Get the Support You Need

Learn from thousands of users who have made their way through our courses. Need help getting started? Watch this short video.

today's top discussions:

logo

Challenging Worry

Ashley -> Health Educator

2024-04-20 11:42 PM

Depression Community

logo

Hello

Linda Q

2024-04-11 5:06 AM

Anxiety Community

logo

Addiction

2024-04-08 3:54 PM

Managing Drinking Community

logo

New Year's Resolutions

2024-03-25 2:47 AM

Managing Drinking Community

This Month’s Leaders:

Most Supportive

Browse through 411.748 posts in 47.053 threads.

160,498 Members

Please welcome our newest members: Fwcl, anonymeLouise, RDANIELA NICOLE, Lfr, CPADUA

diet.... staying on

15 years ago 0 1693 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sheba,

I think that you are right. If you feel great after your class, that is incentive enough to want to keep going back. Working out with a friend or a trainer also makes exercise more enjoyable.
Thanks for sharing sheba!

Breanne, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 185 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
It is very difficult to start but then you discover the you feel better. And feeling better is a great incentive. I've been thrown in the pool by my doctor after I had a really bad crisis cause my back (a slipped disk and another compressed).
Before I was terrorized by water. Even now without my friend (the aqua-fitness belt) I go under. But the way I feel after the class keeps me going. And I got also some confidence with water. So is important to start and I think that you should go to the gym. It is easier to keep going if you have a trainer helping out.

15 years ago 0 8760 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
DJ,

Exercise can be difficult to get into. The trick is to start small and work on getting into the habit. For instance, in your case, taking a walk once a week may be the goal and over the course of a few weeks of months increasing it to 3 times a week. The bonus about physical activity is that it does promote good mood and once that cycle gets started, likely you'll be motivated to keep going. It may also help boost your self-esteem if weight is an issue for you.

How to get started? Pick a day in the week and a set time. Make yourself go, even if it's just a 5 minute walk around the block, it's a start! That's all were shooting for, getting you into the habit of going.

Try it out and let us know how it goes.

Danielle, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 82 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Exercise,I want to but dam its so hard to get motavated I'd like to go jogging it looks like somthing I'd enjoy but I just can't get motivated to go out an do it? I bought some dumb bells but havent put them to use yet, although I did have to carry them into the house from the car,lol. I need motivation!
15 years ago 0 1153 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Sheba,   Getting on a healthy eating and exercise plan is an important part of managing your depression.When you eat well and exercise you are more likely to feel better about yourself. Exercise helps stimulate endorphines which contribute to feeling good.    Try to get yourself on a steady plan and push yourself to maintain it. Journal all of your daily food intake and exercise. This will help you stay focused and on track. If you find yourself going into crisis, challenge yourself to get to the gym and eat healthy meal.
  You can also head over to our sister site: HealthyWeightCenter.net . There is a lot of really great information on healthy eating, exercise and finding the motivation to keep going.

Brenna, Bilingual Health Educator
15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
Hi Sheba,

Don't forget to excersise, especially if you're going off your antidepressant.  I also need to lose weight and find that the exercise really helps my mood also.  It feels good to exercise muscles that have been ignored.  Along with healthy foods to eat I find I feel much better. 
Don't despair if you don't always feel like dieting.  Cut yourself some breaks and look at why your not in "diet mood".  Find ways to be honest about your feelings without blaming yourself for having them.  (you didn't gain the weight overnight and it won't leave overnight either)

Thank you very much!
In fact i'm going off antidepressants. I started tappering last we. In two months i should be completely off.

15 years ago 0 3043 logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo logo 0
hi Sheba,

Are you on anti-depressants?  They tend to slow down the up-take of a neuro-transmitter and the digestion as well!  So food has a longer stay in the gut and you get more out of it... more weight.  It is not an easy task to lose weight. 
 Next  are you attracted to certain foods in crisis?  When I go depressed I crave carbs and when I go hypo-manic it is fats!  So late night alone crying leads me to cakes, cookies, ice-cream,... and over-worked dead-lines push me to Mcdo and the local europeen sausage shops! 

I am 36 and 5'3" and at 270lbs.  But my blood tests and all say I am okay.  I am active with the kids - biking, walking, and running for groceries.  I am seated the rest of the time at work in front of the computer.

I have taken up crunching on Baby Carrots instead of chips! Sweet and tongue-friendly.  And now I am hoping to get some swimming done with the kids... we will see.

good luck with your goals.
I have trouble being constant and finding the "diet mood". I generally eat healthy food but not when i'm in crises when i eat everything since filling like to throw out....
If i'm hungry and depressed is more likely to go into crisis and i can't find a balance. I need to get read of a lot of weight... so any suggestions are welcome.

Reading this thread: