Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,503 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Ww12, Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr

PLEADING TO HAVE A HEART ATTACK..

18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Chris! I am amazed! You are doing awesome with your quit with all the turmoil you have right now. I am so sorry about your mother and very glad to see that You, your brother and your nieces have all quit. Your story truely breaks my heart. My mother is 50 and is a heavy smoker. Now that I have quit I try to explain to her just how much better life would be without them. She has it rough with coughing in the winter months and I know it is just going to get worse for her. She always sets these quit dates and breaks them with the "Hell, I've lived the majority of my life..." I always tell her "Wouldn't you like to live the rest of it?" I am glad I quit smoking. I think its a sad addiction. It is also sad that until you quit, you really don't see it for the evil it is! Wishing the best to you and your family! Stay strong! We are all here for you! Hang in there! [img] http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/whacky097.gif [img] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 234 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $86.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 49
18 years ago 0 415 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wow Chris! I am amazed! You are doing awesome with your quit with all the turmoil you have right now. I am so sorry about your mother and very glad to see that You, your brother and your nieces have all quit. Your story truely breaks my heart. My mother is 50 and is a heavy smoker. Now that I have quit I try to explain to her just how much better life would be without them. She has it rough with coughing in the winter months and I know it is just going to get worse for her. She always sets these quit dates and breaks them with the "Hell, I've lived the majority of my life..." I always tell her "Wouldn't you like to live the rest of it?" I am glad I quit smoking. I think its a sad addiction. It is also sad that until you quit, you really don't see it for the evil it is! Wishing the best to you and your family! Stay strong! We are all here for you! [img] http://www.freesmileys.org/emo/whacky097.gif [img] Hang in there! :) [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/12/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 23 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 234 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $86.25 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 13 [B]Mins:[/B] 51 [B]Seconds:[/B] 42
18 years ago 0 130 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christine: You are to be commended for staying with your quit in the midst of all of this tragidy. I have emphysema also and my wonerful wife and children convinced me to quit. for any one out there who thinks that it is too late to quit if you have been diagnosed with emphysema let me say this. I am breathing much better, I can walk much further, and I can sleepuch better. My coughing and weezing has deminished quite a bit and I no longer dread the thought of climbing stairs. Yes there is some perminent damage that can't be undone but by knowing my limitations and taking things a little bit slower I have made life much easier for mr by quitting. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to rant. Kaiser ps. Spelling never was my strong suit. Typing either. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,615 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $650 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 12 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 18 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 893 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christine, certainly is a thought provoking story and you are right, if any of us need any incentive to carry on with our quit then this is it. I am sorry this has happened to you and your family and hope that not only you, but the rest of us can learn from your mum's experience. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/6/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 29 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 350 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �72.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 5 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 42 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a sad story but, true and hopefully will help those of us who still haven't grasped the pain that emphysema can bring. And the fact that SMOKING is the number one cause of this air-stealing disease. My mother has had emphysema for about 20 years now.. She has been smoking since she was a teenager and is now 74. She can now hardly walk and has a hard time finishing a telephone conversation because she runs out of breath or starts heavy coughing. She takes lots of breathing treatments and is on oxygen 24/7. She still smokes about 1 1/2 packs a day and has no desire to quit. She figurs it is too late. She drinks more than she used to and is probably alcoholic now.. anything to fog the problem. It is hard to sleep near her at night because she moans in her sleep and talks through her moaning. Mostly she complains that it hurts and pleads for it to stop. Lately she has added something new to her night time moaning.. She has now started pleading to have a heart attack... and to die. I won't quote her exact words.. because they are just too sad. We all love my mother very much and want her to stop suffering.. She has a DNR order and has set all her things in order. She says she is tired of gasping for air and tired of coping. My brother and I have both quit smoking within the last year.. My brother has 3 girls who have also quit smoking.. Maybe the next generation in our family will learn a hard lesson from my mother's and my generation and break the cycle.. Here's hoping and no, I don't want to have a heart attack.. please ! Hang Tuff...... NOPE !! Knight Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 850 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 14 [B]Mins:[/B] 28 [B]Seconds:[/B] 59
18 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thank all you guys for you kind words about my Mom. I am an eternal optimist who deals with many things using humor or denial. I think that I live in denial that she will die one day.. just because I don't want to think about it..just won't go there. I have spent so many years watching her get worse and being angry at myself for continuing to smoke.. that I can't help being happy that something has changed.. Something good is going on now, with my brother and my nieces quitting.. yes.. time to be happy. Sad times will come whether we want them to or not.. and then whether we want to or not we will have deal with them. I hope this story helps someone to quit or stay quit.. Good things to come for us all !! Knight Christine [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 34 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 871 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $119 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 3 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 36 [B]Seconds:[/B] 58
18 years ago 0 481 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Just like to echo what everyone else has said - and here are more hugs x [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/4/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 62 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 754 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �74.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 15 [B]Mins:[/B] 39 [B]Seconds:[/B] 37
18 years ago 0 254 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Christine - I hear where you are coming from. My mother has also been diagnosed with COPD, still smokes, but the topper is she is only 61, has had several strokes which have left her unable to control her bladder and bowels. She is now in a nursing home because my father can no longer take care of her. This is the main reason I quit smoking. Not for her, as she would not know or appreciate, but for me. I DO NOT WANT to end up like that at the young age of 60. Sometimes just knowing you are not alone makes things somewhat easier........knowing that people are thinking of you.......here's to you and your family for what you are going thru right now. [IMG]http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f81/SSC4me/hug.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 78 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,174 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $526.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 1 [B]Mins:[/B] 40 [B]Seconds:[/B] 33
18 years ago 0 1079 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
What a sad, sad situation Chris. I feel so bad for you, your poor Mum and your family. I am sorry that she has to suffer like this. That is no way for anyone to end their time here on this planet. I am extremely proud of you for handling your quit so well and being so supportive of others while you are living with this tragedy. You're a real peach Chris. [color=Red]redrosie[/color] [IMG]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e58/saggysac/Greetings%20and%20Encour/thhugs.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/1/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 65 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 1,573 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $539.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 9 [B]Mins:[/B] 13 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 2364 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
[IMG]http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f190/cuddlebug230/ththHugs_Taddy_Logs.gif[/IMG] Christine Cuddles [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 2/11/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 24 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 485 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $86.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 2 [B]Hrs:[/B] 11 [B]Mins:[/B] 55 [B]Seconds:[/B] 41

Reading this thread: