Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,789 Members

Please welcome our newest members: mandie1991, AGAMBOA, BMARCOS, KLIGO, LBUELA

partner ill??

18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
just logged on after a few days away. this is just to say thankyou for your supporting posts as to my partners illnesses. as she is not computer literate i showed her the messages. this was very timely indeed as she now realises that there are others out there with the same symtoms. regards ken
18 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
my partner has stopped for 5 weeks now.she is suffering/sickness/mouth ulcers/headaches/no energy/nose bleeds. visited the doctor today.he was bloody useless said you had to expect this (surley this cannot be and for so long)?? any advice. am going to report the doctor. he did not even examine her. she is very down now. and she has done so well. regards ken
18 years ago 0 425 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rollsroyce, Sorry to hear that your partner has such a hard time. I had nosebleed around 5-6 weeks into my quit, it lasted for about a week. I have read that this is fairly common. Carina [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/22/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 56 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $252 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 49 [B]Seconds:[/B] 20
18 years ago 0 128 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Ken, This is not a good time for your partner or you having to see her like this. Yes, you should report that Doctor. They spend years in schools to get a degree if they don't want to do the job they have trainned to do then they need to get out. We have the right to be treated with respect and to get the proper care we expect that we are paying for. Your partner did the right thing of going to the doctors even though the result was not favorable with the treatment. Now with that said I did go through headaches, not many but to even have any at all is so VERY rare for me. The energy comes and goes. If I take my vitamins and exercise my energy goes up. I walk in the morning and in the evening. If I don't then the energy level really drops. This also depends on what I am eating. I have started keeping track of the foods I eat and am learning a pattern of the foods that my system doesn't seem to agree with or that I feel is having an effect on me. I didn't have this problem when I was smoking but for some reason I do now. Go figure.. Nose bleeds I am still dealing with but not anywhere to what they were. It seems that the closer I got to 3 months quit and drinking lots and lots of water my body started to change to what some may call "normal" my husband or kids my say different on the word normal but at least I don't feel like such a pod any more. I hope your partner feels better really soon. Hang tough. Right now your support is the greatest thing she can have by her side. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/9/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 100 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,013 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $500 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 11 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 16
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rollsroyce, you're poor partner sure has gotten a double dose of bad luck. Firstly with her symptoms and then that idiot doctor treating her that way. I have had the loss of energy and some headaches, but the nose bleeding has me a little confused. Is it possible to take her to another, more caring Doc. They are there, she must have just drew a short straw with him. Congratulate her on her 5 weeks for us. That's great! Especially with her feeling so poorly. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 108 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,608 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $896.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 10 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi, rollsroyce. When people quit smoking they start experiencing a lot of physical symptoms they have never experienced, or expected. That, plus the fragile emotional state the nicotine deprivation puts them into, often sends them running to the doctor for the slightest discomfort. As a result, many doctors tend to see people in the early stages of a quit as hypochondriacs and treat them as such. This is not right and I am not condoning it, just casting a slightly different light on it. I agree that doctor does need to be reported. It is possible your partner is still experiencing all her symptoms at 5 weeks. I had sinus problems into the beginning of the third month. If she's still concerned, especially if there's a fever, you should have her see another doctor. Give her a hug and let her know we are all proud of her for being smoke-free for 5 weeks. That is a tremendous accomplishment! :) Take her out for a reward just as soon as she feels up to it. She has certainly earned it. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 331 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 6,635 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1257.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 61 [B]Hrs:[/B] 20 [B]Mins:[/B] 27 [B]Seconds:[/B] 39
18 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
each one of the things you mention ken are symptoms of quitting. everyone's quit is different,...for some the sypmtoms are worse than for others, or last longer. This is a very difficult addiction to conquer. Please do try another doctor though just in case, especially if things continue as they are. Things will still be rough for a while (mostly on the emotional side). Please keep being the caring supporter you are right now! And please ask her to come join us here! :) We'd love to help her (and you) through this! [color=Purple]~lbugg~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 399 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2633.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 38 [B]Hrs:[/B] 21 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 56
  • Quit Meter

$52,845.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 925 Hours: 1

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 1073 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
thank you for letting us know. keep checking in with us and maybe we can all help by proxy! :) [color=Purple]~lbugg~[/color] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 403 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 21,361 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $2659.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 39 [B]Hrs:[/B] 6 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 22
  • Quit Meter

$52,845.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 925 Hours: 1

Minutes: 17 Seconds: 24

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 579 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ken, What a supportive partner trying to find some support for your dearest. I am so sorry to hear that the doctor was so unsympathetic. Well you have come to the right place here for support. Just about every symptom emotional and physical has been documented in the history of these pages. There is a Search facility too if you want to look up anything in particular. Please reassure your partner that the symptoms can continue for some weeks and things get better gradually. We all get different ones - I had particular tiredness, some depression, digestive problems, aches and pains etc. Try and make yourself as comfortable as possible and sit it out. Plan some rewards and treats to look forward to. So is it worth it? Yes absolutely. I still celebrate quitting as one of the best things I have ever done in my life. Lizzie :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/23/2003 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 1093 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 16,398 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �4918.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 106 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 29
  • Quit Meter

$8,943.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 791 Hours: 4

Minutes: 40 Seconds: 45

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 12049 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
rolls, Everyone's body is different and the symptoms will be as well. It is obvious that these symptoms have lasted longer than expected. We usually suggest that you contact you doctor to rule out anything medical. You may also want to try clinic or the emergency room if you feel it necessary. Hope this helps, Keep Strong, Josie _____________________ The SSC Support Team.

Reading this thread: