Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,620 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Duncan Brown, BBEA ANGELIC, HMAZO, MLISING, JHAYLO

Just want to know what you think??

18 years ago 0 49 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
I have a close friend and she stopped last Monday. She was doing so good, and yesterday, her car broke daown. She was with a smoker at the time and she said she grabbed a cig and lit it. She said as soon as she took that first puff she threw it away. She ask me if that counted against her and I said yes, she kinda got mad at me, but I belive in N.O.P.E. and I guess she feels she hasn't "started smoking" again because she didn't really smoke the whole thing and hasn't smoked since but I belive she needs to start over today as her quit date. I am upset with all this really and I shouln't be because I know she is really mad at herself, not me. I just want to know if "one puff" is a slip? M.Robinson :quest: [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/3/2006 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 21 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 430 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $73.5 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 1 [B]Hrs:[/B] 12 [B]Mins:[/B] 47 [B]Seconds:[/B] 28
18 years ago 0 711 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It's a personal thing and I agree with everything that BS has written......don't worry about your friend....look after your own quit first. Brent [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 12/8/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 47 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 333 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] �235 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 7 [B]Hrs:[/B] 22 [B]Mins:[/B] 20 [B]Seconds:[/B] 38
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
mrsrobinson, Each person's quit is their own quit. We have a lot of members here who quit smoking with friends or their partners and it's always hard when the other one goes back to smoking, and it's easy to slip or relapse ourselves when that happens, but we must remember that each quit is separate and our own. Therefore, it's totally HER decision if she wants to restart her quit date. Here, when some people slip, they restart their meters, others don't and both are acceptable... it just depends on the person. Having said that, I would let your friend know that while a "slip" isn't the end of the world, it IS a dangerous slippery slope and can often lead to full relapse. A lot of times, we have a "slip" and think "well, that wasn't so bad... maybe I can be a social smoker afterall" and they are right back to smoking full time in no time at all (I've done that MANY times in previous quits.) You're doing a great job with your quit, so just keep that up and hopefully your friend will continue on in her quit. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/butterfly3.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 88 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,214 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $290.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 15 [B]Seconds:[/B] 13
18 years ago 0 2830 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
walkingeagle, I've felt that way too about the meter! I reset my meter after 132 days, but all that money that I saved isn't negated by the one pack that I bought 80 something days ago. I mean, I've saved almost $1,000 but my meter doesn't say that. But I guess that's the downside of resetting your meter. Personally, it has been the most honest way for me. Resetting my meter is what got me back on track, I think. I didn't reset it the first couple times and just felt like I was lying to myself... but at the same time, resetting it has been a blow to my momentum at times too. Looking at the meter is a constant reminder of my past failures and that's not something that everyone can accept and deal with. This is a REALLY tough issue and I don't think there's a right or wrong answer. "Don't slip" is about the best advice I can give. But if you do, then you're stuck in a very difficult situation. Crave the Quit! Butterfly [IMG]http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c177/kissnflirt/butterfly3.gif[/IMG] [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 10/28/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 88 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 2,218 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $290.4 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 6 [B]Hrs:[/B] 10 [B]Mins:[/B] 34 [B]Seconds:[/B] 6
18 years ago 0 2027 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
This is a real personal issue and everybody has an opinion on it. Mine is that if you slip it does not negate what has already been accomplished. Reseting the meter does just that, it denies all the pain and struggle previously invested as if it doesn't count anymore. I don't think it should require a meter reset unless the person feels it is necessary to atone for the mistake. Let's say you're climbing a mountian. You're a little ways up, but it's been a real struggle to get there. Then you slip back a foot, or so. Do you go back down and start all over? Or do you look at where you slipped, find out why, learn and continue on? There was a really good thread on this started by Lady. I think it was in the General Discussion forum, but don't really remember. I'll find it and bump it. Shevie [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 5/23/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 246 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 4,931 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $934.8 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 45 [B]Hrs:[/B] 23 [B]Mins:[/B] 12 [B]Seconds:[/B] 57
18 years ago 0 191 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Maybe there should be a "slips" section on your milage thing. Just a thought. You're days quit could stay the same, just add a slip... I know, it's dumb. Oh well. Personally we've gone without one damn puff. [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 3/17/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 313 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 12,548 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1878 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 52 [B]Hrs:[/B] 7 [B]Mins:[/B] 19 [B]Seconds:[/B] 10
  • Quit Meter

$383,281.88

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 9896 Hours: 8

Minutes: 28 Seconds: 46

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 167 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi mrsrobinson942, Your friend needs to make that determination on her own. If she learned from what she did, by taking one puff and throwing it away, I say she shouldn't beat herself up over it. Now, if she went and smoked a whole pack, then I'd say differently. The most important part of a quit is that you feel comfortable with your decisions. It can be psychologically damaging to a quit if you have to start all over at 0 because she made a mistake and had one puff. Rather than being upset and forcing her to start all over again, just give her the encouragement to go on. The important part is the quit, not the mistake. Jags [B]My Milage:[/B] [B]My Quit Date: [/B] 1/19/2005 [B]Smoke-Free Days:[/B] 370 [B]Cigarettes Not Smoked:[/B] 7,411 [B]Amount Saved:[/B] $1135.9 [B]Life Gained:[/B] [B]Days:[/B] 51 [B]Hrs:[/B] 16 [B]Mins:[/B] 46 [B]Seconds:[/B] 11
  • Quit Meter

$45,426.00

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 8153 Hours: 12

Minutes: 59 Seconds: 2

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

18 years ago 0 296 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Tough question........ :) Depends what you determine as "smoke free" days!!!! Whilst I "personally" feel that SMOKE FREE should mean SMOKE FREE - I understand that nothing is that simple :) Every quit is different - as are the "needs" of every quitter. Slipping is not necessarily something that should be judged.....just supported. We all have times when things don't go as planned - and quitting smoking is no exception. This is an addiction that, for some of us, may take several attempts to conquer. For me, yes, one puff IS a slip......but it doesn't mean failure and it doesn't mean the end of your quit - it takes courage and a whole lot of determination to recover from "just one puff". Rachel x One year, ten months, three weeks, five days, 22 hours, 57 minutes and 18 seconds. 13919 cigarettes not smoked, saving �3,131.80. Life saved: 6 weeks, 6 days, 7 hours, 55 minutes.
  • Quit Meter

$17,563.72

Amount Saved

• Quit Meter

Days: 791 Hours: 15

Minutes: 57 Seconds: 8

Life Gained

• Quit Meter

Smoke Free Days

• Quit Meter

Cigarettes Not Smoked

Reading this thread: