was extremely hot - like 103 degrees before the heat index (NC is pretty humid) and while shopping, I started to have the worst chest pain. It truly felt like a heart attack. So I went to the Dr & the EKG didn't look perfect, so they ordered a stress test with the radioactive die; something didn't look right there, so they scheduled an emergency heart catheterization. This turned out to prove there was nothing wrong with me. So they sent me to a therapist for panic attacks. A year later, when I explained to the doc - not her PA who ordered all those tests - that I'd been smoking while taking commit she realized I'd probably overdosed on nicotine. This past July 4, I picked a day and was a few hours into the quit when a co-worker I'm close to called on Sunday to ask me to email work that her Dad had died. Before I ever hung up the phone, I was already saying - I have to go buy cigarettes. That's when I realized that I was smoking for emotional reasons. So I'm back at the therapist to help me deal with this aspect of smoking/quitting - found this support site, because I work in tech and am in a high-stress job and you guys will all be close by... I've been studying tai chi for a year and found myself in a 3-hour workshop for strength training over the summer. I pooped out about 2 and half hours into it; I just couldn't do any more. And that's when I realized that I did a whole lot more than I thought I could...and IF I DIDN'T SMOKE I would've had the stamina to make it all the way through. My daughter goes, too and we all envy how limber and strong she is...and even at 50, I can get some of that back, IF I QUIT SMOKING. Out of all these - the main WHY is the emotional prison I've been in. Smoking started out as a forbidden freedom and it's now a symbol of my enslavement. So I'm kicking the emotional bonds along with the addiction this time. I'm turning 50 in November, so what the hell? If I'm ever going to live without these burdens, now is the time to do something about it. I can't use NRT this time; my blood pressure medicine interacts with it, but I did quit for two years cold turkey about 15 years ag
17 years ago 0 2039 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I quit because of my health and my family. I lost my mother to cancer in January and as she lay there near the end, I promised her I would quit smoking. It took me a while, but I have no intentions of letter her down. No too mention, like Marie said(fellow Canadian, right?) you can't smoke anywhere here. When you go to smoke outside, you have to be at least 9 metres from building entranceways. I stay quit because I am wearing a patch, which makes it easier, and because of this wonderful site. I stay quit because of the support I'm getting from my family, and because I just can't believe I'm actually doing it!!! Cheers, Jan [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 9/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 9 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 279 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $81 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 25 [B]Seconds:[/B] 19

Reading this thread: