Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,526 Members

Please welcome our newest members: eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou, AABBYGAIL RUTH

Sorry: I am about to jump off the wagon of quitting pain

18 years ago 0 21 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sorry, forgot My stat, here it is. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/26/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 236 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $31.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 33 [B]Seconds:[/B] 55
Eight days in quitting, I ran out of steam. It's hell in there. I got to where I cannot sleep, I cannot carry my job duty, my whole life becoming one endless craving. Gained some weight without even eating more foods; Even my wife is crying because she feels how I am so silently unhappy. I held on very tight, I was very stubborn, at the end It's not meant to be. My wife and I agree that this is wrong and intolerable, as crazy as it sounds. I heard stories about people quitting the natural way; I mean they indulge themselves little by little in a new life style which pushed them away from smoking a bit at a time, until gradually the cigarette did not fit in their life style. they did that, they quit the most comfortable way. They quit a step at a time, like they learned to smoke a bit at a time. I hope it is not junkie thinking, it is not the addict mind playing tricks on me; But as I said, these are stories I read about, and it is not my own invention. My wife and I have talked about a plan which she controls; it is easy for her since she's a non smoker. I don't know what else to say.
Thank you guys, Thank you for your words, the kind ones, the enlightning ones, and the reprimenting ones. I wish I read all of them before I did my deed; I can't even say it. I lost my 8 days for the sake of two cigarettes which I did not even dare to inhale out of them like I used to, consequently I didn't get anything out of them except the regret. I told my wife I thought these cigarettes were going to be more fulfilling than that, they were supposed to give me a buzz, an AAAAHHHH feeling; Well they didn't, and now I lost 8 days for nothing. What a looser I am! Now let's explore the execuses; First, I am quitting a 30 years pack and 1/2 habit. Second, being too ambition decided to do it cold turkey. Third, did not want to give up any of the triggers, coffee, tea, sweets, etc...Fourth, also I stopped taking my depression medecine which I needed more now than ever. Fifth, haven't slept well for past four nights and I need a good night sleep to start another long work week. I definitly was not in position to make the best judgment and sh... happens as they say. At least I learned something by now; - I will save nothing in order not to smoke again. - I will arm myself with everything available to stay off cigarettes. - I will take my stress medecine, and I don't have to give it up in same time as I am quitting. - Think that at the end quitting is the same regardless of the method used. Well now I need to get started on my stress medicine until it kiks in, these things take couple days. Also, I need to perform at work or else; Actually, my boss, who is non smoker, keeps telling about his father, who after fourty years of chain smoking, decided one day to quit cold turkey, and that was that, his father did quit as if he never smoked. See what I mean? thanks for everything [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 4/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 0 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 0 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $0 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 0 [B]Mins:[/B] 0 [B]Seconds:[/B] 0
18 years ago 0 60 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Adam, I am a day behind you - and it is not easy. I hope I can make it. The last year "I stopped" many times, and smoked again after 1-2 days, sometimes after a few hours. I suppose these were all failures, but it helped me to know my addiction. That was already humiliating - to realize that I am addict - and not a pleasant smoker:) I learned a lot. I also was cutting down - less than a week I was on 10 cg per day - but I suppose that was also a kind of practice of control. Of course there is "no easy way" - but we never know when we are ready, and the path of preparation can be longer than we wish. I also do not have support in my enviroment - this seems to me a lonely path - that makes the company of the people here so, so valuable. I can not miss it. You also not. Keep reading .... And keep quitting in your mind - slowly it will settle there... Enjoy the spring. Parola [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/28/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 7 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 151 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $45.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 21
18 years ago 0 852 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Adam, I sure do hope that you are back on your quit. The sooner the better, 'cause the more you smoke now, waiting for your meds to kick in, the harder it will be. Not just the withdrawls, but the harder it will be for your mind (the addiction). If you dont stop now, you WILL start to "enjoy" it again. An addiction takes only a moment to re-claim itself. Start now. (If you already haven't). No more excuses. Ya know -- waiting for your meds to kick in, is an excuse.............. I know its old news, but I have to put my two cents in.......... Your wife has no clue. She is a non-smoker, and has no idea what this addiction has on your mind and body. She will NEVER know. All of your emotions, good or bad, are because you are healing. For her to want the "old" you back, is mind-blowing. So, you can be an a**hole, moody, unhappy, whatever..... it is still better than killing yourself. Okay now, just my thoughts........... You did the damage to your body. Only you. So now, clean up your mess! Jump right back in. Your stronger now. You know that smoking won't change anything. It is not a quick-fix for life's sh**. It happens -- with or without a smoke. Learn how to cope without one. Re-claim your life! This is YOUR life. Grow old with your wife. Have a wonderful life together. You can't do that with an addiction over your head. YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 885 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $94.83 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 8 [B]Mins:[/B] 59 [B]Seconds:[/B] 54
18 years ago 0 2436 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
We are all here for you, but no one can make *your decision to quit but you. Period. Not us, not your wife, *YOU* Ran out of steam? 8 days? It's hell in there? You bet it is, and ya know what? Many of us are doing it, right now, today, right this minute. We are doing it. So one thing we KNOW: it can be done. There is nothing magical or mystical about our Quits. We just made a decision, backed by a commitment. And it is hell sometimes. Yep, you will defintely have to find a way to get past 8 days w/o quitting your quit. Adam, what do you do when you make a decision that is life changing and you have a bad day, or eight bad days? Do you just quit? hmmmmmmm... Your Quit is yours, and yours alone. Your journey is yours, and although we can be there and support you, hold on to you, listen and care for you on your journey, no one but YOU can do this. If and when you are ready to own your Quit like the rest of us do each and every moment of every day, let us know. We will be there for you. I invite you to do some serious soul searching. Blessings and Light- Healer [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/5/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,015 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $69.6 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 18 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 40
18 years ago 0 1687 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Adam, I hope how soon you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, because there is one. You might not believe that right now but you hang in there and you will see it. I know that you have read all the threads on this site how addictive nicodemon is, and I never relized that it is as addictive as coke and heroin. Now I will know how addicts of coke and heroin feel when I hear them discuss their recovery. And Adam that is where we are in RECOVERY, and believe me I have been through several HELL DAYS, and I was not very kind or nice. I look forward to your post tomorrow, even if you have jumped off, you can climb right back on. But you gotta love those 7 days!! SUNSHINE Blessing sent your way :) SUNSHINE [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/7/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 86 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,463 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $301 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$229,908.38

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 6396 Hours: 2

Minutes: 12 Seconds: 21

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Adam Are you really sure that you want to give up those 7 days? Really, the worst is over, things will start to ease up this coming week. I won't lie to you, week 2 is not a piece of cake, but it does get much, much easier with every passing day. Are you really all that "silently unhappy"? Or is that nicodemon living in your head the one that's unhappy? I think you know the answer there. You are stronger than he is, it's just a little frightening and intimidating to stand up to him. Go ahead though, stand up to him, you are bigger, better, and stonger than he is and you can and will win. You know Penguin is right about your stats....you even posted a second time to show them off....you are feeling proud of those 7 days aren't you? Rightfully so, be proud, act proud, feel proud.....boast your pride, you deserve to do so. Your wife is going to manage your quit? Honey, she can't do this for you, she can't feel the withdrawals for you......YOU are the only one who can quit YOUR addiction. Now, having said that, your wife can definatly play an important role in your quit. I would suggest that she do some research of her own and find out how to be supportive of you in your quit. I really hope you choose to continue with your quit but also know that if you need more time, we will be here when you are ready. Stay strong...you deserve this quit Sheila ;p
18 years ago 0 125 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Adam Just curious....how you are doing now??? I've been a bit hesitant to post this next part as I do realize that there are many ways of getting to a successful quit and different methods will work for different people. With that said, I don't think that quitting cold turkey had anything to do with your "jumping of the wagon". You were not too ambitious trying to quit cold turkey....In my opinion you let the nicodemon tell you that, your mental withdrawals overcome you with that lie. Do you even realize what a major accomplishment you had by having 8 days cold turkey? You already had the nicotine out of your system....it only took 3 days to accomplish that, so, you already had 5 clean days. Anyway, I'm not here to harp on what you lost or dwell on the past, just want to see you get back in here with us. Pick a method, whatever it may be, but Adam needs to pick the method, not the nicodemon. Hope to see you again soon Sheila ;p [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 59 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,788 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $295 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 4 [B]Hrs:[/B] 19 [B]Mins:[/B] 4 [B]Seconds:[/B] 14
18 years ago 0 58 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I just wanna say.. my quit date WAS the 24th of March.. 6 days later I slipped... it tasted HORRIBLE... I felt bad that I slipped.. but I hopped right back on the wagon... resetting my quit meters for midnight/the next day and started back on.. I have NOT had ONE single urge/craving anything since.. and it's been 3 days since that slip... I let myself down, and that was the worst I could do... but now I'm kind of glad I did have a slip, because FOR ME, that slip was a really bad experience.. so now my last association with cigarettes is bad, and not only that, I realized how much I really didn't want them like I thought I did... BUT everyone is different, and for most that I've known... it's "one puff away from a pack a day" and some it's two packs or whatever... don't smoke, or if you have already, stop.. you know you really don't want this.. especially after so many days... after 3 days the nicotine is out of your system... it's only your junkie thinking that is making you want go back to smoking... and yes it might be hard, but for some it's been harder.. remember that there's always someone out there that had a harder time than you, and is taking care of it better... I know that my stats show only a few days.. but this isn't my first time quitting either, tho it will be my last... and I say that with confidence because I promised myself and I won't let myself break this one.... [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/31/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 3 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 67 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $9.75 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 0 [B]Hrs:[/B] 5 [B]Mins:[/B] 3 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59

Reading this thread: