Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Social anxiety disorder

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-29 1:50 PM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-05-20 2:48 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.756 posts in 47.057 threads.

160,716 Members

Please welcome our newest members: grames, rainyjade, AJ8142, HIngle_McCringleberry, DezSkin

I'm so FRUSTRATED!

18 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hey island girl, I totally understand your frustration, but I also understand this awful addiction. It took me a long time to figure it out. But everyone needs to decide where they are and where they want to be in their quit. I kept smoking after my dad was diagnosed and died with cancer, we watched him waste away to nothing. I smoked through my mom�s diagnoses of cancer, heart attacks, emphysema, and high blood pressure - mostly all related to smoking or made worse by smoking. I was totally frustrated at hubby for not respecting my quit, which makes it harder. But like the others said above. It is your quit and you�re quit only, that you can do anything about. By sticking to your quit, you are showing people that it can be done. Maybe that will inspire them to quit. You are doing great, never give up. I will keep you, your husband and his friend in my prayers Cuddles It's better to be a non-smoker with an occasional desire for a cig than a smoker with a constant desire to quit...... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 16 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 326 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $57.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 14 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 5195 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Islandgirl.. There is one thing wrong with your friend. He is an addict. It often amazes me at the number of attempts to quit smoking and the excuses for continuing to smoke that we have all used at one time or another. I honestly thought I would be the old lady coming out of Walmart with an oxegyn tank and firing up a smoke. I never thought that I would actually be able to successful quit. Quitting is a life changing event but before we even get to that point we have to develop the courage to try. We have to be determined and have a desire to quit. Unfortunately, for some that desire never comes. All we can do is try to help those that want to help themselves. We cannot quit for those we love, just as no one could quit for us. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 7/1/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 308 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,179 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1078 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 27 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 27
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Islandgirl, This must be so hard for you!!! I don't know what to say! I don't have any advice, just support and encouragement. You already know that it has to be his time... his quit, but this has to be so frustrating for you! The diseases that this addiction causes are very scary, but what is more scary is a nicotine addict's ability to deny, rationalize and downgrade the seriousness of those risks and pretend that they don't exist! We all did it for years, and obviously your husband is still doing it. I've never had a friend or family member diagnosed with a smoking related illness, but I can imagine that it would be absolutely terrifying... and yet so many continue to smoke even after experiencing that. It's sad, really how much of a hold nicotine has/had on us! I guess the best thing you can do is keep on supporting and encouraging him, but not pushing him to quit... I know that must be easier said than done. I wish you the best! You and your husband (and your friend Tom) will be in my prayers. Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,749 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $780.57 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 52 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
WHAT?!?!?!?!?!? The man went to get his tongue cut out and was smoking?!?!?!?!?! Well girl, if you didn't know how strong this addiction was before, then I'm sure you do now!!!!!!!! As for your husband, we don't know for sure that he will quit... all we can do is hope and pray and hold on to that glimmer of hope. Vent anytime you need to! We're always here to read (especially me and Lady ;p ). Crave the Quit! Pam [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 189 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,749 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $780.57 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 13 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 53 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
18 years ago 0 989 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi islandgirl. What a difficult situation. I can imagine how bad you feel for your husband's friend. His diagnosis was your spur for quitting, much like my friend's diagnosis a year ago was the spur for mine. Fear is a mighty motivator. But the hardest part would be to watch your husband still smoking and the worry and apprehension that that must be causing you. I applaud you for coming here to vent. This place and these folks saved my quit (and my life) on many an occasion. The advice and support that you have received thus far is awesome. The only thing that I would add is that if you can find it in yourself (and this would be oh so hard), ISTOP encouraging your husband to quit. Show him by example that it is possible, but otherwise let it be. He is probably terrified too, watching his friend, but sometimes the response to that fear and everyone ELSE'S efforts to get him to quit can cause someone to dig his heels in even further. You mentioned that "we" tried this and then "we" tried this and then "we" got him this. The emphasis was on other people wanting it more than he wanted it himself. Sigh. This never works. You know from your own experience, that we only quit when WE are ready. We addicts are masters of deception, denial and rationalization. We are rebels who managed to ignore the information, the facts, the deaths for many many years. That rebel in us resists and fights back when others try to "make" us do something. Thus your and every one else's efforts may (and this is just a hypothesis) be making it harder for him to see the light. So, my suggestion would be to do everything but pressure him to quit. Show him by example. Forgive him for his addiction. Talk about your OWN process. Pray. Send him secret positive subliminal messages for the strength to stop. Love him! One day will be his time. Sincerely, Carole [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/15/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 387 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 9,689 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1354.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 53 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 47
  • Quit Meter

$795,235.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5686 Hours: 6

Minutes: 58 Seconds: 37

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 715 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Good venting Island Girl :) U say what the matter with him? Why won't he quit? Remember u smoked too. We all quit in our own time :) U gotta let it go and just concentrate on "YOUR QUIT". U are setting an example for him. That's all u can do but it really is a big deal to be a good example :) Keep up the good work! Keep posting :) No matter what,,,don't let the junkie in you let him be your example. U keep on being his example :) Did that make sense? LOL U know what I mean! No matter what don't lite up... Keep on keepin on... Cherie
  • Quit Meter

$26,922.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 589 Hours: 3

Minutes: 4 Seconds: 10

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1115 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Dear Island Girl, I believe nicotine addiction gives us a severe feeling of �it�ll never happen to me.� Another reason your husband might be having difficulty is that like all nicotine addicts, he �needs� the smoke to be in control, to cope with problems, to face life. There are members onsite who have lost several close family members to lung cancer and other smoking related diseases, and still did not quit for years. He has to want to quit more than he wants to smoke. You just keep on with your great quit, and hopefully, your husband will follow along soon. Cigarettes suck. How many good, decent people have to be disfigured or die before we all figure it out?! Prayers to you and your friend. Hugs, Hummy [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/5/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 365 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 14,638 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2372.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 47 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 1 [B]Seconds:[/B] 30
  • Quit Meter

$472,596.80

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 5385 Hours: 18

Minutes: 29 Seconds: 57

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Island girl, If it was easy to convince a smoker to quit...there wouldn't be any smokers. I have lost several family member to smoking. And I kept smoking. I had pneumo-thorax twice...from smoking. I wanted to quit desperately. And I still had several false starts. Anytime anyone tried to get me to quit, I dug in deeper. Be patient, supportive, lead by example, and keep praying. It worked for me. [color=Purple]~lbugg~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 414 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,993 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2732.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 40 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 6 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
  • Quit Meter

$52,620.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 921 Hours: 3

Minutes: 27 Seconds: 54

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
islandgirl, Our thoughts are with you during this rough time. Your right he has to do this for himself. Protecting your quit will keep you healthy, but he has to want it. You can only speak your mind and be honest. You worry for him and the future of the family. He will have to take it from there. You have 73 days and you should be proud, we are :) Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: