Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.749 posts in 47.054 threads.

160,529 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Heinz57, eggmegrolf, PearlCat19, mima, FrannyLou

Diva news...

14 years ago 0 11214 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Diva,

I'm sorry to hear you were upset by your mom's response but Goofy is right, if you haven't lived it, it is hard to understand.  To your mom it probably seems simply; just don't feel guilty because it doesn't solve any problems.  But we understand that it is much more complicated then that.  You can't simply flick a switch and not feel this way.  

Do you think you would like to try to explain to her how you feel and how her comment made you feel?  What would you say to her to help her to understand?  Try putting yourself in her shoes.  If you did not understand depression how would you want someone to explain it to you?

Ashley, Health Educator
14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, as much as our loved one love us, as much as they try to understand.  (speaking personally here - as much as a counselor can be trained to counsel, as much as they try to understand:  There is NO understanding until you've lived it.

Information I've shown my son has been helpful, books I read were wonderful, he read with as much as enthusiasm as I did.  Convsations with my son open-minded, I was open-minded.  I can almost name every consumer whom I wish I could work with again (not feeling guilty though) so I could do things a little bit different since I have so much more insight.

I'm not trying to make excuses for your mom - but I'm saying unless you've walked a mile (okay a marathon) in a person with depression shoes......

I am sorry you did not get the response you expected from your mother.  And ouch, with out trying to offend, do you have to have that response to overcome the guilt. Isn't the guilt coming from inside you - isn't it part of one of those negative core beliefs and/or related to them.  The hardest one I have to deal with (negative core belief) is I should be able to do _____________.  fill in the blank   Well. I have a new me, one with depression and in the words of my therapist....if one starts saying "coulda, woulda, shoulda" they get "shoulda" all over them.  Everytime I say that word - that phrase pops into my head.  I should be able to _____________.  I try to rephrase, if I do __________; then I'll be healthier and be able to do _______________.

It's like everything else diva.  Somedays it is firmly planted and is automatic; other days, it may take a week ot go, Oh, wait I was shouldaing everywhere.  I need to go back and rethink these things.

I hope this helps.  Again, sorry for the dissapointing response from your mother.  Keep your chin up, keep us posted.

14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I snet an e-mail to my mom basically it said what I said here with you about my guilt and shame and how I felt. I needed her to understand. I was sure she would.  She usually does, or so I thought. Her Answer: "Wouldn't it be easier to just do what needs to be done then to feel guilty and beat yourself up about not doing it?'

!!???!!!!?!?!?!?! Does she think I am making a conscious choice to be lame and stupid!!!???

Argh, I am going to bed!
Hi Diva,

I was sorry to read your post today.  Please do not feel like a lazy person.  As Goofy said depression is not being lazy.  Right now your "job" is to take care of yourself.  Push yourself if you are up to it, set small goals only if you are up to it, if not that is ok.  Do not feel guilty for taking your time you are doing what you need to be doing now. 

I think it is amazing that you know what you want, it takes some people a whole lifetime to figure that out. I can see how caring you are, you are a beautiful person, do not feel you "have to" do anything to be "productive". Goofy is so right when she said  you are prioritizing.  Right now your number one priority is you.   Work does not even have to be on the horizon now.

I know everything seems overwhelming but you know deep down it will pass and we will be here for every step of the way.

Stay strong,

Ashley 

14 years ago 0 1044 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Diva, I know I am telling you things thta you already know.  Depression does not equal lazy.  If we had a choice - as you've indicated, you'd prefer to be doing the things you described.  However, it isn't a choice.  That does not make you lazy.

I do agree and didn't realize until I experienced my depression, that I must take care of me.  If I dont' have me, I don't have family, friends, husband, cat, a house to clean, etc.  You are prioritizing your tasks - can you see that?  That is a positive step.  You need to take care of you; the rest will happen. 

Hang in there Diva- we are here for you.  I took a bath last week.  gonna  take another one today.  I'm doing a bit better.  You know I found a girl who just needs help part-time, paid cash (I know, not right), but work when she calls and yes, it is a chore to make myself go, but enjoy the work.  does not relate to my education any way what so ever.  But it helps me feel better and I am contributing to my household of 1.   I found this job through a friend of a freind.  It's physical labor  landscaping.  It feels good to be physically tired and not mentally tired.  I don't have to pretend, I can be grouchy, work slow, work fast, etc.  I know jobs like that are not easy to find - but it is better than being mentially drained from work and the depression.  Someone told me I was wasting my education.....I don't think so, it's mine, can't anyone take it away from me.  Just an idea re: work. 

Again, glad you are posting and letting us know what is going on.....worry about you when you disappear.  Glad you are posting again.! 
Thanks for keeping in touch.

I would learn to just be happy and well. Gotta go now. Crying to much I can't see straight and I don't feel like rewriting the part of my post that got eaten. Thank you for your questions and your ehlp and your support! See you again soon!
Hiya Ashley,

I guess I feel guilty because I haven't managed, yet, in my life, to keep fullt-ime employment for then little spurts at a time. Then I burn-out or have a Panic disorder relapse or both or whatever and I end up needing to quit, take a leave of absence or I get fired. I think the longest I have kept a job was two years and that only because my emploeyr was way tolerant of my erratic behavior. And I don't think I worked full-time the whole two years. The rest of the time I try to study in the hopes I may better my life or I do the whole "getting better" thing. Which means over all, I contribute little to my home, my family or society as a whole. I am not a productive member of society.and they truth is I am more then sick of trying to be just to fail and burn-out etc, etc, etc. I don't want to have to try anymore. I don't. But I know not working is unacceptable. How would my husand take bweing the sole bread winner his whole life? It would be so unfair to him. How would my family take it? How would they take having a letch for a family member? People would judge me so badly. But I am tired of trying of fitting into the workplace in vain and failing and worse, ruining my mental health. When I work, I work because I have to. Because it is what needs to be done, because it is what is expected of me. But I don<t feel up to it. It tired me out so much so quickly...And knowing that I fail at life makes me feel so shamefulk and guilty. But in a way I would like it if I did not have to go back to work at any time in my life. I know that makes me a horrible lazy person but that is the truth. Wow, I can't stop crying right now. I just want to sing and learn things and dance and listen to music and exercise and do what I get to stay healthy and well. My mental and physical health seems to be a full-time job for me. Add to that, that I would love to succeed at keeping a clean house for my husband and I am not sure I have energy for more. I hate that I am so screwed up and lazy and that I can't seem to make it on the job market. That is what is expected of me and I cannot fullfill that expectation. And also, it makes me vulnerable as I have to depend on peopel for well most of everything. My Dad bought me a house, my mom helps me out financially when she can and my husband supports me. I am a letch and I know it. And yet, I have not managed to change that and I am honestly discouraged and I don<t even wanna try to go back to workj anymore. I am just so tired. And that is my shame and guilt. I don't deserve what I want because I don't manage to do what I should.

And yes, I know what I want. And yes, I value family and friends and creativity and beauty and peace and quiet and calm, security and health. And yes, I need creativity and flexibility to function in life. And yes, I love animals and my family. I just want to be able to breathe and take care of myself and try to be happy. But I can't, I don<t deserve it because I should work and I can't. I am a worthless, jobless letch. And I don't know that that will ever change. And the truth is I don't want to try to work anymore.

In my ideal life I would not work. I would bathe and exercise daily. I would dress nicely for when my husband comes home. I would keep a clean house for him and cook good meals. I would not be overhwlemed by my daily household taks. I would still have time to sing and learn spanish and write a book. I would have a little band and we would play somewhere twice a month or so. I would see my friends and family often. I would have time to be a good mommy for my cats. I would have time to do my therapy homework and so I would be less sad and anxious. I would be calm and happy and serene. People would not make me feel ashamed for my life choices and I would be proud of what I manage to accomplish. I would learn
Hi Diva,

What happened between that post and your last?  It almost seems as if you feel guilty for wanting those things.  Why is that? Many of those things can be very achievable and you can have some of those things right now.  Diva, many people live lives that fulfill them and they do not just work in a job because they have to. 

It is great that you know what you want and you enjoy.  I think it would be beneficial if we look at one of those things and break down why it is important to you.   There are elements and values in those wants that you can have in your every day life.  For instance, a few things I may pull out of what you read is you highly value flexibility and creativity.  Is that right?  It is also clear that you love animals and your family. What else can we pull from what you wrote?

Diva, sing as much as you like!

Ashley, Health Educator
Hey Ashley,
I have been thinking about your question, what do I want. I have been thinking about what I spontaneously answered. Now the question I am wondering is I seem to know, more or less what I want, so what is stopping me (beyond the incredible feeling of exhaustion) from going for it, getting it for myself? Don't I deserve to be happy and free and to breathe! I think part of the answer to that lies in the fact that others don't have that, what I mentionned I wanted, so I feel like: what makes me believe I deserve it more then them? What makes me believe I should have it if they don't?...I don't feel worthy, I don't feel I deserve special treatment. If everyone has to work and exhausting sucky job to pay the bills then so should I! Who cares what I want. If everybody has to be productive in life, then so should I! I am no better then anyone else and as such should have no free passes! I am not deserving. So who cares what I want. Really this is about what I should do. And what I should do is just shut it and get my doctorate's done and then get a job and work like everyone else and help my husband pay the bills and be a productive member of our society! Except I am lame and I can't even manage that! So there we have it. I am at the end of my steam for this little thinking session. Thanks Ashley for the great questions and helping me think.

Btw, I did not speak to my shrink as I can't afford him at the moment. But I did talk to my mom about how guilty and shameful I feel. And, well, I wrote to you.
Hello Ashley!
He is cute isn't he? He is just so cuddly too

I will try and talk to my therapist as soon as I can afford to go see him...
And yeah, guilt can be crippling. I had realized how it affected my feeling but until you asked questions I had not realized it also affected my actions to that point! As for the difference between guilt and shame, thank you for clarifying. And I feel both guilt and shame on a regular basis.

And yes, I feel like a failure. Like a failure for not being able to do my study this year. Because my house is a mess. BecauseI gained weight. Because I cannot work. Because...just because...But yes, I do have a loving husband and fantastic kitties! And yes, I guess I compare myself to others. I compare myself to those who are productive and work and keep clean house and bathe everyday and just lead a normal healthy life! I just feel like I should manage to do better then I am! As for what fulfills me, lately I am not certain anymore. I am so tired all the time...I have trouble  doing anything at all. Plus my feelings are all over the place...Plus sometimes, I try and do something I like but I feel like I should be doing something I should insteead! Bleh! As for what would I want? Many of my dreams quickly went down the drain. I had to let them go. As for getting my doctorate I am holding on to that.

In a world where all would be good, where I had no financial worries, no pressures to be productive, a contributing member of society...I would sing, I would be a bard, a minstrel a singer!!! lol. I would write a book, a fantasy fiction book. I would learn the piano and the guitar and spanish! I would write poetry. I would learn photography. I would be a dog walker but only for little dogs lol, big ones scare me haha. I would have peace and energy. I would see my friends every week! I would belly dance and do yoga. That is what I want. I would grow old and happy with my husband and my pets.I would be a good daughter and sister and aunt and kitty mommy. That is what I want. I wouldn't have one of those jobs that scares me and stresses me out and makes me feel useless and worthless and incompetent. I wouldn't have one of those jobs that makes me tired and burned-out. I would have the energy to keep a clean house and eat well. I would have the energy and drive to exercise and be healthy. People I care about would love me just the way I am. They wouldn't pressure or judge. I would be a professional reader. Does that even exist! It should I would be good at it! There would be no more secrets to keep, no more secrets in my life. I hate them! That is what I want. I want peace and freedom and no pressure. I want singing and creativity. I want to have energy. I want to be able to just breathe....

Thanks Ashley for the questions, for helping me think. Thank you for your support.

Reading this thread: