Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,499 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

Not waking up in the morning...

14 years ago 0 271 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Ahh the sleep, I would love to be able to do that.  My hubby keeps saying get up, get up you have to go to work.  I don't wanna go to work, I just wanna sleep and sleep and sleep until my mind and body say ok get up.  Unfortunately, someone's gotta pay the bills. 
If you can sleep until you mind and body says to get up.  If you can't sleep as much as possible in between.  Don't beat yourself up because you need the sleep.  Don't push yourself if there is no reason to push.  I believe that all the pushing is what keeps us down.  Our minds and bodies know when enough is enough and will direct us where to go and what we need to do.
If it were just ourselves, I know it would be so much easier to allow the me time, but there are so many external factors and obligations that we tend to push ourselves to the bottom of the list until we forget that we have needs too.
So be good to yourself, get the rest you need and remember we are here for you.
14 years ago 0 910 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hello,

I am finding myself needing much more sleep then before. I sleep like 12 hours a day easy. I used to fight it and make myself miserable and I ended up being more and more tired. Now, after tons of people telling me to be nice to myself and let myself sleep, I am finally having days where I am just tired and not exhausted. So I let myself sleep whenever I need to! I figure when my body has had enough it will let me know!
14 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Wildcat -
I just saw this, sorry it took me so long. I dropped off the program for a while.
I have been through a lot of stressful activities in the last two years. A terrible abusive job, cbt therapy for self-harm, losing a job I really liked, losing my apartment and moving into my grandparents old house (they don't live here anymore, and I'm caretaking it) up in the hills, a recurring back injury, chronic back pain, a new psych, and a low grade depression I kept trying to escape from by keeping busy.

I think you may be right. I've needed a lot of sleep, and I keep beating myself up, but I am seriously exhausted, and I keep pushing and pushing myself to get better...it's hard to be nice to myself. 

Thanks for the words of advice. My body has been through too much stress, right at the verge of what I can handle, and I think it's just trying to tell me that before I jump into another job.

15 years ago 0 456 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
blackcat,
if you are taking meds to sleep, talk to your doctor about them ... I was taking only a tiny 25mg of seroquel to help me fall asleep and it was causing a lot of trouble. Seems I am somewhat 'allergic' to it, in that I react to the medication tooo well!  So I split the pill when I feel my moods changing and it helps to keep me stable (with the ok of my psychiatrist of course!).

You know that depression is one part emotional and one part physical.  Is it possible tat you are in a phase where you body needs the rest to heal ?  In the past 18 months were you under a lot of stress? took new/started  meds?  lived through a lot of changes?  Ignored the symptomes of your illness till you fell flat - I did that a time or two-?  These are only some of the stressors that might have caused damage to you and you need a physical healing. 
** That is why part of the CBT is Pleasurable Activities and why Sleep is very important. ** 
Without these the mind and body do not get their chance to recuperate. 
15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Thanks for the replies.

Yea, it's really hard. I feel like not much is motivating me to get up. And some of my medications make me extremely sleepy. 

I just don't know what to do about it. I think I need to work on not feeling bad about it, it's just another reason to beat myself up, and I don't need more of that right now. I've noticed my mood has been going up and down every couple of days since I started this program, and I wish I saw more quicker progress, but I am not going to give up and I know it takes time to get better!

15 years ago 0 2 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Now you do!  Since I stopped working 3 years ago, sleeping late and long has been a big problem.  I keep having to remind myself (and others) that although it's inconvenient and sometimes keeps me away from spending time with family and friends, it's not a MORAL failing.  I think that our society has an excessive bias against sleeping late.

Although I'm working on changing this habit, I try not to feel GUILTY about it.  In fact, it wouldn't bother me at all if it didn't sometimes interfere with accomplishing other things.

And if you sleep longer than the 'normal' 8 hours, you might need the sleep.

15 years ago 0 406 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Blackcatno9,

Don't be discouraged!  Sounds like you've made major progress in your waking times, good for you

I recommend you speak with your doctor about the methylprenidate not taking effect as it may need to be titrated to your response (may require an increase in dosage).

How late do you go to sleep?  Try making your sleep environment as relaxing as possible, perhaps a nice hot bath before bed will help.  Members, have any other suggestions?

Keep us posted!

Karen, Health Educator
15 years ago 0 6 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Everyone,
I've started working on the CBT program and I am liking it so far! 

My biggest obstacle right now is simply getting up in the morning. Every day I sleep in until at least 11am, and the last few days it's been almost noon. My doctor put me on methylphenidate to counteract this, but it's not working to help this aspect at all.

I have no idea why I need to sleep 11-12 hours per night. It's counter productive to getting up and going out in the world, going to self-help meetings or on hikes, I keep forgetting, and even if I have something to do or somewhere to be, I still sleep. 

I tried a CBT technique from "Feeling Good" that worked one time, and I've been trying to do it again and again, but I seem to be stuck at 11-12am.

It's better than 1 or 2 pm, like I was doing before, or 3-5pm, like I did when I stayed up late...

I just don't know if it's the medications I'm on, a lack of willpower, a severe need for sleep...but it's hard to wake up when I have no motivation really, and I am having a hard time convincing myself all the thing that will be positive about waking up early are worth it.

I open my eyes - but I usually close them for "just a couple of minutes". That may be my key there...somehow not allowing myself to close my eyes...but just rolling out of bed. And not getting back in!

does anyone have similar problems? Suggestions? I don't know anyone else who sleeps this late!

Reading this thread: