Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Mother's Day is coming in a few weeks!

AABBYGAIL RUTH

2024-05-15 10:52 PM

Depression Community

logo

Addiction

Lynn123

2024-05-15 9:17 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

Challenging Worry - Worry Time

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-14 3:33 PM

Depression Community

logo

Fibre

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-05-06 5:05 PM

Healthy Weight Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.753 posts in 47.056 threads.

160,634 Members

Please welcome our newest members: CuppaJo, GCAJULAO, RPABIA, TEBON, SJOLINE GEL

things falling apart....

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Rosie, you don't say where you are from...that information may be helpful in knowing what resources may be available to you.

15 years ago 0 142 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hello rosie,
ditto on what faryal said, get a written diagnosis from your doctor stating depression and your workplace is obligated to accomodate you- any gp can give you a prescription for SSRI - we talked about that in another post - wellbutrin is not close to #1 antidepressant. i am so glad that through my husband (federal employee) we have great insurance  - i've seen alot of doctors and tried 3 different medications before finding lexapro. i know you can't get it generic yet, but it's similiar to celexa and that they have in generic - that will save you a lot of money. if your boss is saying time off with pay, go for it! and try to relax and do some research on your own about depression/anxiety and how to find and talk to doctors. there are good and bad ones, like anything else. could your hubby find a p/t job? that would take alot of pressure of you! hang in there......i know it's hard, but you're not alone.
15 years ago 0 823 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Rosie,   I'm sorry that work has become so overwhelming and distressing for you.  It is totally understandable that you are fearful of losing your job especially at this time when you need it financially.   It is important for you to know that most workplaces are obligated to accommodate employees when they have been diagnosed with a medical or mental disorder in order to support them. Have you received a medical diagnosis of depression from your doctor? You may want to discuss this with your HR department to find out how they can accommodate you and your responsibilities given that you are not well.   Is it possible for you to work part-time hours instead of full-time.........or even less hours each week? Can you request to have some of your responsibilities taken away until such a time that you feel better? Please check with your HR on these questions  and also on local support groups for depression. It is strange that the employee assistance program at your work does not have counsellors for depressed individuals.   You may also want to check with your doctor about local support groups for depression since you cannot afford a psychiatrist. Most often these are free.   Have you been working through this program? Please keep us posted on your progress and on any outcomes.   Good luck,     Faryal, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0

I was called in by my boss today and he is worried about me. I just feel like the simplest task takes so much effort. I hardly have strengh to get up and go to work, nevermind cope there and I am 'not acting professionally' and making alot of mistakes. He suggested I see a psychologist but my medical aid fund is finished for the year (thanks to a hypochondriac of a husband) so I really cannot afford to a psychologist. I tried to contact our toll free line at work but they have no councellors for depression and the lady thought it was an odd request. I feel like no one can help me. I really feel like my last bit of strength is leaving me. I might lose my job because of this and my husband is studying so my salary pays the rent, our car, our food etc. I can't afford to lose my job over this, but don't know how to deal with it. He also suggested I take time off to sort out my personal stuff, but I feel like even if I take time off- I still won't be able to magically fix my entire life in a few weeks...... please help!

Reading this thread: