Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Stages of change

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-06-25 11:19 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

What have you learned?

2024-06-19 12:26 AM

Quit Smoking Community

logo

Emergency Happy Questions

2024-06-11 2:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Questions to challenge negativity

2024-06-03 3:43 PM

Depression Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.760 posts in 47.060 threads.

160,781 Members

Please welcome our newest members: LBUELA, RBORBON, ATIQUI, A_Cyclist, Cecilia_EH

Diva's rainy days...

13 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva,  a bit of story to let you know i relate.  My parents were married until mom died 4 years ago.  However, dad worked out of town (road construction) and was only home on weekends.  During the week it was moms rules then things changed.  I used to dread dad coming home.  I always felt as he wanted to spend that time at home and with mom that I was second or third fiddle (I have a brother).  Remember, there's some active alcohol addiction - dad.  
I used to think he chose the beer over me.  I was the only one who acknowledged his alcoholism for many many years.  I was the "bad guy/girl" because of this.  
As dad didn't consciously choose beer/work over me, your dad didn't consciously choose anything over you.  Both were aware they could make things different (in my opinion).  I, too have forgiven my dad and the two and a half years he lived beyond mom, we became closer than I knew was possible with him.  I had to let myself, taking that risk of being rejected, the beer becoming first (I set my boundaries - see relationship section) and I stuck to them, but on my terms- MY terms, we had a relationship.  I didn't have that option as a child.  I did as an adult.  And it was good considering I still had to contend with the beer.  
I struggled with the "consciousness" of his choice for years.  I personalized it, took ownership of it, embraced it.  I was wrong in doing that.  
I only know the horrid things that come from a step-parent relationship from watching my son go through it with his dad. When he was 17, he wrote that he had to accept his dad for who he was - I was 35 at the time and I was working hard to do the same thing, he'd already managed to do.   
I don't know that I'm being very clear here.  Except to sum it up - it's not you or me - it's them and we can't take ownership of their choices conscious or subconscious.  Forgiveness is one thing; forgetting and being cautious in our relationships with them is another.  Another way of looking at the results of your dad's choices - is look at what you've learned from that...what good things make up who you are today.  That you appreciate when someone shares something with you.  That's not a bad thing.  That you want others to love you in a caring manner, is that a bad thing? 
Maybe I'm oversimplifying the issue, but I like to break things down - lol, you and me and our psychology!  (my poetry at it's best!)
I took provigil for a while - used to treat narcolepsy though not diagnosed with it.  It took much documentation to get my insurance to pay for it since it was being used for my excessive sleeping.  It helped.  My sleep study was good  I hope you get the answers and thus the treatment YOU need.
It's great to see you Diva.  Miss you when you are not around.

13 years ago 0 223 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
HI Diva,

This poem is really powerful.  Thanks for sharing.

As Greg has pointed out, you show great insight into what you are feeling and this self-reflection is really helpful in dealing with any of your future challenges.

Please keep on posting and sharing.

Jason - Health Educator

13 years ago 0 71 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Catherine, you're going to be OK. No doubt about it. To be able to know so much about yourself, and express it so well, makes ME feel better.

Greg

Catherine,

Wow.

Greg

13 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Where Is My Daddy? By Catherine

Where is my daddy?

He is late again

He can’t come for me

There is too much rain

Where is my father?

He isn’t coming

He works, don’t bother

I’m understanding.

Where is my daddy?

He’s with his wife

Why won’t he love me?

Am I in his life?

Where is my father?

I sit here waiting

And time ticks over

He isn’t calling

Where is my dad?

I wait all night

I must be bad

I’m just not right.

The truth is, I have much love for my father and he loves me a lot too. We have forgiven each other and we are building a stronger relationship with each other everyday. But the fact remains that my brother was more of a father to me when I was growing up than my dad was. My brother was the only man in my life who would defend me, stick up for me. The fact remains, I grew up without a daddy. And I may have a father now whom I love and loves me. I may have a great adult relationship with my dad. But the little girl in me will forever be looking for her daddy to love her. I live with my ever-living wounds.

There are wounds that just seem to not heal. It doesn’t matter how much work I do on them to heal. I keep thinking it is healed, over with, in the past. But it keeps resurfacing, bubbling up to the surface like some ugly bubble of mental toxic waste.

Today, I have realized that, although I have a much better relationship with my father and that we have forgiven each other for whatever hurts we have caused each other, I am still not healed from the wounds our past relationship has caused me. I am now realizing, I have learned to live with those wounds but I will most likely never recover fully from them.

My father was a workaholic and I didn’t have him around much. After my parent’s divorce, I saw him even less. He was at times irresponsible in his care for me. Then he got remarried to a woman with whom I do not get along. I would qualify my relationship with her as a whole as toxic. She has her good qualities like anyone else. She is the reason my father has survived his cancer so well. I am grateful to her for that. But she is also one of the reasons behind the lack of relationship I have had with my dad for a long time. And me and my dad may have a better relationship with each other, but he still sees me only when she is working or traveling. I won’t go into details about my relationship with her or my dad as some things are not worth saying. Needless to say I carry many wounds inside me from that family dynamic. Mostly, I know, that my father chose her over me. Once I confronted him with it and he admitted it. He chose to remain with her despite the fact that it would mean a damaged or diminished relationship with me. I thank him for having the honesty and the guts to admit it. At least now, I know I am not crazy for feeling the way I feel. I have forgiven him. But the wounds, the gaping ever-healing wounds in my spirit, soul, ego, self-esteem will ever remain. I learn to live with them, deal with them, but I know those wounds will be ever-healing, never really gone. My father chose her over me, the man who was supposed to love me unconditionally, defend me, protect me, I was supposed to be his little girl. But I was sacrificed on the altar of his marriage.

And this has impacts in my life. I am forever looking for a father figure. I am forever looking for men’s approbation. I try to not do it. I try to remind myself this is unhealthy behavior that comes from this. I work on it, I deal with it. But deep-down I know it is there.

For example, just today, I went to my mom’s for the morning. Her boyfriend is visiting for the weekend. I woke up early and felt anxious so I asked if I could go over. And we had fun! We joked around and we spoke. And somehow the subject of my dad and his wife and my upbringing came up. Now, I tried to be tactful as my mom’s new boyfriend is actually a very good friend of my dad’s. But I realized how unhealed those particular wounds are.

Also, as I come home and reflect on the morning. I realize how much I want a relationship with this man. I realize how much I want to impress him. I realize how much I want him to like me and approve of me and maybe even one day maybe love me a little. He bought me a book; and that gesture means more to me then he could ever imagine. The fact that for no reason at all except kindness this man thought enough of me to buy me a present means more than he can imagine. And he doesn’t know it. But there it is.

The truth is, I have much love for my father and he loves me a lot too. We have forgiven each other and we are building a stronger relationship with each

Thank you Greg_C and Sally! 

I started the higher dose of my anti-depressant. I don't seem to much worse for wear. I am still tired but then again that is not why they upped my dose. I only start the meds for ADHD/narcolepsy in two weeks. 

Had a really sleepy day yesterday but still managed to get some stuff done so that's neat. I am hoping to have a good day today as well. 

Hugs all and thanks!
13 years ago 0 121 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,

That all sounds like such wonderful news! I truly hope the new meds make a difference. It is wonderful that you got more help.

Please keep us posted!

I'm very glad you're back, Catherine.

Reading this thread: